Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: nice horns and brackets for '73
BillC
post Sep 28 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Got one coming, so not looking any more. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I discovered recently that my '73 1.7 is missing the passenger-side horn assembly. Since the wires are taped up, it looks like it was deliberately removed by a P.O at some point in the past.

So, I'm looking for a nice-condition horn and mounting bracket(s) to replace it. I'm willing to buy a pair of horns if necessary, but it/they need to have everything needed to install (brackets, nuts/bolts, etc.), since everything horn-related is missing from the passenger side except the wires.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 28 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

If it matters to you the horns are different frequencies. Marked on tbe back side. I might have a good one but cant check for a week as i am out of town.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Sep 28 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the info! I pulled the horn that is installed, and it's the 400 Hz version. So, I need the other one, which is 335 Hz, according to PET. I also need the mounting bolt and washer that goes along with it, although I can get those at the hardware store if I have to.

As mentioned earlier, I'm willing to buy a pair of horns, if y'all don't want to break up a set.
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Sep 29 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Another point is that not all 914's came with two horns. The factory taped up the unused wires and tucked them up when the second horn was not installed. That is how my car was delivered.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Sep 29 2016, 12:38 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 29 2016, 12:38 PM) *

Another point is that not all 914's came with two horns. The factory taped up the unused wires and tucked them up when the second horn was not installed. That is how my car was delivered.

Really? Hmm, that's interesting. Kinda makes sense, since I can't see why a PO would want to remove one horn. How can I tell if it came with two horns or only one?

My 914 is a base-model '73 1.7, built in April '73. What year & trim level is yours?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 29 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #6

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(BillC @ Sep 29 2016, 11:38 AM) *

Really? Hmm, that's interesting. Kinda makes sense, since I can't see why a PO would want to remove one horn. How can I tell if it came with two horns or only one?

My 914 is a base-model '73 1.7, built in April '73. What year & trim level is yours?

I think it was the 75-76 cars that came with one horn.

1970 - 1972 cars had horn covers attached with screws. Later horns had rivets attaching the cover. No functional difference but if it were for a 914-6 the owner would want it ti be correct.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 29 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #7

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 29 2016, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(BillC @ Sep 29 2016, 11:38 AM) *

I think it was the 75-76 cars that came with one horn.

No Bruce, & for Bill's benefit -

The dual horns was an option for all model years, & it was included in the Appearance Group of options (AG) - so by default since almost every `76 was a 2L loaded with options/AG & had the dual horns.

Bill, you should check your new car window sticker, dealer BoS (new) or COA to see if yours originally came with the AG - & some 914s came with some options of the AG, but not the AG. So just seeing chrome bumpers & the sail vinyl with "chrome" trim, etc. doesn't equate to AG, since they can all be added individually.

If you don't have any of the above docs, then you can order your COA from PCNA & get a $10 discount by mentioning their ad in Panorama or Excellence, or $20 IIRC if you're a PCA member (there is also a discount if you have the window sticker & send a copy with the COA app.).

Since you described your 73 1.7 as: "A "stripper" car, no options." - I'd guess it only had the one horn, as was common on the 1.7s.

Of course you can add the 2nd horn now, if you want them both.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
BillC
post Sep 30 2016, 06:51 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 29 2016, 07:54 PM) *

No Bruce, & for Bill's benefit -

The dual horns was an option for all model years, & it was included in the Appearance Group of options (AG) - so by default since almost every `76 was a 2L loaded with options/AG & had the dual horns.

Bill, you should check your new car window sticker, dealer BoS (new) or COA to see if yours originally came with the AG - & some 914s came with some options of the AG, but not the AG. So just seeing chrome bumpers & the sail vinyl with "chrome" trim, etc. doesn't equate to AG, since they can all be added individually.

If you don't have any of the above docs, then you can order your COA from PCNA & get a $10 discount by mentioning their ad in Panorama or Excellence, or $20 IIRC if you're a PCA member (there is also a discount if you have the window sticker & send a copy with the COA app.).

Since you described your 73 1.7 as: "A "stripper" car, no options." - I'd guess it only had the one horn, as was common on the 1.7s.

Of course you can add the 2nd horn now, if you want them both.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Thanks for the info, Tom. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I do have the COA and the dealer bill of sale, but not the window sticker. The COA doesn't have much info, and basically just says "no info recorded" except for engine serial and paint color. The bill of sale just says "914", and nothing else about the car except the VIN.

I'm quite certain my car didn't come with the appearance group -- black bumpers, no sail trim, no fog lights, no fog light switch, no center console, basic steel wheels, etc. As near as I can tell, this car has no factory-installed options at all. It does have a period-correct radio, but I'm pretty sure that was dealer installed.

Considering how many knucklehead SUV and minivan drivers there are around here who just can't seem to see a small yellow car, I would like to add the second horn. I've already updated the lighting to LED all around (thanks, Spoke!) to make the car more visible, now I'd like to update the horns to make it more audible. Especially since it's just a bolt-on and the car's already wired for it.

Thanks,
Bill
+Quote Post
BillC
post Oct 2 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #9

Bump.

Still looking for a low-tone horn (335 Hz).
+Quote Post
BillC
post Oct 19 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #10

Bump. Still looking.

Anyone?
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Oct 19 2016, 02:55 PM
Post #11

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

I have this one. tested and works great. Nice clear sound. PM sent

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:07 AM