Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 100 101 102 103 104 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Nov 15 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #2021

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 15 2019, 05:55 PM) *

@tygaboy doing an excellent job Chris thank you for documenting this so well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Now what about the steel roof. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Steel frame with a carbon skin bonded to it. I plan to start that after the suspension is done.

Given that today I had another biopsy "shave" taken from a spot on my left cheek (the face one), I'm all about never having the roof off the car anyway. May as well remove possible leak areas! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wes
post Nov 15 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #2022

wes

Member No.: 8,436

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 15 2019, 01:20 PM) *

@wes and @horizontally-opposed

Wes and Pete stopped by yesterday for a visit and to talk about a small project I may be able to help them accomplish. Another couple of characters, to say the least!

So I just want to say how great it is to put faces with names and get to know others from this forum. Pete brought his insanely nice /6 conversion (as well as a very generous gift of a copy of 000!) and while the cars are always a point of interest, what I'm most fascinated by are the stories and experiences everyone has, how willing to share and help they are and in general, what great people we have in this community.

Anyway, back to the build...

Was a great day visiting with you and Pete thanks Chris. I must say what a great shop with tools beyond my wildest dreams and his build is going to be or already is amazing. Also much thanks to Pete for your gracious copy of the beautiful 000 magazine, great to see you again. For anyone who is not aware of 000 magazine you owe it to yourself to take a good look 000 is extremely well done.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 15 2019, 11:31 PM
Post #2023

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Killer progress as usual!!! Everything is looking really great!!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 16 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #2024

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 15 2019, 08:55 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Now what about the steel roof. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I may have kits available in 2020. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 16 2019, 03:29 PM
Post #2025

914 Guru

Trial fitting of the driver's side. The wheel position in the flare is virtually perfect on this side too!

And as Jeff Hail mentioned, it's more important that the chassis numbers are correct - and my suspension pick-up points are square. As well, I achieved a nice fore/aft fit so, apparently, my chants and prayers to the fabrication gods were answered.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 16 2019, 03:38 PM
Post #2026

914 Guru

Well, so much for perfect symmetry. It seems the "tighter on one side" gene was passed on to my chassis so additional clearance will be required here.

I'm running the Elephant Racing poly bronze bushing set up and they use a "large stainless washer" between the shaft and trailing arm mount/chassis. I may fab a thinner one for each inside one and move the arms in a bit.

And it looks like I will roll the flare lip, too.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 16 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #2027

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 16 2019, 01:38 PM) *

Well, so much for perfect symmetry. It seems the "tighter on one side" gene was passed on to my chassis so additional clearance will be required here.

I'm running the Elephant Racing poly bronze bushing set up and they use a "large stainless washer" between the shaft and trailing arm mount/chassis. I may fab a thinner one for each inside one and move the arms in a bit.

And it looks like I will roll the flare lip, too.

Awesome work Chris. Good luck with the biopsy. Oddly I had one the same day, had a small cherry on my clavicle cauterized.

If the height is approximate to how you want the car to sit set static toe at zero for the mock up. Will make life easier in the distant future.

I built a dummy shock from an all-screw (doubles as my hub installer) set at 20-1/2 inches with flexibility to shorten it another 2 inches as a setup tool when I installed the pickups during the final burn in.

Have the same ERP bushings and shafts. The ERP shafts use a threaded stud, the studs come loose fairly easily which I found after installing/ removing the trailing assemblies multiple times. Double check them preferably Lock-tite them into the shaft. Consider drilling the nylock nuts/ shafts to add safety wire as the nuts have been known to loosen also. Don't install the zerk fittings until last, I snapped two with all the trial fitting letting the trailing arm hang down.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 16 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #2028

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 16 2019, 06:31 PM) *

Have the same ERP bushings and shafts. The ERP shafts use a threaded stud, the studs come loose fairly easily which I found after installing/ removing the trailing assemblies multiple times. Double check them preferably Lock-tite them into the shaft. Consider drilling the nylock nuts/ shafts to add safety wire as the nuts have been known to loosen also. Don't install the zerk fittings until last, I snapped two with all the trial fitting letting the trailing arm hang down.

Jeff that is good to know, I run the same units. Have not had the issue, but better safe than sorry. And yes I have broken the zeros also.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 16 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #2029

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 16 2019, 03:31 PM) *

Awesome work Chris. Good luck with the biopsy. Oddly I had one the same day, had a small cherry on my clavicle cauterized.

If the height is approximate to how you want the car to sit set static toe at zero for the mock up. Will make life easier in the distant future.

I built a dummy shock from an all-screw (doubles as my hub installer) set at 20-1/2 inches with flexibility to shorten it another 2 inches as a setup tool when I installed the pickups during the final burn in.

Jeff - Thanks for the kind words. Same suspension kit, same day biopsy, tool whores... wonder what else we have in common. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I also discovered that threaded stud thing! I was trying to remove the arm after one of the mock ups and I'm thinking "why the hell does it feel like the other end of the shaft isn't spinning when I loosen this bolt?" All of a sudden the stud comes out! So yes, planning Loctite.

And I appreciate the guidance on the toe setting. I was planning on just validating I have +/- range of motion at ride height so I'll take your advice on this, too. Seems easier to work to a fixed value.

Finally, yes, I've been planning all along to shamelessly steal your all-thread dummy shock approach. And let me save you some time on future posts: I plan to copy virtually all of what you did, including your Rocket Science buddy's suggestion for plating farther up the long.

I revisit your thread ALL THE TIME, and not just re: the pick ups. You schooled me on the sleeve approach for inner/outer long repairs (I stole that approach, too) and a bunch of other stuff. Many of us are following in your footsteps, and let me say, them be some big shoe prints to try and fill! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Nov 16 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #2030

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 16 2019, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 16 2019, 03:31 PM) *

Jeff - Thanks for the kind words. Same suspension kit, same day biopsy, tool whores... wonder what else we have in common. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I also discovered that threaded stud thing! I was trying to remove the arm after one of the mock ups and I'm thinking "why the hell does it feel like the other end of the shaft isn't spinning when I loosen this bolt?" All of a sudden the stud comes out! So yes, planning Loctite.

And I appreciate the guidance on the toe setting. I was planning on just validating I have +/- range of motion at ride height so I'll take your advice on this, too. Seems easier to work to a fixed value.

Finally, yes, I've been planning all along to shamelessly steal your all-thread dummy shock approach. And let me save you some time on future posts: I plan to copy virtually all of what you did, including your Rocket Science buddy's suggestion for plating farther up the long.

I revisit your thread ALL THE TIME, and not just re: the pick ups. You schooled me on the sleeve approach for inner/outer long repairs (I stole that approach, too) and a bunch of other stuff. Many of us are following in your footsteps, and let me say, them be some big shoe prints to try and fill! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Shoe size 9.5, not that big a print.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 18 2019, 07:19 PM
Post #2031

914 Guru

Oh, she's a WIDE girl!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 18 2019, 07:22 PM
Post #2032

914 Guru

I spent today doing what will likely become a "project extender".
I have a new acquaintance.
He owns a composite company.
He has some "interesting" capabilities.
I'm thinking I need to take advantage of them:

A 5' x 5' (you read that right) 3D printer that is used to print the molds. For things like carbon f-ing wheels!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 18 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #2033

914 Guru

An autoclave you can almost drive into with your auto! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Seriously, this thing is like 5' tall/wide and 10' long.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 18 2019, 07:27 PM
Post #2034

914 Guru

And my favorite: a 5-axis mill that can carve things like, oh, I don't know... car body panels?

I'm taking a set of doors, bumpers, hood and trunk lid over to see what we might do...

Carbon 914 parts anyone?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Nov 18 2019, 08:21 PM
Post #2035

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 18 2019, 05:27 PM) *

And my favorite: a 5-axis mill that can carve things like, oh, I don't know... car body panels?

I'm taking a set of doors, bumpers, hood and trunk lid over to see what we might do...

Carbon 914 parts anyone?

Yes please! There goes a parking spot.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 18 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #2036

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 15 2019, 09:06 PM) *

Given that today I had another biopsy "shave" taken from a spot on my left cheek (the face one), I'm all about never having the roof off the car anyway. May as well remove possible leak areas! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif) No . . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

After just going though seemingly non-stop Mohs surgeries on my face, and then the Melnoma and skin grafts on my shoulder, I'll be praying that all biopsies come back negative.

That sun is a bitch! I miss it when it's not around (rarely see it in Michigan) but then it comes out and I find myself looking for a hat now to protect myself a bit.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 18 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #2037

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 18 2019, 05:27 PM) *

Carbon 914 parts anyone?

You weren't kidding around... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 18 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #2038

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 18 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Oh, she's a WIDE girl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 18 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #2039

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 18 2019, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 15 2019, 09:06 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/new_shocked.gif) No . . . . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

After just going though seemingly non-stop Mohs surgeries on my face, and then the Melnoma and skin grafts on my shoulder, I'll be praying that all biopsies come back negative.

That sun is a bitch! I miss it when it's not around (rarely see it in Michigan) but then it comes out and I find myself looking for a hat now to protect myself a bit.

Ugh - yep. One melanoma (upper left cheek) and a year later, a basal cell Mohs (lower left cheek). Now this biopsy really near the melanoma site.
I feel for you, brother...
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 19 2019, 04:11 AM
Post #2040

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Carbon, oh heck yeah, depending on price I would be interested in ..... Oh wait not on the 914-6 build, it was meant to be period correct parts build..... Oh do I love good Carbon

Carbon Fiber Mini-Lights he can call them Ubber-lites. Wonder if the design is still protected, as I prefer the originals over all the copies with their odd spoke with a lug hole in them. That would be one place I would deviate on, Reduce unsprung weight is always a goal for me.

Cool facility looks like he has the right stuff, if he has a large 3D Scanner, then you are golden, and should be able to calculate the shrink rate, and build a great part. Since he is building wheels I think he has composite down to a bit of a science. That is unless he is doing these for wall clocks. In which case still very cool.
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 100 101 102 103 104 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:59 PM