Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turbocharging a type 4
McMark
post Oct 25 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #101

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I'm wondering if a good staring point might be squareport heads and 91mm Nickies with 105mm OD?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 25 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #102

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 25 2016, 10:11 AM) *

I'm wondering if a good staring point might be squareport heads and 91mm Nickies with 105mm OD?

Do they have more meat behind the combustion chamber or are stronger?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 25 2016, 01:21 PM
Post #103

914 Freak!

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=74388

Alpine when I finish with a pair of sq. port heads for one of Jakes 'Super Heros' there is not much left of the original port or chamber shapes. Because these heads are designed with such small valves and chambers I am able to treat them as blank castings that I can manipulate into whatever shape I want (within certain limits ofcourse). This extensive reshaping in conjuction with a relocated sparkplug, and an exhaust system developed specifically for the modified port by Chris at Tangerine, is why I feel these castings have tremendous potential. It's very labor intensive, and I don't expect to move a lot of them because of the cost, but the folks who do plunk down the bucks will have one hell of a power plant. United with the roller cam system Jake has coming these engines will produce eye opening torque, reliably!
Len
+Quote Post
zig-n-zag
post Oct 25 2016, 01:41 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 6,024

Mahalo guys, I appreciate all your generous sharing of knowledge. I'm learning a lot.

78.8mm x 91mm = 1997.9cc
69.1mm x 91mm = 1797.6cc

Nickie cylinder O.D. Top = 114.8mm
I.D. Bore = 91mm
Cylinder wall thickness = 11.9mm. Will this work? Thanks again Everyone.
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Oct 26 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 6,499

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 25 2016, 10:11 AM) *

That's a pretty good idea. 91mm is as small as you can go with Sq Ports chambers but that's what we want. With 105 nickies that's a lot of contact area.

The Sq Port offers more support under the chamber than the oval. It will still be the weak spot, but it will be stronger for sure.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Oct 27 2016, 10:34 AM
Post #106

Member No.: 6,985

Were square port heads only on (some of) the 2.0 Type 4's? We were saying before that the 1.7 heads are a good start for a small bore turbo. Just trying to understand ...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 29 2016, 10:36 AM
Post #107

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Had another crazy idea while sitting in traffic...take Type IV head and from the bottom side machine away the combustion chamber and ports, figure something like a 4" diameter hole a few inches deep.

Grab some 6061 billet and rough machine the combustion chamber and ports, press fit into head. The billet alum has a thermal expansion that is slightly more than the cast alum so the fit will be even better once warmed up. (from what I can find online)

cross section of 911 showing more "meat"

Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 31 2016, 07:06 AM
Post #108

914 Freak!

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 27 2016, 12:34 PM) *

Were square port heads only on (some of) the 2.0 Type 4's? We were saying before that the 1.7 heads are a good start for a small bore turbo. Just trying to understand ...

Just the vanagon Type4s had square ports. But oh the joy of having a normal exhaust flange and gasket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Oct 31 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 6,499

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 31 2016, 06:06 AM) *

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Oct 27 2016, 12:34 PM) *

Just the vanagon Type4s had square ports. But oh the joy of having a normal exhaust flange and gasket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

I like the idea of the sq ports normal flange and the slight increase in chamber strength from the added material in that area.

Ten years ago I did a lot of R&D on sq ports. What I found was that to match the flow of a oval port head with 36mm ex valves, the port wall had to be opened up a fair amount. This wasn't a huge deal, but in the final analysis we determined that the heads would not be a good fit for 38mm valves, so they would not be a good fit for larger engines.

Eventually we stopped working with them for anything but Camper Specials and our stock Blueprint Specials.

For a small bore turbo engine with 40mm intakes and 36mm exhausts they might be worth a revisit, though be prepared for the potential for heat related cracks in the port runners. We saw a lot of that with O.E. heads. Not much air flow around that area, and the runner will have a not so thick cross section.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:24 AM