Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

232 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #201

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I made up a new top cross bar because of I totally screwed up the angles of the end cuts as I was trying to final fit the first one I'd made. The joy of not using straight material is I had to duplicate the roll bend. Not that big a deal but it's another repeat effort and time spent that really gets me no further along. Ah, well...

Once that was done, I wanted to get some ideas for the filler plate so I made up a paper template. I measured it to get the dimensions for the plasma table's design software. Then I started messing with various design elements.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #202

914 Guru

Here's the initial version, ready to cut.
The six little holes running across the middle are 'marker' cuts that simply locate where to drill for the lightening holes - you'll see once it's all done.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #203

914 Guru

Result!

It's like cheating. I could never have done this by hand. Well, OK, I could have.

But it would look like crap!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #204

914 Guru

Then it's trimming to fit all the inevitable nooks and crannies and little details that happened when I plated around the shock towers.

Next, the knock out punches and dimple dies.

And here's V1 of the filler panel! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Yes, the throttle body is off-center. I opted to live with that being the asymmetrical element, rather than something else. I'm toying with making a removable panel that has a tighter fit to the air cleaner tube. We'll see.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 21 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #205

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

This thing will be epic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jan 21 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #206

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

That's friggin awesome looking! Nice work Chris!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 21 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #207

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Mee likey...

T
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jan 21 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #208

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That is a badass intimidating touch!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 22 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #209

914 Guru

Here's a V2 design. No, I won't be applying for a job as a Photoshop operator. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) All I have is MS Paint. Hey, it works well enough for me to test ideas.

Anyway, V1 had those cut outs that I wasn't sure I liked. Maybe a little too "hot roddy". Lightening holes seem more fitting.

Plus, with a physical example to play with and see from all angles, I decided I wanted to close up around the sides of the intake and get a bit more room under it. You can't see it but there was only about 1/4" - 3/8" clearance on the underside. I don't know how much the motor may move around but I want more room there.

This is one of the "fun" parts about design stuff: When to call it "done" and get on with other stuff that may actually get this car on the road!

At this point, I'll likely go with V2. Time for less (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) and more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) ! Oh, and some day: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 22 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #210

914 Guru

Details, details. I don't have a dimple die the size of the of-cut outs that run across the top and bottom. Since I knew I was going to make a new panel, I figured I'd use this as a practice piece. I used he bead roller and tipped in a lip that I was hoping would match the dimples on the holes.

I think I was successful and IMO, without these, it looked incomplete. It's these sorts of things that REALLY finish off the look! I'm loving how this is turning out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

This was just practice and on the final version, I'll notch the corners of the dimples so they wrap the cross bar.

Can't wait to get started on the V2 design! I'm out of metal so the rest of this weekend is going to shop clean up - which is sorely needed.

(And wait 'til you see what's planned for the transmission support!)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Jan 22 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #211

Member No.: 14,397

I like the bead rolled edge. Recently saw a video on how to do it. Did you use the special dies? Coming along great, keep it up.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 22 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #212

Advanced Member

Chris - maybe I am looking at this wrong but I would like to see that as an enclosed panel...maybe you are doing that anyway. Make a duplicate in reverse and weld the seam. Understand?

T
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jan 22 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #213

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

I like the second one even better!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 22 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #214

914 Guru

I did get the shop somewhat cleaned up but the car kept calling "Please work on me!"
I couldn't say no...

Before I weld in the top cross bar, I need to install some support pads. The fun part is the bar lands on the top of the inner fender, right smack on a compound curve.

I could do the 'tack, bend, tack' but I decided to "get fancy". First a bit of history:

Back in the fall of last year, I took a 3-day metal shaping class with Lazze at his place in Pleasanton, CA. It was a very cool class. You need to take it. But be careful: The only down side (as is Lazze's plan, I'm sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )is you come out of the class having used these awesome tools and, if you're me, you get home and obsess about having to have those very same tools. So yes, I treated myself to the bead roller, shrinker/stretcher and English wheel. I have to say, it's reeeeeealy nice stuff.

Back to today: So far, on this build, I've been able to leverage the bead roller and shrinker/stretcher but I've not yet had the occasion to need to use the English wheel. Well, when a compound curve is needed, it's the English wheel to the rescue!

I made up a little curve template, grabbed a piece of scrap and went to town, hoping I'd remember what I learned in class.

Seems like I did. It fits just so!

This may not be much to look at but it's one of the pieces I'm most proud of. Why? Well, you can't fit that small a part in the wheel. I had to "get it right" while this piece was part of a much larger sheet of steel. And I need it to be correctly curved before being able to test fit it. So essentially, I only had one chance to trim it correctly.

And once it's installed, virtually no one will ever notice.

(Now I get to do it again on the other side...! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) )

Funny... one of my longest posts and it about the smallest piece I'll probably fab.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 22 2017, 07:42 PM
Post #215

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 22 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Chris - maybe I am looking at this wrong but I would like to see that as an enclosed panel...maybe you are doing that anyway. Make a duplicate in reverse and weld the seam. Understand?

T

Hi Tony. Yep, I know what you mean. From a structural perspective, doubling it as you're suggesting would certainly be stronger but even a one sided version will do a lot. With the other stiffening I have planned, it's not like I really need that panel so I'm viewing it as largely decorative. But yes, I have been toying with what you've suggested. It's really a matter of just how crazy I want to go - both as it relates to the build as well as a "doing this will make me CRAZY!" perspective. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If I do decide to go for "extra credit" stuff, I'll likely do it once the car is running. I'm starting to get worried that I'll never get it on the road.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 22 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #216

914 Guru

QUOTE(csdilligaf @ Jan 22 2017, 11:32 AM) *

I like the bead rolled edge. Recently saw a video on how to do it. Did you use the special dies? Coming along great, keep it up.

Thanks for the kind words.
I used a sharp edged die on the top (to get a crisp edge that matched the dimple die) and a flat die on the bottom so I had something to bend against.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 24 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #217

914 Guru

Panel design, V2. Maybe some day I'll get this design thing figured out a bit better and not have to "build, fit, trim, fit, realize there was a (few) incorrect assumptions and now do it all over again". As much as I like doing all this stuff, it'd be nice to get it right the first time and not build multiple versions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I guess that's what experience is all about!

Anyway, if you compare V2 to V1, you'll see I changed the 'wings' quite a bit to close a gap between the top edge of the panel and the cross bar. And I moved and changed the shape of the intake tube hole to add a bit more interest. I also changed a couple dimensions so I won't have to do as much trimming/fitting.

I think the holes vs the cutouts will be more in line with the look I'm going for.

Hope to get it cut before the weekend.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 24 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #218

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 24 2017, 05:56 PM) *

Panel design, V2. Maybe some day I'll get this design thing figured out a bit better and not have to "build, fit, trim, fit, realize there was a (few) incorrect assumptions and now do it all over again". As much as I like doing all this stuff, it'd be nice to get it right the first time and not build multiple versions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Without trying it a few times how would you know which one was the best? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 24 2017, 05:56 PM) *

I think the holes vs the cutouts will be more in line with the look I'm going for.

I like the holes a lot better! Rev 2 looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jan 25 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #219

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

Wow Chris the way you treated that panel was MASTERFUL! Love it man. I was wondering how you were going to get the shear forces to transfer from the top of strut to the lower portion of the strut! Well done!! I tell ya......you're giving me ideas. Looks wicked by the way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jan 25 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #220

Advanced Member

You two should just "get a room"... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

LOL

T
+Quote Post

232 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:31 PM