Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 101 102 103 104 105 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
sixnotfour
post Nov 19 2019, 05:15 AM
Post #2041

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

check out Ring Brothers SEMA Camaro..... lots of similar open pattern panels/stiffeners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 19 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #2042

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 19 2019, 02:11 AM) *

Carbon, oh heck yeah, depending on price I would be interested in ..... Oh wait not on the 914-6 build, it was meant to be period correct parts build..... Oh do I love good Carbon

Carbon Fiber Mini-Lights he can call them Ubber-lites. Wonder if the design is still protected, as I prefer the originals over all the copies with their odd spoke with a lug hole in them. That would be one place I would deviate on, Reduce unsprung weight is always a goal for me.

Cool facility looks like he has the right stuff, if he has a large 3D Scanner, then you are golden, and should be able to calculate the shrink rate, and build a great part. Since he is building wheels I think he has composite down to a bit of a science. That is unless he is doing these for wall clocks. In which case still very cool.

@914forme Stephen. Not wall clocks. He stress tested his wheels, made improvements and ultimately ran them on his 750hp Mustang. Beat the crap out of them, heat warped rotors, things like that, and had no issues with the wheels.

I've played with composites enough that I'm of the opinion that there's no reason we should have to struggle with crap fit and tons of prep, just to get light weight parts on our cars.

After seeing the level of quality available here (skill, experience, plus proper tools and equipment), I'm entertaining the possibility of partnering with him to make bumpers, hoods and trunk lids that are "ready to run", just bolt on and go. Or paint.
I'll post updates as things happen - or don't.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
sb914
post Nov 19 2019, 08:53 AM
Post #2043

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Quote : tygaboy After seeing the level of quality available here (skill, experience, plus proper tools and equipment), I'm entertaining the possibility of partnering with him to make bumpers, hoods and trunk lids that are "ready to run", just bolt on and go. Or paint.
[/quote]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) That would be incredible! Sign me up. First in line .
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 19 2019, 10:48 AM
Post #2044

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

[quote name='sb914' date='Nov 19 2019, 06:53 AM' post='2763282']
Quote : tygaboy After seeing the level of quality available here (skill, experience, plus proper tools and equipment), I'm entertaining the possibility of partnering with him to make bumpers, hoods and trunk lids that are "ready to run", just bolt on and go. Or paint.
[/quote]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) That would be incredible! Sign me up. First in line .
[/quote]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 19 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #2045

914 Guru

Arrrg. The initial tacking in was done and I thought I had things all set... But no.

I was doing some final verification, I noticed a gap where the pick up points will be welded to the angled part of the longs.

The arrow points at where I ended up with a gap. Note this is pre-tacking and shows how things should look.

The gap was maybe 1/16 - 3/32". After all this work, I wasn't going to accept that. So I ended up cutting the tacks, pulling everything out and starting over.

Maybe the 4th time is the charm?

NOTE to others who may be doing this mod:
Once you get the pick ups positioned fore and aft, and have determined the width of the gap you'll have between the two main parts of the fixture, consider clamping a strap to both sides of the fixture to prevent it from opening up.

Or at the very least, pay more attention than I did and triple check the position ahead of tacking!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 19 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #2046

914 Guru

OK, so I leveled the car again. And this time, I checked level across two of the front suspension attachment points.

Hooray, my car isn't twisted...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 19 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #2047

914 Guru

I won't bore you with a repeat of all the steps.
Follow the Tangerine instructions, check for square, check for level, tack in.
Fit the arms, snug things up, set to ride height.

Wheel-in-flare fitment. CHECK!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 19 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #2048

914 Guru

Check for camber. No shims.

I'm within about 1/4 degree side to side.

Following in Mr. Hail's footsteps, I plan to follow a weld sequence of "outside top, inside bottom" first so any distortion that happens will add additional negative camber.

On to checking that I can achieve proper toe. Assuming so, weld all this in then add the sheet metal plating.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 19 2019, 06:01 PM
Post #2049

914 Guru

My first attempt at checking toe. I ran out of jack stands so just used some scrap perforated material to form a set of parallel string lines around the car. Not too sexy but it works.

With the outer mount moved all the way back, I can just get a bit of toe out so I'm calling the pick up points "in the correct (enough) position"!

Time to final weld all the pieces.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Nov 19 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #2050

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 19 2019, 05:09 PM) *

OK, so I leveled the car again. And this time, I checked level across two of the front suspension attachment points.

"Make the noise"!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 19 2019, 06:52 PM
Post #2051

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Scott PORSTI Fame made a set of string holders for his car, pretty slick, well with in your talents.

Enjoy Chris
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 20 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #2052

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 19 2019, 05:52 PM) *

Scott PORSTI Fame made a set of string holders for his car, pretty slick, well with in your talents.

Enjoy Chris

There's another version here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1808793
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 20 2019, 06:06 PM
Post #2053

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) I don't see Chris doing PVC.

I do see him, building the entire thing out of Aluminum using A CNC laser cutter, then TIG welding the brackets. Then making it all fit in a USPS flat rate box and selling the kits all over the world to people who want the best.

The nice thing about PVC it is simple, the bad thing is it bends. I know it is all reference, and as long as it is square and equal off center you are good. What I don't like is the lack of artistry it takes to make them. Ingenuity maybe but no artistry.

Chris I already have this drawn up in my head, hard anodized please with mill cut reliefs and radiuses edges.

You can read my mind right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 20 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #2054

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 20 2019, 04:06 PM) *

I do see him, building the entire thing out of Aluminum using A CNC laser cutter, then TIG welding the brackets. Then making it all fit in a USPS flat rate box and selling the kits all over the world to people who want the best.

The nice thing about PVC it is simple, the bad thing is it bends. I know it is all reference, and as long as it is square and equal off center you are good. What I don't like is the lack of artistry it takes to make them. Ingenuity maybe but no artistry.

Chris I already have this drawn up in my head, hard anodized please with mill cut reliefs and radiuses edges.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

You forgot that he would go through 4 design trials and still wouldn't be happy with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 20 2019, 09:33 PM
Post #2055

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 20 2019, 05:06 PM) *

Thought the same thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) However, I should point out that the design I linked uses steel conduit for the bars. He just used PVC fittings to hold stuff together. Chris can always sub titanium and carbon fiber as need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 21 2019, 01:31 PM
Post #2056

914 Guru

I called my Mom and (sniff), told her the other boys were (sniff, sniff) picking on me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 21 2019, 02:00 PM
Post #2057

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

No sniffing in the garge. You are rocking this.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 21 2019, 02:00 PM
Post #2058

914 Guru

Back on post #2026, I speculated that I'd make a thinner "large stainless washer" to help with outboard tire clearance. I decided I would go ahead with that.

Here's a comparo. Note the one I made is fresh off the plasma table and will be dressed and deburred, but you get the idea. Thinner means the trailing arm moves inboard by the difference.

Frankly, when I look at the Elephant install instructions, I wonder why I need this at all. I have a call in to Elephant to ask if I can just eliminate it altogether. When you see how this contraption goes together, you see there's a shoulder on the pivot shaft that ends up bolted hard against the washer anyway.

Why can't I just let it go hard up against the inner ear of the new suspension console? It's not a bearing surface...

Yes, I know there'a an overall width dimension but if I make it up on the other side, why wouldn't that be OK?

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Nov 21 2019, 02:01 PM
Post #2059

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Nov 19 2019, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 19 2019, 05:09 PM) *

"Make the noise"!

You beat me to it!!!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 21 2019, 02:04 PM
Post #2060

914 Guru

Triple double checking all the measurements. In order to do that, and because I'm running late Carrera hub-centric hubs, I have to install the axles in order to ensure there's no play in the position of the wheel.

To do all this work, you have to climb in and out from under the car 3486 times. How may times did I smack my head on the inner CV joints? I don't know because I have amnesia from multiple blunt force head traumas... (literally = (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) )

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 101 102 103 104 105 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:30 PM