Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MicroSquit Conversion, Giving this a try
aircooledtechguy
post Oct 13 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #121

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 13 2016, 06:31 AM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Oct 12 2016, 06:13 PM) *
As far as impedance goes, this is why everyone should consider ditching Microsquirt as a plan and step up to either MS3 or one of ECUs from thedubshop.net (I'm talking the one that Mario recently began offering). MicroS is NOT able to be modified, so you're stuck with whatever they offered it with 7-8 years ago or more. Time had marched on and high impedance injectors are the way to go for most, but if you want to run your old injectors, this leaves you having to re-invent the wheel.

WHAT!??!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Everyone should ditch MicroSquirt so they can run stock low-impedance injectors? This is advice? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

MicroSquirt has SO MANY advantages in terms of simplicity for people who just want a simple D-Jet replacement. If you can't see those advantages, you're keeping yourself intentionally blind. Yes, an MS3 has way more advanced features than MicroSquirt. But as you said, "It's really easy to get lost in all the obscure details and overthink this stuff, making it over-complicated." So it seems to me that a small, weatherproof and fully functional ECU would be a step toward simplicity. You're pontificating on the benefits of MS3 because it can be modified and in the next breath promoting simplicity. Those are diametrically opposite. You can't promote both. YOU are letting your DubShop promotion job get in the way of actually helping people.

I have firsthand experience. MicroSquirt works. It does everything most people need for half the price. Please, take the challenge and explain to me how a normally aspirated 2056 needs a fucking MS3!

I was not clear in my response; sorry. The above response was actually meant for those who have yet to purchase an ECU. You can order it from wherever you buy it with the features you want so there's no need to mod it yourself.

The main advantage to MS3 is the resolution in tuning over any of the previous versions. Everything is pretty much built in already so the user just uses what they want and not what they don't.

MS3 for a 2056 is likely more than what most would need, however how many people stay with a 2056 over the life of their cars?? Many people I know tend to want to step up to a larger motor later on. That's where a system capable of more things like sequential fuel & spark become rather important. I run my system on a small street motor and on my race motor. Yes I don't need sequential fuel & spark on a 2056 with the cam that has, but it is important on the other motor I run in this car with the exact same system.

Over the last 5-7 years I have watched and read many threads from folks on this board who have problems getting their Microsquirt systems driving on the street and performing like they should. It's a perfectly capable system, but there are a lot less users of it and therefore less of a pool of knowledgeable people with successful conversions with which to draw experience from when problems arise. That's just not the case with MS2 or MS3.

Say what you will about myself being a "shill" for my friend. I really don't care what you all say about that. His systems/products work and work well and his after sale support is second to none, no matter who you are or where you live. Why would I not mention ANYONE with that reputation?? I don't give anyone any crap about pimping your services. Should I be?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 13 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #122

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Oct 13 2016, 02:07 PM) *

I was not clear in my response; sorry. The above response was actually meant for those who have yet to purchase an ECU. You can order it from wherever you buy it with the features you want so there's no need to mod it yourself.

So basically you're saying you are hijacking the OP's thread.
The OP has already bought his system and you are coming damn close to saying he's an idiot for not buying a MS3 and off of your buddy.

I don't give anyone any crap about pimping your services. Should I be?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

As far as anyone recommending Mark. I never hear it over and over again in the same thread. You hear it once and the odd time a single person might concur...but that's it.
This thread has several direct "you need to buy from this guy", twice from you and both of those times after Mike had already bought his system from DIY Autotune. It also has a few more what I'll call indirect references.
Yes not all from you and you can't control what others say, but damn it gets annoying.

The main advantage to MS3 is the resolution in tuning over any of the previous versions. Everything is pretty much built in already so the user just uses what they want and not what they don't.

MS3 for a 2056 is likely more than what most would need, however how many people stay with a 2056 over the life of their cars?? Many people I know tend to want to step up to a larger motor later on. That's where a system capable of more things like sequential fuel & spark become rather important. I run my system on a small street motor and on my race motor. Yes I don't need sequential fuel & spark on a 2056 with the cam that has, but it is important on the other motor I run in this car with the exact same system.

So what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I'm running my 2.6L T4 nickies engine on my 13 year old SDS....oh my god! It's batch fired!
Sure it has the latest V16 chip...but batch fired! The horror!
My bug runs smooth as silk, pretty solid AFR readings, the wife even drives it. She gets good gas milage..I don't.

I've built two 930 engines that run on SDS, one engine and trans is north of $60K and makes 550hp dynoed...and it's batch fired? OMG the ignition is batch fired too!!!!!
Oh the huge manatee!! the dyno must be wrong!!!! It's NOT sequential!!!!!

It's a fucking electronic carburetor and distributor.... not a futuristic fembot with full "sequential" auto suck capabilities.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Sorry Mike, hopefully we can now get this back on track for your project.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 14 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #123

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Loving this thread!

Looks like the TPS was delivered today. So I have to really start thinking about how I am going to lay this out in the car.

The MicroSquirt is more weather resistant than other boxes so I was considering mounting it in the engine bay.

Because I already have the wideband installed I think I will only need a single relay for the fuel pump and injectors. Would love to see any photos of any in engine bay wiring that people have done.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 14 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #124

that's what I do!

Injectors don't need a relay, just make sure you use an in-line fuse.
Every powered component should have an in-line fuse.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 14 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #125

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 14 2016, 06:30 AM) *

Injectors don't need a relay, just make sure you use an in-line fuse.
Every powered component should have an in-line fuse.

Was just going to pull the power off the relay to run to the inline fuses!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 14 2016, 09:01 AM
Post #126

that's what I do!

I know my system isn't the same, but the only relay I have is for the fuel pump.
The ECU will shut off the pump (relay) if it doesn't see a tach signal.
+Quote Post
913B
post Oct 14 2016, 09:06 AM
Post #127

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 14 2016, 07:21 AM) *

Loving this thread!

Looks like the TPS was delivered today. So I have to really start thinking about how I am going to lay this out in the car.

The MicroSquirt is more weather resistant than other boxes so I was considering mounting it in the engine bay.

Because I already have the wideband installed I think I will only need a single relay for the fuel pump and injectors. Would love to see any photos of any in engine bay wiring that people have done.

If you don't mind sharing what TPS did you buy and what throttle body are you putting it on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post Oct 14 2016, 09:58 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 15,915
Region Association: Northern California

I urge you to follow the suggested Microsquirt wiring diagram(s). The best practice for wiring the power to the Microsquirt ECU, injectors and ignition coils s through a relay. The relay should be switched by the ignition switch so that the ECU etc is only powered when the car's ignition is switched on.

Two unrelated comments:

I have been running a Megasquirt MS3X for over two years now. I chose the MS3X as a kit, which is at the top of the Megasquirt line, because I waned to be able to experiment with various options and because the ECU is only small portion of the cost of the complete system. That said a Microsquirt ECU could have worked very effectively for me for all of the basics.

And slight rant: Most of the problems people have had implementing Megasquirt systems result from being cheap (of course this would never apply to 914 owners). People try to cut corners, use untested components, not verifying basic parameters such as adaquite fuel supply and pressure and using sloppy wiring. Please people, do it right. The Megasquirt / Microsquirt manuals (which were completely rewritten in the past year) lay out all of the best practices you need to have a successful implementation.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 14 2016, 10:16 AM
Post #129

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Oct 14 2016, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 14 2016, 07:21 AM) *

Loving this thread!

If you don't mind sharing what TPS did you buy and what throttle body are you putting it on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I got The TPS and adaptor plate from Mark at Original Customs. Not sure on the make but Mark has it nailed down pretty much. I will post the info when I open the package.

Mounting the TPS on the stock 2.0 throttle body. I am sure there are a lot of other options as I saw something about a Vanwagon throttle body being slightly larger than the stock 2.0.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 14 2016, 10:21 AM
Post #130

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ Oct 14 2016, 07:58 AM) *

I urge you to follow the suggested Microsquirt wiring diagram(s). The best practice for wiring the power to the Microsquirt ECU, injectors and ignition coils s through a relay. The relay should be switched by the ignition switch so that the ECU etc is only powered when the car's ignition is switched on.

Two unrelated comments:

I have been running a Megasquirt MS3X for over two years now. I chose the MS3X as a kit, which is at the top of the Megasquirt line, because I waned to be able to experiment with various options and because the ECU is only small portion of the cost of the complete system. That said a Microsquirt ECU could have worked very effectively for me for all of the basics.

And slight rant: Most of the problems people have had implementing Megasquirt systems result from being cheap (of course this would never apply to 914 owners). People try to cut corners, use untested components, not verifying basic parameters such as adaquite fuel supply and pressure and using sloppy wiring. Please people, do it right. The Megasquirt / Microsquirt manuals (which were completely rewritten in the past year) lay out all of the best practices you need to have a successful implementation.

That is what happening. Just in my case I already have relay controlled power for the ECU. I just happen to have the need to add one additional relay to power the fuel portions. I just did not provide all of the details. My bad.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 14 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #131

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 14 2016, 12:16 PM) *

[
Mounting the TPS on the stock 2.0 throttle body. I am sure there are a lot of other options as I saw something about a Vanwagon throttle body being slightly larger than the stock 2.0.

The vanagon TB mod you're thinking of is for the L-jet plenum.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 14 2016, 10:49 AM
Post #132

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Oh the huge manatee!! the dyno must be wrong!!!! It's NOT sequential!!!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

You can spend a lot of time overthinking this stuff, and falling for the sales line of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) for what your doing and your first time at doing it keep it simple.

SIMPLICITY in the system is worth much more that a .01% improvement of HP on a low raving type-4 and will not be pushed anywhere near a limit that would require precise spark and fuel. going to a degree wheel and a pickup besides points all ready gave you a huge improvement. Batch firing two coils or 4 depending on your setup makes no difference at 5,600 RPM. And your resolution on fuel is all ready much greater than your D-Jet had.

Keep it Simple, thank your self latter that you did.

Carry On.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 16 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #133

Advanced Member

Got a small bit done. Put together the TPS from McMark. Now I need to find some of those really small connector pins.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 16 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #134

Advanced Member

Also mounted the MicroSquirt and the relays to get ready for the actual wiring to start.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 16 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #135

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

My wiring harness connects to and uses the stock relay panel. It's got the two relays you need and access to them via the four pin FI connection. You can use standard spade connections, or the stock style four pin connector is available. I like your mounting board though.

Looks like you got it sorted out, but I forgot to mention the TPS can be spaced off the adapter plate (which is looks like you did), or you can trim the throttle shaft so everything sits flush.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 17 2016, 08:15 AM
Post #136

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 16 2016, 07:36 PM) *

My wiring harness connects to and uses the stock relay panel. It's got the two relays you need and access to them via the four pin FI connection. You can use standard spade connections, or the stock style four pin connector is available. I like your mounting board though.

Looks like you got it sorted out, but I forgot to mention the TPS can be spaced off the adapter plate (which is looks like you did), or you can trim the throttle shaft so everything sits flush.

McMark as others might want to look at a premade arrangement for the harness, could you post a picture of yours?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 17 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #137

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 17 2016, 10:15 AM) *
McMark as others might want to look at a premade arrangement for the harness, could you post a picture of yours?

Apparently I've never taken a picture of a completed harness... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I need to make another one anyway, so I'll do some documentation this time.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Oct 17 2016, 09:15 AM
Post #138

Advanced Member

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 17 2016, 07:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Oct 17 2016, 10:15 AM) *

Apparently I've never taken a picture of a completed harness... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I need to make another one anyway, so I'll do some documentation this time.

Well there you go. After all of the help you have provided me (and many others) finally a good suggestion from the cheap seats.
+Quote Post
cgnj
post Oct 17 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 403

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 13 2016, 09:31 PM) *

As far as anyone recommending Mark. I never hear it over and over again in the same thread. You hear it once and the odd time a single person might concur...but that's it.
This thread has several direct "you need to buy from this guy", twice from you and both of those times after Mike had already bought his system from DIY Autotune. It also has a few more what I'll call indirect references.
Yes not all from you and you can't control what others say, but damn it gets annoying.

Ok I'm guilty, but that was for a cam position sensor only. I only know of a single source.
I like Mark, I have bought many things from him in the past. I don't promote him because I think it's called "guilding the lily". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I confirmed that you can't use 36-1 crank wheel mounted behind the fan with a stock AC pulley. Have you decided what to do about this issue?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 17 2016, 03:55 PM
Post #140

that's what I do!

QUOTE(cgnj @ Oct 17 2016, 05:39 PM) *

Ok I'm guilty, but that was for a cam position sensor only. I only know of a single source.

No, you are not guilty, yours was pertinent information.
I have nothing against the Dub Shop, I was getting annoyed that others were going on and on even after the OP had already bought his system.
+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:11 AM