Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 81 82 83 84 85 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post May 25 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #1641

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(billium01 @ May 25 2019, 09:31 AM) *

Ha! Looks good! Did you figure any calculations into the size of your arrangment? For the most part I'm just winging my radiator setup.

I didn't yet calculate but I know the size of that initial design is more than what Tony @Cracker has in his car. He now runs an LS7 with over 100 hp more than what I'll have and he has no issues - I should be good with this.
And as @914forme points out, with the louvers tipped, it's almost like the whole thing is one, giant opening.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 25 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #1642

914 Guru

I spent some time playing with a design for the console. It may end up a bit taller than this little shape profile practice piece I have sitting there but I'm leaning toward leaving the shifter pass through and cables exposed. More race than rod, but then, that's the point!

And a preemptive reply to all you wise guys:
I like 1/4x20 all thread, I'm using it to mount my shifter. Deal with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 25 2019, 05:13 PM
Post #1643

914 Guru

Another major milestone! I've been fretting about the Infinity Box wiring and where all the electronics are going to mount. There are three decent sized magic boxes that make up the master/slave components and I wasn't happy with any of the locations I was coming up with.
But today, as I'm sitting in the car making VroomVroom noises and fantasizing that I may one day actually drive it, I noticed the space behind the dash that's usually occupied by the air controls - that I won't be using. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

What are the chances the main brain will fit there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

It does! However, that this unit needs to be accessible for programming and trouble shooting.

So I figured I could create a larger opening and fab up a flip-up cover for it. So I cut the dash up from the factory air control opening, leaving a bit of extra material that I could hammer and dolly to tip in a return to match the factory opening.
I've only started on the vertical edges but you get the idea.
This looks like it'll work great.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 25 2019, 07:48 PM
Post #1644

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 25 2019, 04:02 PM) *

I like 1/4x20 all thread, I'm using it to mount my shifter. Deal with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Best use of material to weight yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Love the location of the brain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 26 2019, 07:45 AM
Post #1645

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

This is just an incredible build -period. I look forward to seeing this car together and driving. It will be in the realm of supercar status. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #1646

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 26 2019, 06:45 AM) *

This is just an incredible build -period. I look forward to seeing this car together and driving. It will be in the realm of supercar status. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ha! This coming from the man with the most SUPER car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
(Seriously, though, Michael, thank you for the compliment.)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 12:45 PM
Post #1647

914 Guru

Looking at the dash today, I figured I'd have more flexibility if I just started from scratch.
Aluminum dash: Ready? GO!

Measure things. Turns out the angle from the top to the face is the same as the face to the lower return.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 12:56 PM
Post #1648

914 Guru

With spring back, I find it easier to match things visually. Fortunately, this little angle finder slots right into the brake and makes this a snap.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 12:57 PM
Post #1649

914 Guru

Bend, check, bend check. Done.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #1650

914 Guru

Repeat that same angle for the lower return then tip a 90 degree on the very underneath.
I still have to trim that back edge to length.

I plan to use the stock dash upper section - the part with the defrost vent cut outs - down just past the step. Then I'll rivet this aluminum component on to it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 26 2019, 01:10 PM
Post #1651

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Very nice!!!

Are you going to keep the aluminum finish or go with something else? With all the metal work you have there are so few places to show off the metalwork in s fashionable way.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 01:16 PM
Post #1652

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 26 2019, 12:10 PM) *

Very nice!!!

Are you going to keep the aluminum finish or go with something else? With all the metal work you have there are so few places to show off the metalwork in s fashionable way.

I assume it'll be too shiny unless I find a way to tone it down. Maybe anodize it? Just one more TBD item.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 26 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #1653

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

I spent some time playing with a design for the console. It may end up a bit taller than this little shape profile practice piece I have sitting there but I'm leaning toward leaving the shifter pass through and cables exposed…

^ Looking at your floor shots, have you considered lowering the driver's seat by acing the forward cross bar and modding the seat rails to bolt to the floor directly? Not sure how tall you are, but it was one of the best mods I've made to my 914—and you're certainly "in there." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Pics here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...37884&st=40 (though not up to your standards of metalwork, which continue to impress!)

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 01:26 PM
Post #1654

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 26 2019, 12:21 PM) *

I spent some time playing with a design for the console. It may end up a bit taller than this little shape profile practice piece I have sitting there but I'm leaning toward leaving the shifter pass through and cables exposed…

^ Looking at your floor shots, have you considered lowering the driver's seat by acing the forward cross bar and modding the seat rails to bolt to the floor directly? Not sure how tall you are, but it was one of the best mods I've made to my 914—and you're certainly "in there." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Pics here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...37884&st=40 (though not up to your standards of metalwork, which continue to impress!)

@horizontally-opposed - Pete, I was wondering about something like that.
Did you retain any tilt capability or was it a "set and forget"? Any pics of your set up that you could share? If so, feel free to post them here. Or PM me, whichever is easiest.
Greatly appreciated!
Chris
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 26 2019, 02:02 PM
Post #1655

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 26 2019, 12:26 PM) *

Pete, I was wondering about something like that.
Did you retain any tilt capability or was it a "set and forget"? Any pics of your set up that you could share? If so, feel free to post them here. Or PM me, whichever is easiest.
Greatly appreciated!
Chris

I lost the tilt capability, but realized I had just about never used it—and Genoa Racing convinced me they could get 0.6 to 0.8 inch out of the seat height, which was more valuable to me as I'm always adjusting seats to get as low in a car as I can. I have had zero regrets about the resulting seat-bottom angle, and have had no desire to go back and shim it front or back. Looking at your pics, I think it's about the same angle as your seat is sitting, just lower. You are welcome to stop by sometime to test-sit it if you'd like. Some people go further, lowering the floors, but I'm happy with this setup.

Pics of my setup are in that thread I linked, and I'd be embarrassed to see them junk up your beautiful thread, which has inspired me to restore the floors in my 914 at some point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Been on my mind, and there are more important things just now, but I simply love the attention to detail seen in your 914.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 03:16 PM
Post #1656

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 26 2019, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 26 2019, 12:26 PM) *

Pete, I was wondering about something like that.
Greatly appreciated!
Chris

I lost the tilt capability, but realized I had just about never used it—and Genoa Racing convinced me they could get 0.6 to 0.8 inch out of the seat height, which was more valuable to me as I'm always adjusting seats to get as low in a car as I can. I have had zero regrets about the resulting seat-bottom angle, and have had no desire to go back and shim it front or back. Looking at your pics, I think it's about the same angle as your seat is sitting, just lower. You are welcome to stop by sometime to test-sit it if you'd like. Some people go further, lowering the floors, but I'm happy with this setup.

Pics of my setup are in that thread I linked, and I'd be embarrassed to see them junk up your beautiful thread, which has inspired me to restore the floors in my 914 at some point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Been on my mind, and there are more important things just now, but I simply love the attention to detail seen in your 914.

@horizontally-opposed Great details. I'm headed back out to the shop to assess how to make this mod to my car. I owe you one, Pete - heck, let's make that two! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 26 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #1657

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 26 2019, 02:16 PM) *

@horizontally-opposed Great details. I'm headed back out to the shop to assess how to make this mod to my car. I owe you one, Pete - heck, let's make that two! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Right on! Glad you dig it, and I think it's a really nice upgrade.

Just remembered there is one "detail" issue with this mod I've noticed in the years and miles since if you're going to use the stock 3-point seat belts: It'd be nice if the upper mounting "triangle" for the belt was a bit lower. While I wouldn't want to mess with the attachment point on the targa bar, which I suspect is well engineered, I keep meaning to look at how to make a "hanger" that subtly lowers the belt by 0.5 to 08 inch while respecting its engineering. Would improve comfort (and maybe safety) a bit. It isn't a big deal, but I do think about it from time to time.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #1658

914 Guru

As the saying goes:

"It's going to get worse before it gets better..."

A bit of slicing and dicing to narrow things down to the parts I need:
- the top-most portion of the dash
- the gauge mounting frame

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #1659

914 Guru

You may know this already but, for anyone interested in salvaging parts that have been spot welded together:

I use a cut off wheel to grind through the spot welds from the side I won't be using.
Versus using a spot weld drill, this ensures I retain all the parent material on the keeper part and don't risk drilling into it. Go slow and it yields an almost perfect result.

Here's the gauge mount ready for reuse.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 26 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #1660

914 Guru

One dash kit!
OK, so it's missing a few parts. Give a guy a break.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 81 82 83 84 85 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:36 AM