Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 117 118 119 120 121 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
Andyrew
post Mar 4 2020, 08:20 AM
Post #2361

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I think the rain drop is too vertical, I think it needs to be flares out at more of an angle. Also it still might be too tall but that'll be easier to determine with the skin on.

At least this is in comparison to the 916 images.

Still looks damn amazing.

How much would it take to build up maybe an additional "V" brace along the inner A piller out of say 14ga? That would do a lot for strength, even just for chassis twist alone. You probably need to hog out some of the a pillar trim but that's the fun stuff (hidden secrets).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 4 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #2362

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 4 2020, 06:20 AM) *

I think the rain drop is too vertical, I think it needs to be flares out at more of an angle. Also it still might be too tall but that'll be easier to determine with the skin on.

How much would it take to build up maybe an additional "V" brace along the inner A piller out of say 14ga? That would do a lot for strength, even just for chassis twist alone. You probably need to hog out some of the a pillar trim but that's the fun stuff (hidden secrets).

@Andyrew - I think I'm going to pause on the steel roof skin work for a bit. Why, you ask? I'm taking a stock roof and a couple other items to the composite mfg I posted about a few months ago.

If costs are "reasonable", I think I'd prefer a composite roof skin. Also, this MAY lead to the availability of some very high quality parts - I'm hoping hoods, trunks and bumpers. I'd have to front the $ for the molds so we'll have to see if it pencils out.

I'll report back on all this, once I know what's what.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 4 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #2363

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2020, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 4 2020, 06:20 AM) *

@Andyrew - I think I'm going to pause on the steel roof skin work for a bit. Why, you ask? I'm taking a stock roof and a couple other items to the composite mfg I posted about a few months ago.

If costs are "reasonable", I think I'd prefer a composite roof skin. Also, this MAY lead to the availability of some very high quality parts - I'm hoping hoods, trunks and bumpers. I'd have to front the $ for the molds so we'll have to see if it pencils out.

I'll report back on all this, once I know what's what.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 4 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #2364

914 Guru

Initial location/fit/line up for trimming of the other brace pieces.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 4 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #2365

914 Guru

Passenger front fit and tacked in, then roof test fit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 5 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #2366

914 Guru

The X-brace is fit and tacked in! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I have one area on the underside, rear part of the roof that needs to be trimmed for everything to clear and I'll be ready to final weld this in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 5 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #2367

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looking forward to seeing a composite skin on that roof. Structurally it looks amazing.
“Top” work Chris!

Cheers
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 14 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #2368

914 Guru

I'm adding an "end cap" to each of the corner areas of the X-brace. The underside of the roof rolls over and nearly contacts the upper edge of the X-brace so these caps barely protrude above that level and essentially contact the roof, making them a nice surface to which that area of the roof can be bonded. Plus, these nicely tie the ends of the X-brace to the side bars.

Next, I need to get the carbon fiber roof panel and position it on the car. That will allow me to measure and fab these caps for the rest of the X-brace such that they juuuuust contact the under side of the roof and serve as additional bonding surfaces.

This whole fixed roof effort seems to be going to plan, at least so far. But keen eyes will notice the main side bars are still only tacked in. If it all goes south, I can remove the entire structure and run a stock, removable roof set up.

Fingers crossed it doesn't go that way...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 15 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #2369

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Just amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Mar 15 2020, 11:32 PM
Post #2370

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

I really hope to see this car in person one day.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 16 2020, 08:38 AM
Post #2371

914 Guru

QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 15 2020, 10:32 PM) *

@mbseto - If (and it's a pretty big if) my master plan comes to fruition, I'd like to do a cross country tour, stop and meet everyone who's commented on my build and have them sign the underside of the trunk lid.

You all have had some sort of impact on my thinking, planning or execution and I really hope I find a way to honor that.

...assuming I actually finish the dang thing!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 16 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #2372

914 Guru

Here's the freshly installed front corner cap. Pretty much the same on both sides so I'll spare the server the extra pic...

I have a ways to go on my TIG welding but these won't be visible. So long as they're strong.

And yes, I went back and fully welded the gaps at the corner, just didn't take a pic.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Mar 16 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #2373

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 16 2020, 10:38 AM) *

@mbseto - If (and it's a pretty big if) my master plan comes to fruition, I'd like to do a cross country tour, stop and meet everyone who's commented on my build and have them sign the underside of the trunk lid.

You all have had some sort of impact on my thinking, planning or execution and I really hope I find a way to honor that.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for this!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 16 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #2374

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Dibs if you don't finish it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 16 2020, 04:36 PM
Post #2375

Some one had to say it. And trust me I understand if it gets to that, but would prefer if you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) on. It is hard when life gets in the way, and you lose the vision you had for the project.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 18 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #2376

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 16 2020, 03:36 PM) *

Some one had to say it. And trust me I understand if it gets to that, but would prefer if you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) on. It is hard when life gets in the way, and you lose the vision you had for the project.

@914forme Stephen - Not to worry. The "assuming I actually finish..." comment was my attempt to poke fun at myself for how I constantly re-do, change or add more scope to this build.
No loss of vision and nothing really in the way. Well, OK, just me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Back to it...
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Mar 18 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #2377

Member No.: 20,051

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 16 2020, 07:38 AM) *

Oh please say it's true! I've only commented a few times but I must claim my right to ogle this awesome machine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (Also I'm not so far away, might even be on the way for your road trip)

Since you have the extra roof rigidity have you thought of still making the top removable? Or does having the stock roof bonded on add some extra stiffness?
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Mar 18 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #2378

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 16 2020, 02:42 PM) *

Dibs if you don't finish it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

We could start bidding on the uncompleted project, but the price keeps going up everyday so this could get expensive.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 18 2020, 02:14 PM
Post #2379

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) or cheaper as it narrows the focus from people who would not want this sort of thing. The value is only valued by a few. I am sure this would be a short list of us, who would be willing to pony up for such awesomeness as you see in this car.

The downside is that this car crosses lots of other car centric interest areas. Its a custom, its a hotrod, its a Porsche, its a 914, and its a piece of art if your into metal art.

But what I said and I say it again. Chris finish this build, I know how hard it is even when it is the right decision to not finished project can haunt you for years. That being said do this for you, your the only one you need to make happy here. Build it for you, build it because you want to, then drive it and if you hate it, let it go. Experience speaking here.

When I was 14 I picked up a 1965 Jeep CJ-5 that was in pieces out of a guys garage. He bought everything new, including a new Fiberglass body. I spent 2 years rebuilding the Jeep, and when I turned 16 I was able to drive it on the street. I learned to weld and fabricate on this Jeep, I learned to rebuild drive lines brakes, everything. It was mine I put my heart and soul into it. I drove it down the driveway, and onto the street went 1000 feet, turned around in the neighbors driveway and drove it back home, and put it in the garage. It sat for 10 years, and I never drove it, I sold it finally to a friend moving to Colorado, where it lived a great life. And Glad that CJ-5 lived its proper life. But it would not have been sitting in a garage in Ohio.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 19 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #2380

914 Guru

I decided to work on something that is required to get the car running: radiator hoses!
As mentioned a while back, I'm going to run the hoses under the car in the floor "channels". It proven to work, etc, etc.
That said, I didn't want to use the typical plumber style hose routing clamp, as pictured here. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't appeal to me.
In particular, I didn't like the way they look like they could "unfold" at the 90 degree bend. Yes, I know they are shaped in such a way as to add cross section to combat that, but still.

So, I came up with an idea I thought might work...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 117 118 119 120 121 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:10 PM