Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
Amenson
post Feb 7 2017, 11:15 AM
Post #261

That's opposite lock!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 7 2017, 11:16 AM) *

Why do I love this forum? Because people ask questions and I get to learn stuff!

jd74914 asked a question and I figured I'd better check. Turns out that, near as I can tell, that rear set of pick ups is only a muffler mount. That doesn't preclude it from being leveraged as something else but I think I'll ask around a bit before finalizing on how/if to do this rear mount.
Good thing I'm about the journey, not the destination!

Given your incredible eye for detail and the skill/equipment to implement, it may be time to ditch the Renegade transmission mount and it's drawbacks and make something without compromises...and probably prettier!

Cheers,
Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 7 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #262

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 7 2017, 09:15 AM) *

Why do I love this forum? Because people ask questions and I get to learn stuff!

jd74914 asked a question and I figured I'd better check. Turns out that, near as I can tell, that rear set of pick ups is only a muffler mount. That doesn't preclude it from being leveraged as something else but I think I'll ask around a bit before finalizing on how/if to do this rear mount.

Given your incredible eye for detail and the skill/equipment to implement, it may be time to ditch the Renegade transmission mount and it's drawbacks and make something without compromises...and probably prettier!

Cheers,
Scott

Scott - Wow, thanks for the compliment. I have to say that the Renegade mount has proven itself in Tony's (Cracker) car in a far higher stress environment (and with 100+ more hp!) than what mine will likely ever see. I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel, just maybe augment it to provide a safety factor to account for the 1.5" spacers.
I've got a new idea in mind that I want to noodle on a bit more. I'll post as I work through it.
Keep the suggestions coming, please!
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 7 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #263

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 7 2017, 12:15 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Sorry-didn't mean to open a can of worms.

Your engine rocks side-to-side about the axis of the crankshaft-that movement is pretty likely well covered by the existing mounts (primarily engine I would think). There is a vertical component of force from launch which provides the reaction force for the turning axles. Then depending on driveshaft angle there is a force caused by some off-axis loading when the axles are turning (could be forwards-backwards or vertical). Have to think about that some more...

What's your peak torque?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 7 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #264

914 Guru

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 7 2017, 10:23 AM) *

Sorry-didn't mean to open a can of worms.

Your engine rocks side-to-side about the axis of the crankshaft-that movement is pretty likely well covered by the existing mounts (primarily engine I would think). There is a vertical component of force from launch which provides the reaction force for the turning axles. Then depending on driveshaft angle there is a force caused by some off-axis loading when the axles are turning (could be forwards-backwards or vertical). Have to think about that some more...

What's your peak torque?

I love cans of worms so no worries at all - I REALLY appreciate the extra eyeballs on this stuff. This is a stock LS3 and torque is rated at a bit over 400 lb/ft.

I'm planning to add stiffening/strengthening to the factory engine mounts and transmission cross brace so to simplify things, let's assume those aren't the highest risk failure points.

The whole point of the rear trans mount is to provide a safeguard to account for the extra leverage I've created by lengthening the Renegade trans mount 'ears'.

I'm thinking if I get another Renegade Poly trans mount and add it at the rear, I eliminate at least part (most? all?) of that leverage from the middle of the trans. If there is a failure, I've got my insurance. Unless all three trans mounts fail at the same time...! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

I'm no engineer so... thoughts?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 7 2017, 02:59 PM
Post #265

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 6 2017, 11:55 PM) *

It's a rare event that I get into the shop during the week but I'm feeling like I'll never make the 9/14 date with a "weekends only" approach.
It feels good to FINALLY be putting things back on this area of the car!

Tonight, it was the Tangerine Racing shock tower kit positioned and tacked in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

As well as setting the angles, I took the time to use a straight edge to align the bolt holes symmetrically from side to side. Again, something no one will likely notice but it's the sort of detail that I think adds up.

Man them are short, I guess you plan on stowing the targa top in the trunk. Aligning the bolt holes is a nice touch. Oh and watch the top of the shock mounts for binding, if using aftermarket hats you might need add a spacer. The stock hats fit perfectly.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Now remove the rear suspension consoles and move the pickup points.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 7 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #266

914 Guru

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 7 2017, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 6 2017, 11:55 PM) *

It's a rare event that I get into the shop during the week but I'm feeling like I'll never make the 9/14 date with a "weekends only" approach.
It feels good to FINALLY be putting things back on this area of the car!

Tonight, it was the Tangerine Racing shock tower kit positioned and tacked in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

As well as setting the angles, I took the time to use a straight edge to align the bolt holes symmetrically from side to side. Again, something no one will likely notice but it's the sort of detail that I think adds up.

Man them are short, I guess you plan on stowing the targa top in the trunk. Aligning the bolt holes is a nice touch. Oh and watch the top of the shock mounts for binding, if using aftermarket hats you might need add a spacer. The stock hats fit perfectly.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Now remove the rear suspension consoles and move the pickup points.

Short??! You been talking with my wife, Stephen? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Yep, you are correct: I went short so I can store the top. And the shorties don't need spacers. And yes, I did check and I'm good. Plus, I've been reading about this on your build thread - thanks for all that detail - I found it very helpful.

The Tangerine raised rear suspension pick ups are next. I'm a little nervous about those, to be honest. MAJOR surgery that simply has to go according to plan. Thankfully, I have an experienced race car fabricator buddy that's going to help me.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 8 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #267

914 Guru

Playing with the next iteration design for what I've come to refer to as the "console plates".
I may cut this design and see how I like it in real life. The trunk stiffening panel started out too hot-roddy, and while I like this new design (top pic) more than the earlier version (bottom pic), this may be a bit too art deco-y.

I'm planning to run no door panels and the early doors have a nice arch element that I'm trying to echo in the plates. "Trying" being the operative word... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

This is likely throw away since I won't really know the dimensions I want until I get the seats and shifter mounted. But I enjoy the process and I'll have a better idea of what I want once I get to that point.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #268

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I like the pink version (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Feb 8 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #269

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 7 2017, 04:59 PM) *

Man them are short,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 8 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #270

914 Guru

What's with everyone giving me a hard time about "short"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I will admit to rethinking the short vs. tall rear shock tower kit. I was going short so I could store the top. Do I really need to store the top?

I know, I'll make my own collapsible top! Sorta like the fold-able early 911 Targa roof. That'd be cool... I've actually been thinking about this for a while as storing the stock top forces a number of design constraints that limit what I'd like to do.
So, a folding top it is. I have an initial design in mind, too.

In the meantime, I've (again) changed the console plate design. V3 has separate front and rear sections. This will allow me to have a narrow(er) rear section between the seats and a wider front area for the shifter, etc. Varying widths open the door to some other, more interesting design elements, too.

Here's the front section. The rear section will bolt on to the end. I like this approach better. Feels like I'm getting close.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 9 2017, 09:09 AM
Post #271

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

That's the direction I'm going with regarding the collapsible roof. I have no choice. I need to get a hold of the 911 collapsible roof and see how we can adapt to work with the 914 seals. Chris if you are compromising your suspension set up to get the roof to store in the back I say don't compromise. Make your suspension to your liking and then make the roof work later. It makes it more interesting. Keep up the excellent work.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 9 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #272

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

it looks to be ok but just design the interior bits with: elbows, shifting and clearance in mind. I have my battery mounted against the firewall there so you are most likely ok with the new console design. looks good.

T
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Feb 9 2017, 10:26 AM
Post #273

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

You could also relocate the damper mounts lower on the trailing arms add a little travel. It'll change the motion ratio slightly, but also let you go with the shorter tower kit and fit a solid targa top in the trunk. It is a bit of work since the mounts are a pretty integral part of the trailing arm. I'm thinking of going that route just because I really want to be able to keep the stock top in the trunk.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 9 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #274

914 Guru

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 9 2017, 08:26 AM) *

You could also relocate the damper mounts lower on the trailing arms add a little travel. It'll change the motion ratio slightly, but also let you go with the shorter tower kit and fit a solid targa top in the trunk. It is a bit of work since the mounts are a pretty integral part of the trailing arm. I'm thinking of going that route just because I really want to be able to keep the stock top in the trunk.

Hey Jim. Wow, I'm looking forward to seeing that! I'm actually attracted to the idea of building a collapsible roof for one other important reason: I don't have to worry (as much) about sealing the trunk area from heat. I have an idea for a cold intake solution and with no/a smaller roof, I have a ton more room to work with for everything else that's happening in that area.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 10 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #275

914 Guru

Hmmm... Not sure I like it now that I see it against the door. I'm going to update it to better reflect those shapes. Maybe scale it down a bit, too.

I think I'll name this car "It".

Short for "iterations" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 10 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #276

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) metal roof solves your issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Feb 10 2017, 09:00 PM
Post #277

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

The door shapes aren't that pleasing to the eye. Maybe you should make a panel for the door that matches your console piece.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 12 2017, 12:25 PM
Post #278

914 Guru

I can't finalize the console plates until I get the floor in, the new tunnel installed and the seats mounted. So this weekend was focused on that.

Old tunnel out. Here's a rough fab of a plate to help distribute the loads from the tunnel tubes.

Boring, I know.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 12 2017, 12:32 PM
Post #279

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Cool. Are you dropping the floor anywhere?

T
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 12 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #280

914 Guru

My seat has a car around it! First time in over a year. It's just mocked in to help me get an idea of how much room I have (and where I have it) for the various things I need to get from the front to the rear:
- water lines
- brake line
- hydraulic clutch line
- electrical
- shifter cables

And I'm planning not to run the water lines under the car.

A friend stopped buy and I explained what I was trying to do. He looked at me for a long moment and said:

"Have you considered wireless cooling?"

He's a real funny guy.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 04:56 AM