Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 114 115 116 117 118 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Feb 20 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #2301

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 20 2020, 01:31 PM) *

@Cairo94507 - Thanks Michael, you are too kind...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 20 2020, 07:58 PM
Post #2302

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 20 2020, 01:31 PM) *

Wow thats a major design change! Gives it more of a sleeper look than an outlaw or 916 look.

Certainly be much faster than making a roof! Im curious. Are you going to make a couple of wind holes in the rear of the top to allow for some pressure relief while the windows are down?

I've always wondered if people with GOOD seals had that issue.

@Andyrew - You mean for when I'm doing 135 with the windows down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I think that as well as bonding the roof on, I'll also take advantage of where the rear latches bolt on to have a bracket welded to the roof that bolts to those locations.
Remember, the front of the roof has a big lip that tucks into the back of the windshield frame so no chance of the front lifting.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 21 2020, 11:05 AM
Post #2303

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

@Tygboy Chris you ever think about sectioning two tops and then bonding them to the inner structure. That extra 1/4" or so would not be noticed by most, and would look completely stealth.

I sent you a PM on th trade.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 21 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #2304

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 20 2020, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 20 2020, 01:31 PM) *

Wow thats a major design change! Gives it more of a sleeper look than an outlaw or 916 look.

Certainly be much faster than making a roof! Im curious. Are you going to make a couple of wind holes in the rear of the top to allow for some pressure relief while the windows are down?

I've always wondered if people with GOOD seals had that issue.

@Andyrew - You mean for when I'm doing 135 with the windows down? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I think that as well as bonding the roof on, I'll also take advantage of where the rear latches bolt on to have a bracket welded to the roof that bolts to those locations.
Remember, the front of the roof has a big lip that tucks into the back of the windshield frame so no chance of the front lifting.

135 comes pretty quick at that power level.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Most of the time when Im taking the 914 out I have the top off, so I dont really notice much above 120.

Im just thinking of path of air travel. Buffeting is certainly an issue with most cars. Might be something fun to test later on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 21 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #2305

914 Guru

Here's the other end of the "attentive observer" item: this shows the change in the roof's rear overhang, given the shift forward due to the missing front seal.

I was worried it might be too obvious and look wonky but I think this will work fine.

@914forme - I can live with this and forgo the sectioning of the roof! That would be a bunch of work...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 21 2020, 05:09 PM
Post #2306

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 21 2020, 02:56 PM) *

Here's the other end of the "attentive observer" item: this shows the change in the roof's rear overhang, given the shift forward due to the missing front seal.

I was worried it might be too obvious and look wonky but I think this will work fine.

@914forme - I can live with this and forgo the sectioning of the roof! That would be a bunch of work...

Looks better than stock IMHO
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 21 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #2307

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 21 2020, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 21 2020, 02:56 PM) *

Looks better than stock IMHO

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 21 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #2308

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) maybe we should all be cutting ours down.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 22 2020, 03:36 PM
Post #2309

914 Guru

A bit of roll bending, measuring as carefully as possible, notching and fitting.

I'm currently doing this work by myself so having the car on the rotisserie makes a HUGE difference. It would have been WAY more difficult without it.

And remember, the rear end of those side rail bars is notched. This pic makes it look like they're sitting fully on top of the targa bar.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 22 2020, 03:38 PM
Post #2310

914 Guru

You couldn't really see the roll bend in that last pic. Here it is with the roof on and you can see the bar tucks nicely up into the curve of the roof. I shouldn't have any interference issues but I'll test sit/fit ahead of welding anything in.

Worst case, I can use a bit smaller diameter tubing and/or offset the notch to move the bar up til it just touches the roof.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 22 2020, 04:05 PM
Post #2311

Spooling.... Please wait

Make sure to wear your helmet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mine just about touches the roof...
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 22 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #2312

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I took my trim off, shortened the roof 1 inch, and re contoured the back edge, adding a curve...redrum

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 22 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #2313

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Good to see you this week, Chris!

As usual, your fab work looks fab. Thing is, this setup—while undoubtedly strong—has me worried about your safety. Wouldn't take much give in a set of seatbelts for a skull to connect with that steel bar—and I don't think it would take all that much to seriously stiffen the 914 via this concept. Would flat bars or something similar work? Or maybe a bar across the windshield header and a single or double bar in the center of the top? Just thinking out loud while you are at this point (so feel free to ignore!).

Best,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 22 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #2314

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Armando's, Gt roof

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 22 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #2315

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 22 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Armando's, Gt roof

That's the way the factory racing department did it, and one wonders what could be accomplished with modern materials.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 23 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #2316

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 22 2020, 02:49 PM) *

As usual, your fab work looks fab. Thing is, this setup—while undoubtedly strong—has me worried about your safety. Wouldn't take much give in a set of seatbelts for a skull to connect with that steel bar—and I don't think it would take all that much to seriously stiffen the 914 via this concept. Would flat bars or something similar work? Or maybe a bar across the windshield header and a single or double bar in the center of the top? Just thinking out loud while you are at this point (so feel free to ignore!).

Best,

@horizontally-opposed - Hi Pete. The pics make the bar look lower than it is, but I agree: I'd prefer as much room as I can get up there.

So today, I took an initial swing at fabbing the X-brace out of sheet metal. This one is certainly going to end up as a "practice/learning" piece and is another example of how I need to physically work with the part and see it in the car before I actually understand what I'm hoping to do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It's 18 ga with a 1/2" lip. The holes are where I'll add the speed holes/dimples.

This piece would end up being welded to the bars at the corners and bonded/riveted to the roof as shown in my awesome graphic, below. In the end, this extends only 1/2" below the inside of the roof. Plenty of room and essentially no risk of a head bonk.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 23 2020, 04:17 PM
Post #2317

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 23 2020, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 22 2020, 02:49 PM) *

Best,

@horizontally-opposed - Hi Pete. The pics make the bar look lower than it is, but I agree: I'd prefer as much room as I can get up there.

So today, I took an initial swing at fabbing the X-brace out of sheet metal. This one is certainly going to end up as a "practice/learning" piece and is another example of how I need to physically work with the part and see it in the car before I actually understand what I'm hoping to do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

It's 18 ga with a 1/2" lip. The holes are where I'll add the speed holes/dimples.

This piece would end up being welded to the bars at the corners and bonded/riveted to the roof as shown in my awesome graphic, below. In the end, this extends only 1/2" below the inside of the roof. Plenty of room and essentially no risk of a head bonk.

Nice work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

That looks a lot safer, and it's a nice modernization of the factory design, too, which Roland Kussmaul says was extremely effective. Next challenge: Possible to round the lower edges of those beams, and maybe add a bit of hard foam and maybe even vinyl? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

All in love, brother!

+Quote Post
live free & drive
post Feb 23 2020, 05:55 PM
Post #2318

Member No.: 20,159

Anyway you could de-skin a Frunk lid and a trunk lid and section and piece together a viable/factory looking support using the factory stamped reinforcement channels?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 23 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #2319

914 Guru

QUOTE(live free & drive @ Feb 23 2020, 03:55 PM) *

Anyway you could de-skin a Frunk lid and a trunk lid and section and piece together a viable/factory looking support using the factory stamped reinforcement channels?

@live free & drive - Now that is an interesting idea... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Plus, I suspect the curvature would be very close, if not just right.

I'll have to check that out and I just may take you up on your suggestion if my current plans don't work out.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 23 2020, 06:33 PM
Post #2320

914 Guru

I quickly gave up on trying to make the X-brace from one piece. Bending the flanges was really time consuming and didn't work as well as I'd have hoped, particularly in the corners of the X. There would be a bit of welding and metal finishing, just to make it look OK in that area. In the end, I think I can get a better result using multiple pieces.

So, I cut and bent up some 18 ga, then added the dimples. The lower is one piece, the upper is actually two short pieces. Better use of material...

Lots of shaping left to go but you get the idea.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 114 115 116 117 118 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:42 PM