Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 91 92 93 94 95 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Aug 22 2019, 09:41 PM
Post #1841

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 22 2019, 05:03 PM) *

square cut around trunk latch....just sayin...

Man, @Dion called it. Tough crowd, indeed! You guys are making me think I should wait until each part is "done" before posting any pics... Nah, my skin's thicker than that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

@sixnotfour - The square cut is essentially required to get those edges of the shroud as close to the latch mechanism as possible. This to prevent air from finding a way out that isn't through the radiator. I tightened up the opening to get it as close as I could.

If what you mean is that I didn't address the "plainness" of that area, we're on the same page. As I've developed my approach to the stamping process I use, it's sometimes easier for me to come back and do a secondary operation on one or more areas of a panel, and that's the case here.

What works best for me is to make my stamping die set the exact same outside shape as the panel being stamped. It ensures I get a nearly perfect dimension on the step of each recessed area. But with this panel, it meant I couldn't/didn't stamp anything around the latch cut out.

That said, to address the latch area, I'll make an "edge stamp" die set and form something that's more interesting than just the plain cut out.

Once I've finished, I'll post pics of all the dies I made for this piece.

Could I have done it all differently? Probably, but as I mentioned, this is the process that (currently) works for me.

I find it really helpful to hear other folks' opinions and ideas so keep the cards and letters coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 23 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #1842

914 Guru

Here are the main panel stamping dies:
First the female.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 23 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #1843

914 Guru

The male with the area dies aligned but not bolted on and then with the female set on top.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 23 2019, 02:49 PM
Post #1844

914 Guru

And here's the "edge" stamp I made this morning. The female (the lower piece) goes under the panel and aligns with the front edges. The male gets butted up to and aligned with the edges of the female die and the main panel.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 23 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #1845

914 Guru

Clamp things together and slide it into the press...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 23 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #1846

914 Guru

Done.
I'm happy with how it turned out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 23 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #1847

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 23 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #1848

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Your shroud looks kind of angry...why don't you drop CF insets into those reliefs?

T
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 23 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #1849

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 22 2019, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 22 2019, 11:17 AM) *

I like the drivers side fill, also notice the nice flange delete you did on section of the tank. Great work, all your efforts are really paying off, and you have made huge leaps in skill level from when you started this project.

Would you please get to the Tangerine Racing Suspension Console raise, right now your making me think of adding items to my project instead of solving my fear of hacking the rear suspension pickup points out of the car.

Come on help a guy out.

After that if you don't mind working on the compound curve section to graph in the 944 Sunroof section that help would be greatly appreciated. Actually if you make those pieces I will gladly take the version 2 off your hands Chris (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . Version two of your stuff is like version 15 of mine. I would gladly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) onto my 944 roof panel and the top of my EG car.

@tygaboy thanks for helping me out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

@914forme Thanks for the kind words, Stephen. I remain convinced most anyone who wants to develop these sorts of skills can do it. It's just a matter of time invested. Being retired has certainly helped speed my development.

Re: the Tangerine rear pick ups, the current plan is to get the car running essentially as is, debug all the systems, verify I've got all the needed holes, mounts, tabs, etc.
Then I'll blow the whole thing apart, do the Tangerine stuff, paint it and reassemble.

I like the idea of the hard top, as you know. I'll have to look into that and maybe grab a 944 roof from Parts Heaven before they close up for good.

Knowing how you are at making things from scratch, I could bring my 944 up there whenever you get into starting that so you can take measurements/angles/mock up, ect.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 23 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #1850

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Double!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 23 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #1851

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 23 2019, 02:55 PM) *

Your shroud looks kind of angry...why don't you drop CF insets into those reliefs?

T

That's the plan for all the reliefs, here and on the firewall.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 23 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #1852

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Great job Chris, that finished edge really finishes the piece off.

+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Aug 23 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #1853

Member No.: 7,712

Great progress. Form follows function. I would consider CF inserts to keep the air flow as much through the radiator core as possible then some escaping over the top.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 24 2019, 08:45 AM
Post #1854

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 23 2019, 02:56 PM) *

Knowing how you are at making things from scratch, I could bring my 944 up there whenever you get into starting that so you can take measurements/angles/mock up, ect.

@Andyrew - Thanks for the offer! If I go the 944 roof way, I may take you up on that.
Rootworks posted his work grafting on the same: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...05&hl=steel

I plan to call Parts Heaven today to see what they have, what it'd cost, etc.

The other option I've been kicking around is to pull a mold off the smoothed stock roof I have, make a CF outer skin, then fab / weld in a steel roof frame structure and bond the CF skin to that. I'd paint it to look like a stock, removable roof.

Lots to consider and it's not urgent (other than to @914forme (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) that I get to working on a fixed roof.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 24 2019, 09:55 AM
Post #1855

No rush for me either, that is one to two car projects down the list. But I would like a well documented versions. @tygaboy

Wow Jeff is back he documented his pickup raise very well, but just want more coverage. And the same goes for @Rootworks version documented well but like to have multiple sources. People tend to document things a bit differently, do things slightly different.

I have an idea in my head how to do both of them. 944 graph build the sub structures, then make it so the rear edge gets crimped over the sub structure, will have to TIG'd to the outer skin to and weld the edge to the sub structure which forms the rain gutter. Rain gutter will be similar to the real 916. Lots of work but in my sick mind, it will be great amounts of fun. For something I will most likely never use. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Except to pop it open at the car show. A/C tends to keep me from windows down driving. That car will have A/C

For the roof, see if they have an early 944 or even a 924. Mechanical roof pieces are what you want. Easy to convert a power to manual, but if you get one with all the parts even better. Theres a guy about 45 minutes north of me that only works on 944s and parts some of them out. Got the roof, and a perfect sunroof panel for an uncle ben.

I do like the CF idea for the roof panel, I will enjoy either thing you build no pressure from me.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 24 2019, 03:53 PM
Post #1856

914 Wizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TXGXZ-3BZY
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 26 2019, 02:51 PM
Post #1857

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 24 2019, 02:53 PM) *

Multiple skin cancer surgeries to remove Melanoma and Basal cell carcinoma from my face means I'm no longer a big user of sun roofs or removable tops. If I do any sort of fixed roof, consideration for openings/opening capabilities is way down the list.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 26 2019, 02:56 PM
Post #1858

914 Guru

Today I completed the tunnel's system lines: fuel, brake and clutch. I elevated the fuel lines with a couple little bracket stands - the front one doubles as the brake/clutch line bulkhead for the transition to soft lines that run to the master cylinders.
On top of the brackets, I'm attaching the lines with what I think are some neat little retainer clips. They're from a company called NotcHead. I also used them to secure the battery cable. The lines snap in and out. Pretty tidy, IMO.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 26 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #1859

914 Wizard

Multiple skin cancer surgeries to remove Melanoma and Basal cell carcinoma from my face means I'm no longer a big user of sun roofs or removable tops. If I do any sort of fixed roof, consideration for openings/opening capabilities is way down the list.

well my 914...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 26 2019, 07:15 PM
Post #1860

I really like the line setup, and the Marzall markers are the best I have found, I buy them by the case.
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 91 92 93 94 95 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:30 PM