Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 136 137 138 139 140 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
djway
post Jun 30 2020, 01:00 AM
Post #2741

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

Automobilia de Artista
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dion
post Jun 30 2020, 04:31 AM
Post #2742

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Adding lightness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Chris, I think Colin Chapman would totally approve this chassis.
Looking awesome.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 30 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #2743

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

See, I promised I'd get back to the wiring. And I'm sure learning a lot about it, I'll tell you that. Today was completing all but one of the "back of the engine" sensor connections.

I still have the MAT (manifold air temp) sensor left and the thing is, it's used to being threaded into an enclosed intake manifold. With the ITBs and no air box, I don't have anything enclosed.

I spoke with the tech folks at Borla (they make these ITBs) and I was told I can mount the MAP sensor "in the general area of the stacks" and that'll work.

OK then. So I need to make some sort of semi-attractive bracket to hold the sensor before I can determine the wire length.

All that said, what you see is all that will be visible. I'm happy with how little that's turning out to be. And once I get it covered with tidy loom/wrap, it should all but disappear. Only about 1Mx better than that factory harness I started with.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Jun 30 2020, 06:19 PM
Post #2744

If you do that clear box can you put the MAT right by one of the inlets?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 30 2020, 07:13 PM
Post #2745

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Chris, have you purchased your loom material yet? I was over at Rudy's (Curbandgutter) last week and he had some really sexy loom he is using on his Monster. I hadn't seen that material before but I like it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 30 2020, 10:04 PM
Post #2746

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 29 2020, 10:01 AM) *

Sorry @Rand , I just can't seem to focus on "get it running, then worry about the fancy stuff."

Feelin' the love (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Every detail is a work of art. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 1 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #2747

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 30 2020, 06:13 PM) *

Chris, have you purchased your loom material yet? I was over at Rudy's (Curbandgutter) last week and he had some really sexy loom he is using on his Monster. I hadn't seen that material before but I like it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

@76-914 Kent, I have some nylon sorta split wrap that came with the Holley harness. It's not bad but I'd be interested to learn about other options. I'll PM Rudy but if you have any info, please pass it along. And thanks for the heads up!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 2 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #2748

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 1 2020, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 30 2020, 06:13 PM) *

@76-914 Kent, I have some nylon sorta split wrap that came with the Holley harness. It's not bad but I'd be interested to learn about other options. I'll PM Rudy but if you have any info, please pass it along. And thanks for the heads up!

Hmm. That may be the same. IIRC, his resembled what you've described. It wrapped tightly around itself about 1.5 turns allowing for expansion or easy access to the wiring. Light, durable and pleasing to look at. I'll be back to Rudy's after the 4th and tell him to reach out to you if he hasn't already, Chris. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 2 2020, 01:27 PM
Post #2749

914 Guru

MAT sensor location solved. Funny how things work out:
Because the ITB kit is designed as "engine in front", I had to move the throttle cable stop to the other end of the valley tray (see a long time ago posts for details).

So as I was poking around trying to determine where I might mount the MAT sensor, I noticed the spot where the throttle stop would normally be...

I whipped up a neat little reinforced bracket and completed the connector wiring. Done and done. If I do make an air box at some point, I'll just be sure there's a spot for the MAT sensor. Until then, this should work.

Yes, the pic makes it look like the bracket is close to the throttle linkage but there's plenty of room.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #2750

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

That split stuff is way more expensive than the expanding stuff I used. I tried to find more of it when I was doing it but I just didnt like how it rolled. Also it needed to be tied or taped every foot or so to keep it from rolling out.

Im sure Chris will find an elegant solution to this issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It is MUCH easier to use than the stuff I used though as you dont have to worry about getting everything right before you put connectors on.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 2 2020, 01:41 PM
Post #2751

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 2 2020, 12:33 PM) *

That split stuff is way more expensive than the expanding stuff I used. I tried to find more of it when I was doing it but I just didnt like how it rolled. Also it needed to be tied or taped every foot or so to keep it from rolling out.

Im sure Chris will find an elegant solution to this issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It is MUCH easier to use than the stuff I used though as you dont have to worry about getting everything right before you put connectors on.

@Andyrew Yep, you nailed it: it's waaaay easier to do the loom wrapping afterwards. I used your expanding / non-split stuff on the injector harness and I really liked it but I'm going with the split on the rest of the harness. With most of the harness hidden, I think it'll look and work just fine.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 2 2020, 03:59 PM
Post #2752

914 Guru

OK, here's V1 of the loom wrap. Not bad, but:
There are 2, 3 or 4 20 ga wires in each of those leads that go to the connectors and I think there's a smaller diameter version of this wrap that will take some of the visual bulk away so I may try and source that and give it a try.

Again, not bad and I can live with it until / unless I find something that's a better fit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 2 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #2753

914 Guru

Before/after.
Admittedly, I have to add the passenger side injector harness but, I'd say it's a bit tidier than what I started with, eh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
djway
post Jul 2 2020, 07:06 PM
Post #2754

To anyone out there looking at all this on your phone, put it down and go to your computer.
This car is too beautiful to waste on a small screen.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 7 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #2755

914 Guru

In no way is my stuff comparable, but I do agree with Singer that "Everything is important".

So if you have to make a spacer for the MAT sensor, why NOT take a little extra time to add some style points and make it tapered vs plain?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 8 2020, 08:33 AM
Post #2756

That looks good. Did you turn that, Chris? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 8 2020, 06:20 PM
Post #2757

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) So life has gotten in the way and it has been a few weeks since I checked in on what the master fabricator was up to. I click on the last page of the thread and this pic fills my screen. So many thoughts... so many words rushing through my head... but really, what CAN be said? This pic says it all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2766-1593513096.jpeg)
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jul 8 2020, 09:42 PM
Post #2758

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

Probably way too late now and kind of a PITA to use unless you plan ahead, but I use what is referred to as "Chemical-Resistant Tube Sleeving" from Mcmaster. It's the closest thing to what the 914 wiring harness is in.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/929/

Sorry for the late reply... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 12 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #2759

914 Guru

OK, so maybe not that exciting to most of you but this is the first sign of life in the chassis since I've owned it!

I completed the tail lights harness and everything tested out 100% - SUCCESS! Yes, that little right side running lamp is out but I swapped it side to side and all's well.

To test the harness, I have a probe that can be connected to any circuit and send 12V + or ground into it. In this example, I'm just flipping the 12v + into the tail light circuit.

It's a great little unit in that, as you can hear, as soon as you connect it to the circuit, if it senses things are good, it sounds that initial tone. Flip the power to it and the tone changes to let you know things are working. So you can actually test things like lights without having to actually see them illuminate. Neat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMS9ypMKYys
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 12 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #2760

914 Guru

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jul 8 2020, 08:42 PM) *

Probably way too late now and kind of a PITA to use unless you plan ahead, but I use what is referred to as "Chemical-Resistant Tube Sleeving" from Mcmaster. It's the closest thing to what the 914 wiring harness is in.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/929/

Sorry for the late reply... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

@tomeric914 - No worries. I opted for the split stuff as it's far simpler to install, as you point out. Plus, it can be easily removed for any needed changes, adds, deletes, repairs, etc. Just what I need, given my propensity to not get things right the first time...!
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 136 137 138 139 140 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: johnek6

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:41 PM