Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hood seal fitment issue
geshaghi
post Oct 11 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #1

Porsche Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,480
Region Association: Southern California

In restoring my 914-6, we used all new rubber. OEM where available, but otherwise from Mark at 914rubber.com, who was extremely helpful in getting everything that we needed. One thing I discovered is that the hood seal that fits inside the front trunk and runs from one side of the car to the other (part 914 512 315 11) forward of the fuel tank, seems to be very tall and as a result has caused the front trunk lid to bow a bit across this area. I have a parts car that I've used, and I looked at the original seal (now quite weathered and brittle of course), and it seems to have a different and lower profile. I'd like to replace the seal with something that fits better, but all of the online sources seem to show the same seal that I have. I don't remember exactly where this one came from either. Has anyone experienced this issue and found a seal with a lower profile or some other workaround besides leaving the seal off? Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Oct 11 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

I have seen the same on every aftermarket seal I have replaced and would be surprised if you could fix other than OEM rubber .
My 2 cents

QUOTE(geshaghi @ Oct 11 2016, 03:45 PM) *

In restoring my 914-6, we used all new rubber. OEM where available, but otherwise from Mark at 914rubber.com, who was extremely helpful in getting everything that we needed. One thing I discovered is that the hood seal that fits inside the front trunk and runs from one side of the car to the other (part 914 512 315 11) forward of the fuel tank, seems to be very tall and as a result has caused the front trunk lid to bow a bit across this area. I have a parts car that I've used, and I looked at the original seal (now quite weathered and brittle of course), and it seems to have a different and lower profile. I'd like to replace the seal with something that fits better, but all of the online sources seem to show the same seal that I have. I don't remember exactly where this one came from either. Has anyone experienced this issue and found a seal with a lower profile or some other workaround besides leaving the seal off? Thanks

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
geshaghi
post Oct 11 2016, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Porsche Addict

I'm going to buy the OEM seal this week and will report back, but it looks to me to be exactly like the one I have. I'm contemplating trying to find something else to simply cover the metal lip but with a much smaller profile (i.e., no raised portion to contact the hood), which I know will not function to seal water out of the trunk compartment, as this car will never get driven in any kind of inclement weather. Curious if anyone has come across this problem, or if anyone is aware that there might be a difference between what 914rubber sells and what is offered as OEM by the other typical vendors. Thanks

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Oct 11 2016, 05:42 PM) *

I have seen the same on every aftermarket seal I have replaced and would be surprised if you could fix other than OEM rubber .
My 2 cents

QUOTE(geshaghi @ Oct 11 2016, 03:45 PM) *

+Quote Post
toolguy
post Oct 11 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,889

I had the same issue with Marks bulkhead rubber. . I used a piece of the one he has that is suppose to be for the rear trunk. . fits perfectly
+Quote Post
geshaghi
post Oct 14 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Porsche Addict

I purchased an OEM seal, and it has a significantly smaller profile and seems to have solved the problem
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:05 AM