Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 127 128 129 130 131 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post May 1 2020, 02:16 PM
Post #2561

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I dubbed today "Repurposed Friday".
With the car off the rotisserie, I can now get at the front panel to cut it for the radiator inlet.
But since I plan to keep the hood latch, I want to retain a section of the panel from below the latch, connected to the lower area. And I wanted to reinforce that area before cutting the openings.
A bent channel section of sheet metal would be best but that area has a lovely slight curve and making the needed piece would be fiddly.
What to do?

I've noticed that there are a lot if similarly curved pieces on these cars. I wonder if I can repurpose a part from somewhere else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I had a trashed engine lid and noticed this wonderful, curved sheet metal channel!
Would it? Could it?

Slice, slice, shape, shape.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 1 2020, 02:20 PM
Post #2562

914 Guru

Yep, that'll do it. Still a bit of final shaping but yet another interesting "looky there" moment.

So if anyone asks: Yes, you can use a trashed engine lid to make a hood latch support for your water-cooled conversion! And it's all Porsche metal so you gotta love that.

I need to order longer arms for my spot welder in order to reach in far enough so it'll be a few days before this get's welded in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 2 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #2563

914 Guru

I tacked on yesterday's support brace, doodled out a shape that I thought made sense and cut the main radiator openings.
Sharp eyes may have noticed I had drawn a couple other hole locations on the angled areas just outside where the main openings are.
To @Rand 's point, it's another unneeded mod but I always wanted to do it so...
Here's the before and after drilling the pilot holes.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 2 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #2564

914 Guru

Then I use a knock-out punch to cut the appropriate hole needed for the dimple die. I use a Harbor Freight hydraulic pump set up. It works wonderfully. The knock-out punch set as well as the dimple dies are from SWAG Off Road in Oregon. Great stuff!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 2 2020, 01:37 PM
Post #2565

914 Guru

With the holes punched, the same press is used to stamp the dimple.
Here you can see the amount of metal that gets moved to make the dimple.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 2 2020, 01:38 PM
Post #2566

914 Guru

Done and done. Stamping all four took maybe 20 minutes.
No, you'll never see these. Yes, I'll know they're there.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 2 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #2567

914 Guru

My take on a water-cooled front opening.

Maybe I'll work up a frame and add some grill work...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post May 2 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #2568

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

You have all the coolest toys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 2 2020, 02:44 PM
Post #2569

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Very clean!! I love it.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 2 2020, 04:28 PM
Post #2570

914 Guru

Thanks for all the nice words, guys.

And back to today's work: I should have waited until I was "done", before posting pics.
I drew up and cut a quick set of covers for the BUB mount holes as they would otherwise bleed off some air that should flow to the radiator.

If anyone wants a set of these covers, PM me. Yours for the cost of shipping from 94952. Well, OK. And you can buy me a coffee, should we ever meet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 2 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #2571

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Love the cut-out for the radiator and the extra dimple-die cutouts for additional airflow. What kind of screen or mesh covering are you going to use to protect the radiator? As low as our cars are everything on the road gets thrown at them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post May 3 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #2572

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 2 2020, 02:28 PM) *

And back to today's work: I should have waited until I was "done", before posting pics.
I drew up and cut a quick set of covers for the BUB mount holes as they would otherwise bleed off some air that should flow to the radiator.

If anyone wants a set of these covers, PM me. Yours for the cost of shipping from 94952. Well, OK. And you can buy me a coffee, should we ever meet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The build is ruined! You used two different types of hardware to mount the block off plates?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 3 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #2573

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 2 2020, 04:34 PM) *

Love the cut-out for the radiator and the extra dimple-die cutouts for additional airflow. What kind of screen or mesh covering are you going to use to protect the radiator? As low as our cars are everything on the road gets thrown at them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

@Cairo94507 Michael - I have some light-ish expanded material that I think will work for the screen. More a question of if I mount it on the nose panel, where it'd be essentially hidden, or in the bumper cutout, where I could make it more of a feature. I'll play around with it and make that call when the time comes.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 3 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #2574

914 Guru

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ May 3 2020, 06:54 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 2 2020, 02:28 PM) *

The build is ruined! You used two different types of hardware to mount the block off plates?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Hold on now, @tazz9924 ! I should actually get credit. The large bolt uses the factory threaded insert. I "added lightness" by using that smaller sized fastener! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 3 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #2575

914 Guru

Yesterday was all about the front. Today, the back. The drive train is back in and should stay in until this thing sees the road! It's been months since I saw this view.

On the down side:
Ugh...now to see what I can do to tidy up the wiring... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
The fun part is that the Holley ECU comes with a wiring harness that expects the engine to be in the front of the car so almost all the connection points are "backwards". Hence the extra lengths everywhere, except where things are way too short and I have to use extensions... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I am not well practiced with wiring but I suspect I'm about to learn all about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post May 3 2020, 04:53 PM
Post #2576

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 3 2020, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 2 2020, 04:34 PM) *

@Cairo94507 Michael - I have some light-ish expanded material that I think will work for the screen. More a question of if I mount it on the nose panel, where it'd be essentially hidden, or in the bumper cutout, where I could make it more of a feature. I'll play around with it and make that call when the time comes.

Make your own mesh out of aluminum by programming your cutter to cut hundreds of little 914 and Porsche emblems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 3 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #2577

914 Guru

And for anyone running/considering running the Boxster S 6-speed, here's the axle angle you get when you move the drive train forward 1.5 inches, like I did. I'm still running the Renegade 1/2" spacers between the output flanges and the inner CV.

In all, I think I reduced the axle angle by about 1/2 of what it would otherwise have been.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post May 3 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #2578

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 3 2020, 03:56 PM) *

And for anyone running/considering running the Boxster S 6-speed, here's the axle angle you get when you move the drive train forward 1.5 inches, like I did. I'm still running the Renegade 1/2" spacers between the output flanges and the inner CV.

In all, I think I reduced the axle angle by about 1/2 of what it would otherwise have been.

Is the angle due to the LS and adapter or the transmission or both?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 4 2020, 06:44 AM
Post #2579

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Wow! That is a great shot with the engine and headers. I can't wait to see and hear that engine running. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 4 2020, 08:35 AM
Post #2580

914 Guru

QUOTE(djway @ May 3 2020, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 3 2020, 03:56 PM) *

Is the angle due to the LS and adapter or the transmission or both?

@djway - the Renegade kit assumes a stock chassis and in order to fit the LS with the Boxster 6-speed, the axle output shafts end up where they end up. Tony @Cracker suggested addressing the high-ish axle angle, if possible to help reduce CV stress. I figured I'd just move the lower firewall a bit and scoot everything as far forward as I could.
Those aluminum blocks between the black components of the trans mount are the distance things went to the front.
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 127 128 129 130 131 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:26 PM