Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> LED's vs Incandescent Lighting, Some data and discussion
pbanders
post Sep 28 2016, 12:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 805

OK, I think I'm "finished" with my LED conversion on my car. I converted nearly every light in the car to LED's. Only lights I didn't convert were the fresh air fan indicator, and the non-illumination lights in the dash cluster. Headlights are WHDZ LED 7" from Amazon, all other bulbs from superbrightleds.com. Total cost including shipping and tax was $304. I originally tried H4 LED conversion bulbs but didn't like them, and went with the WHDZ lights instead, which meet my needs. I also converted my fog/driving lights to LED, the lights I bought were $14 a pair from Amazon, so including those brings me to $318.

My purpose was twofold: better lighting, and lower current draw. I hoped with the lower current draw that issues I've had with parasitic alternator drag pulling down the idle with the lights on would be improved. Both goals were definitely accomplished.

With the stock incandescent lights, if you have the lights on and you're using the low beams, the current draw from all of the lights (marker lights, F/R parking lights, headlights, license plate lights, trunk light, instrument lights) is 19.5 A at 12.8 V. Replacing those lights with the LED's I described above results in a current draw of 5.0 A, a reduction of 14.5 A (~75% reduction).

For the first time since I've owned this car, turning on the lights has no effect on the idle. You could probably do the same thing by changing the alternator to a 70 A or the 160 A conversion, but you wouldn't get the improvement in lighting and it would likely cost a lot more. I can even turn on the fresh air blower, heater, or windshield wipers with the lights on at idle - though I think if I turned them all on simultaneously that would be pushing my luck too far.

The lighting is vastly improved. The marker and parking lights are far brighter, as is the reverse lighting (actually useful, now). I can see things in my trunk. My interior light actually lights my interior. My instrument markings are white now and not a dull yellow. I need to build a PWM dimmer for them that works off of the dimmer knob, as right now, they're "on" or "off" (kind of how LED's work with DC voltage).

Headlights are vastly improved. They're so white that when I see cars with halogen lights they look like kerosene lanterns. I'm not a big fan of the WHDZ low beams (not as uniform a pattern as I'd like), but in combo with my fog/driving lights, they're awesome. The WHDZ high beams are excellent, great pattern and super throw.

IMO, it's a good upgrade for our aging cars. Superbrightled's has a nice vehicle system that will tell you all the lights you need. You can find the WHDZ lights on Amazon easily if you search for "WHDZ", they're $64 ea. Or, you can go with the Truck-Lites (~$170 ea) or the GE Nighthawks (~$220). There are some other projector-style LED lights on Amazon if you want to go that way.

Some pics below....

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
pbanders   LED's vs Incandescent Lighting   Sep 28 2016, 12:12 AM
matthepcat   Great write up and thanks for providing actual bef...   Sep 28 2016, 12:20 AM
maf914   Thanks for a great write-up and for listing your s...   Sep 28 2016, 06:19 AM
N_Jay   Any chance you can list the specific bulbs you use...   Sep 28 2016, 06:46 AM
sfrenck   Any chance you can list the specific bulbs you us...   Sep 28 2016, 06:49 AM
pbanders   [quote name='N_Jay' post='2404177' date='Sep 28 2...   Sep 28 2016, 08:01 AM
Spoke   ...here's what I bought from them: [*]Qty. 4 ...   Sep 28 2016, 10:32 AM
pbanders   [quote name='pbanders' post='2404204' date='Sep 2...   Sep 28 2016, 10:45 AM
Sandy Teener   I did the same to my headlights and am super happy...   Sep 28 2016, 06:54 AM
Bartlett 914   I recently installed headlights from Vintagecarled...   Sep 28 2016, 07:52 AM
pbanders   I recently installed headlights from Vintagecarle...   Sep 28 2016, 08:24 AM
pbanders   whoops, made accidental double post. Is there any ...   Sep 28 2016, 08:26 AM
pbanders   I knew I'd forget something. Also buy qty. 2 o...   Sep 28 2016, 08:16 AM
N_Jay   I knew I'd forget something. Also buy qty. 2 ...   Sep 28 2016, 10:40 AM
timothy_nd28   I also agree with the LED market explosion over th...   Sep 28 2016, 08:48 AM
pbanders   I also agree with the LED market explosion over t...   Sep 28 2016, 10:36 AM
bandjoey   Been waiting for Mikeys headlight bucket rebuild k...   Sep 28 2016, 07:46 PM
pbanders   My aiming yesterday was seat-of-the-pants, I knew ...   Sep 28 2016, 09:50 PM
brownaar   Brad, Did you have any issues with the LED bu...   Oct 26 2016, 06:37 PM
pbanders   Brad, Did you have any issues with the LED b...   Oct 26 2016, 09:04 PM
Coondog   I am runnng LEDs on everything but my Fogs "p...   Oct 26 2016, 08:14 PM
ConeDodger   Classic... :first:   Oct 27 2016, 04:04 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:57 AM