Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Feb 3 2017, 01:23 PM
Post #241

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I have most of the rear trunk modification pieces figured out and cut or at least roughed out. Now it's time to permanently install everything. It's turning out that the first piece that has to be welded in is the Tangerine Racing raised rear shock tower kit. So here I go...

First, I have to give a shout out to Chris Foley at Tangerine - great products and even better support. Every time I've called, he's answered the phone and been more than willing to spend as much time as I needed to answer my questions.
VENDOR OF THIS BUILD, for sure!

Anyway, I copied Stephen's (914forme) approach and welded in a disc with a pre-drilled hole just to help. Then it's hole saw away, trying not to have my arms ripped from my body when it grabs.

The only thing I could think once the first one was done was "Well, I'm committed now..."

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 3 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #242

914 Guru

I'm bouncing around between the shock towers and rear trans mount.
The final design for the mount used a different top piece. Better all around.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 3 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #243

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Rear trans mount when you have those beefy side mounts seems redundant but hey thats half the fun, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 3 2017, 07:07 PM
Post #244

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Chris I too wonder if that support is required. Regardless though it does look trick. I'm thinking that if your tranny came off a 911 then you probably don't need it. However I'd leave it just cause it looks so good and you can never go wrong in over engineering. Sometimes belts and suspenders are good.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 3 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #245

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Hey Chris! You fab skills are awesome! I was wondering if you had considered putting one new support "tube" across the width of the trunk about 12" in front of the existing factory structure that the stock trans bolts to? It would be directly above the black bar that is already mounted to your Boxster trans. The tube could be welded to part of the shock towers as well. It would simplify you mounting and maybe save some weight. You could even elminate...dare I say all of the beautiful creations you have between the shock towers. Thats the minimalist me. I know you have a serious amount of time in the mounts/ bracketry . It just seems like that black trans "adapter" bracket is a working too hard for such an amazing custom build. XO brother.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 3 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #246

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 3 2017, 03:07 PM) *

Rear trans mount when you have those beefy side mounts seems redundant but hey thats half the fun, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 3 2017, 05:07 PM) *

Hey Chris I too wonder if that support is required. Regardless though it does look trick. I'm thinking that if your tranny came off a 911 then you probably don't need it. However I'd leave it just cause it looks so good and you can never go wrong in over engineering. Sometimes belts and suspenders are good.

The existing mounts extend back from the cradle to connect to the stock transmission hanger mount location. I added those 1.5" spacers, which creates added leverage on the cradle mount. While it's probably not absolutely needed, I'm adding the rear mount as insurance.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 4 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #247

914 Guru

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 3 2017, 05:45 PM) *

Hey Chris! You fab skills are awesome! I was wondering if you had considered putting one new support "tube" across the width of the trunk about 12" in front of the existing factory structure that the stock trans bolts to? It would be directly above the black bar that is already mounted to your Boxster trans. The tube could be welded to part of the shock towers as well. It would simplify you mounting and maybe save some weight. You could even elminate...dare I say all of the beautiful creations you have between the shock towers. Thats the minimalist me. I know you have a serious amount of time in the mounts/ bracketry . It just seems like that black trans "adapter" bracket is a working too hard for such an amazing custom build. XO brother.

Thanks, Andy. I want some sort of panel in there so that'll be staying. But your idea about the additional cross bar has me thinking of ways to get the "insurance" of additional support without having to extend past the stock trans mount. That'd give me a cleaner overall design and more trunk space. I've been thinking of how I may be able to carry a space saver spare somewhere (other than strapped to the roof!) and I wonder if your suggestion may open a door for that.

And to all, y'all: I'm a fan of brainstorming and throwing around ideas so please, keep the comments coming! I need all the help I can get.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 4 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #248

Advanced Member

So use the one you made at the rear of the trans and the new cross beam directly over the black bracket. How much support does the stock Boxster or 911 use to hold that trans up?
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 4 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #249

Advanced Member

You might look at a Boxster spare tire. They are tall and very skinny. They are much newer than the collapsible old cracked space saver and are always inflated. I have one in my car if you'd like to try it on for size or have some measurements.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 5 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #250

914 Guru

Before I can close up the firewall, I need to add some beading to the panel to prevent it from oil canning and to add some visual appeal. I'm just starting to play with designs.
The left side is, again, maybe to 'hot roddy' so I started thinking about maybe trying to make it look more factory-ish. The lines on the right side are just to give me an idea of how that width would look.

Out comes the trusty laser level (note the professional stabilizing mount! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ). I figured I'd start by projecting the shapes on the upper firewall onto the lower area. It's kinda neat that, if I do this, I'll have a nice "V" on the panel - a nod to the LS3!

And, in typical "I didn't really think this through" fashion, since I already bent the flanges, I can't fit this already done-and-fit lower firewall into the bead roller. I'll be making another...

Remember: Pants first, THEN shoes.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 5 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #251

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I like the left personally...

T
+Quote Post
Dion
post Feb 5 2017, 12:15 PM
Post #252

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'd go with the left side version as well. Otherwise project looks great as usual.
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Feb 5 2017, 01:42 PM
Post #253

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 5 2017, 01:10 PM) *

I like the left personally...

T

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The right tools make all the difference. Great job!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 5 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #254

914 Guru

A good buddy of mine brought his new drone (DJI Mavic) over to see how it would behave inside a metal building.
I'll post the "Shop Tour" video in a bit but for now, here's my new favorite pic of my car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Feb 6 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #255

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

^^ Super cool shot!^^
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 6 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #256

914 Guru

It's a rare event that I get into the shop during the week but I'm feeling like I'll never make the 9/14 date with a "weekends only" approach.
It feels good to FINALLY be putting things back on this area of the car!

Tonight, it was the Tangerine Racing shock tower kit positioned and tacked in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

As well as setting the angles, I took the time to use a straight edge to align the bolt holes symmetrically from side to side. Again, something no one will likely notice but it's the sort of detail that I think adds up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 7 2017, 08:58 AM
Post #257

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Nice! It's looking great! Symmetrical alignment is definitely one of those things that people notice when they're looking at the final product. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just a question...do Boxster transmissions typically have a rear chassis mount? Putting a rear mount on more or less makes it a totally constrained stressed member in the car which will impart some forces into it as the chassis twists. If they weren't designed for that I just worry about some internal binding. Not sure if this is actually a real concern or not. I know stressed engines can be concerning because of slightly changing bearing and piston/cylinder clearances.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 7 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #258

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Yes. He is using the factory mount locations on the rear of the case...

Tony

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2017, 09:58 AM) *

Just a question...do Boxster transmissions typically have a rear chassis mount?

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 7 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #259

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 7 2017, 10:09 AM) *

Oh OK. I knew the mufflers mounted there but didn't know it was also a chassis pickup.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 7 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #260

914 Guru

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2017, 07:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 7 2017, 10:09 AM) *

Oh OK. I knew the mufflers mounted there but didn't know it was also a chassis pickup.

Why do I love this forum? Because people ask questions and I get to learn stuff!

jd74914 asked a question and I figured I'd better check. Turns out that, near as I can tell, that rear set of pick ups is only a muffler mount. That doesn't preclude it from being leveraged as something else but I think I'll ask around a bit before finalizing on how/if to do this rear mount.
Good thing I'm about the journey, not the destination!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 01:17 PM