Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 99 100 101 102 103 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Nov 12 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #2001

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I fixtured the new mounts in position, got the measurements set and tacked them in.
But in order to get the trailing arms in, this overhang has to be removed. I kept wondering why the arm wouldn't go in...

What I had yet to cut:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 12 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #2002

914 Guru

What it looks like after trimming. Essentially, just cut in plane with the rear face of the mount.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 12 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #2003

914 Guru

Arm fitting.

Lesson learned: if you're doing this mod, wait until it's complete BEFORE doing your flares.

I'm chasing getting the wheel centered in the flare... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Another fun fact: The mounts get welded to the outside of the longs, where they taper in towards the back of the car. So as the mounts are moved fore and aft, the track width changes.

The good news is a rough measurement shows I have 2 degrees negative camber with no shims.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 12 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #2004

914 Guru

With my wheels (16x9 w/245s), the pic shows where I am at this point. The tire does clear, it's just REALLY close.
Plus, I need the wheels to move forward about .4 inch. I think I can make it work by trimming away about 1/2 the return on inside edge of the flare.

If not, I'll need to remove material from the inside of the pick up mount, where it meets the long. Or do both.

Either way, I'll make it work. Just means more time spent.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 12 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #2005

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Trim the lip.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 12 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #2006

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I think I would try to roll that part of the lip so you keep the material and strength. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 12 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #2007

914 Guru

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Nov 12 2019, 04:26 PM) *

Trim the lip.

Chris - that's certainly the first step. The issue seems to be exacerbated by the fact that my car's original suspension pick up points measured 1.1 cm longer than the published under-chassis specs - as depicted below.

When I installed the kit parts and matched my stock pick up location measurements, the gap in the center of the fixture was just under 3/4" wide and the tire was outside the flare.

I may be in touch to talk in more detail.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 12 2019, 11:57 PM
Post #2008

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 12 2019, 02:02 PM) *

With my wheels (16x9 w/245s), the pic shows where I am at this point. The tire does clear, it's just REALLY close.
Plus, I need the wheels to move forward about .4 inch. I think I can make it work by trimming away about 1/2 the return on inside edge of the flare.

If not, I'll need to remove material from the inside of the pick up mount, where it meets the long. Or do both.

Are those THE wheels? You could have 1/4" machined on the inside. I assume you have well over an inch on the inside for clearance? You pretty much need about 1/2" of room to allow the tire to flex. 1/4" with lower profile and stiff sidewalls.

Granted that inner lip on the fenders is a hair excessive. .

Pretty cool you got it this close on your first try (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 13 2019, 12:38 AM
Post #2009

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Granted that inner lip on the fenders is a hair excessive. .

Trim the lip.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

oh hell just make some offset railing arms...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 13 2019, 05:26 AM
Post #2010

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I would lean toward the as built dimensions instead of the factory specs.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 13 2019, 11:27 AM
Post #2011

914 Guru

Some positive validation: The driver side has essentially identical fore/aft position in the flare as well as tire-to-flare clearance.

As Huey sang, "It's hip to be square."

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 13 2019, 02:18 PM
Post #2012

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 13 2019, 09:27 AM) *

Some positive validation: The driver side has essentially identical fore/aft position in the flare as well as tire-to-flare clearance.

As Huey sang, "It's hip to be square."

On the right track. Square is hip to be.

If you check a lot of 914 profile photos you will notice many are all over the place especially for tire/wheel position in the fore/ aft of the wheel openings. (with flares or without) Some appear centered, others seem like the wheel is forward a bit. Mind not because the critical stuff is all in the undercarriage. Outer body sheet metal is just a dress, if cosmetic sheet metal is where it needs to be consider it luck on the way.

Try taking measurements of (3-4) 914's. The head demons will take over for a week or two.
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 13 2019, 03:41 PM
Post #2013

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 12 2019, 03:02 PM) *

Is that the fit up with 2 degrees camber? At ride height?

My friend had a shop install his flares, and they rolled that inside lip around (I believe) a 1/4" rod, which yielded significantly more clearance.

Andys
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 15 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #2014

914 Guru

What was I thinking? Of COURSE it was going to take me multiple attempts before I got it right! Why would this be different from any other part of this build? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

After the first couple tries, I'd built a fair bit of confidence in terms of how this all goes together, what and where the changes happen when the parts are moved around, etc.

Having established that the firewall lower cross member and tops of the engine mount plates always measured level to each other, I could use them as reference and simply work on the installation no matter what position the car was in on the rotisserie.
I just had to get a measure of either of those and use it as the target # when "leveling" the tangerine components and fixture in the chassis.

So after some careful measuring, a bit of math and remembering that 1/2 the time the car is upside down (wait, which side am I working on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ) I got attempt #3 positioned, leveled and tacked in.

I also trimmed the inner edge of the flare. I had my fingers crossed there'd be clearance - which made installing that wheel a little harder than normal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Clearance is still tight-ish on the outside with about 3/4" on the inside. If needed, I can roll the remaining flare lip as @andys mentioned or as @Andyrew suggested, mill a bit off the inside of the wheel.
I also have the option of removing some material from the inside of the Tangerine pickup, where it butts up to the outside of the long.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 15 2019, 03:08 PM
Post #2015

914 Guru

Doing my best at channeling Jeff Hail. Check his installation of this kit and you'll understand what I mean.

Don't overreact to that camber number. Remember, I don't always have the car at "0" level. At this point, it was at -2.1 degrees, putting my ride height camber with no shims at ~ -1.7

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 15 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #2016

914 Guru

And I'm happy with the wheel position in the flare opening. Wheelbase measurement spec be damned!

Actually, I don't have the front suspension on the car so can't even measure it yet. Once I do, I'll be interested to see where I ended up.

I have to say, I REALLY like these wheels on this car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 15 2019, 03:20 PM
Post #2017

914 Guru

@wes and @horizontally-opposed

Wes and Pete stopped by yesterday for a visit and to talk about a small project I may be able to help them accomplish. Another couple of characters, to say the least!

So I just want to say how great it is to put faces with names and get to know others from this forum. Pete brought his insanely nice /6 conversion (as well as a very generous gift of a copy of 000!) and while the cars are always a point of interest, what I'm most fascinated by are the stories and experiences everyone has, how willing to share and help they are and in general, what great people we have in this community.

Anyway, back to the build...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 15 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #2018

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

^ Back at ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Was great to hang out with you and Wes, and to see your project and shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

My only regret is you didn't actually sit in my car to check out seating position—but it looks like you are well ahead of the game on that. Your build is epic, and let me know if you ever want to take my car for a spin for lunch!
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 15 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #2019

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 15 2019, 01:08 PM) *

Doing my best at channeling Jeff Hail. Check his installation of this kit and you'll understand what I mean.

Don't overreact to that camber number. Remember, I don't always have the car at "0" level. At this point, it was at -2.1 degrees, putting my ride height camber with no shims at ~ -1.7

Thanks for the plug Chris from one tool whore to another.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 15 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #2020

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

@tygaboy doing an excellent job Chris thank you for documenting this so well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Now what about the steel roof. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 99 100 101 102 103 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:22 AM