Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

232 Pages V « < 145 146 147 148 149 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Aug 29 2020, 05:15 PM
Post #2921

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I just have to say, between Andy, Mark @markhoward and Robert @buddyv (alpha order, so no one thinks I have a favorite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) I wonder how I got so lucky as to have met these guys. Just great people...
And today? @Krieger Andy came to the rescue once again! If the vacuum radiator system wasn't enough, he also loaned me this pressure bleeder. Yeah, yeah, all you guys who know about/have these just give me a break. I have a one of those little hand held Mighty Vacs so I was dreading the task of bleeding the clutch and both brake masters.

This thing took all of about 30 seconds to do the clutch line! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Lunch and a beer on me, Andy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 29 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #2922

914 Guru

1 step (pedal?) closer to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) !

And starting it is now officially a non-event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNHZMd0tg_Y
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Aug 29 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #2923

Member No.: 20,897

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 29 2020, 04:15 PM) *

I just have to say, between Andy, Mark @markhoward and Robert @buddyv (alpha order, so no one thinks I have a favorite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) I wonder how I got so lucky as to have met these guys. Just great people...
And today? @Krieger Andy came to the rescue once again! If the vacuum radiator system wasn't enough, he also loaned me this pressure bleeder. Yeah, yeah, all you guys who know about/have these just give me a break. I have a one of those little hand held Mighty Vacs so I was dreading the task of bleeding the clutch and both brake masters.

This thing took all of about 30 seconds to do the clutch line! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Lunch and a beer on me, Andy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

We are the lucky ones to know you Chris! Amazing progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Aug 29 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #2924

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Very happy for you Chris!
And all of us too!! This is like a car person's soap opera!
Can't wait for the next episode, first drive!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Aug 29 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #2925

Future 914 copilot.

Member No.: 3,037
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 29 2020, 06:15 PM) *

Andy came to the rescue once again! If the vacuum radiator system wasn't enough, he also loaned me this pressure bleeder.

Chris or @Krieger Andy can you tell me a little more about the vacuum system that you used? Brand name?
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Aug 29 2020, 09:52 PM
Post #2926

Member No.: 20,326
Region Association: South East States

Good times Chris! Congrats! Can’t wait for the next chapter.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 29 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #2927

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(restore2seater @ Aug 29 2020, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 29 2020, 06:15 PM) *

Andy came to the rescue once again! If the vacuum radiator system wasn't enough, he also loaned me this pressure bleeder.

Chris or @Krieger Andy can you tell me a little more about the vacuum system that you used? Brand name?

@restore2seater

It is a Uview Airlift tool. I bought it for my Boxster. Amazingly simple to use and ideal for a setup like Chris has/ Boxster/Cayman. Basically it creates a vacuum in the cooling system out then draws your coolant mix into the cooling system. Here is a short video of how to use:
https://youtu.be/vwUHkee-ovw
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Aug 30 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #2928

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

Congratulations Chris (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) You must be on cloud nine. After all that work, with doubts that you may have misconnected at least one of the hundreds of connections, or that a fluid connection will leak, the list goes on. And then to hear it run.......WOW.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 30 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #2929

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Sounds great. Cool pressure bleeder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 30 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #2930

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Kinda like graduation day all over again. Except this time it's your buddies and friends instead of your parents, aunt's & uncle's. Big congratulations Chris. It's been a long but enjoyable haul. For some the real thrill is in the build. You've made it to the 90% done 90% to go plateau. Pat yourself on the back and have a beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 30 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #2931

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Ok, enough accolades. Don't inflate him too much, we still have to keep him motivated to drive it.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 30 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #2932

914 Guru

Today was my first attempt at bleeding the brakes. I was able to get two rounds of bleeding done on the front M/C and it seems good to go. But I need more fluid to complete the 2nd round on the rear.
The Tilton pedals have a balance bar and at this point, when depressing the pedal, it's clear the front M/C firms up almost immediately but you can see the bar tip a fair bit as the rear continues to compress before firming up.

It is generating enough to trigger the hydraulic brake switch so "brake lights" can be checked off the list! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I expect that I'll complete the brake bleeding tomorrow and then give the entire car a once over to check for any loose fasteners.

Once that's done, there nothing preventing it from moving and stopping under its own power. I don't think I can resist backing it out of the Red Barn and driving it up and down our lane! For sure a video-worthy event.

I still need to get it aligned and corner balanced before a full blown road test but Holey Gebus, it's really happening!
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 30 2020, 08:17 PM
Post #2933

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 30 2020, 10:29 PM
Post #2934

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Aug 30 2020, 10:31 PM
Post #2935

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Congratulations. So inspiring. I am now on the same path. I picked up the Boxter S trans and all of the goodies last week for an LS and I think I am going LS3 like you.
Keep up the awesome work brother (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 31 2020, 05:53 AM
Post #2936

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
preach
post Aug 31 2020, 04:08 PM
Post #2937

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 31 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #2938

914 Guru

First post: Oct 17, 2016
Car moves under its own power: August 31, 2020

Just shy of 4 years. Sounds about right, eh?

So, BIG day for me and my car, as I'm sure you'll agree. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

But now the real fun begins: The clutch and throttle are both on/off switches.
I'm betting I can address the clutch via a smaller master cylinder. The throttle is likely related to a couple things:
- I discovered an incorrectly pinned IAC (Idle Air Controller) connector in the factory Holley engine harness (yes, me. A novice wiring guy. Holley now has a sticky post about it on their support site, not that I'm claiming I was the only person who let them know.) The engine was dyno'd with that incorrect pin out.
- It now idles at about 1400 RPM and doesn't want to settle quickly back to idle. Vacuum leak somewhere, too? In any case, the higher RPM idle increases the force trying to pull the throttle plates closed and REALLY increases the pressure needed on the throttle pedal. And once things start to open, the pedal is able to move a bit more freely so it's tough to be smooth coming off idle. The good news is, the thing has so much torque, it moves forward at idle, no problem! Or maybe that is a problem! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
And you can see it's rich at start up and right off idle. That may improve once it's warm but it seems like something that can be improved.

I've identified a highly recommended shop with a chassis dyno that does EFI tuning for drive-ability, vs the engine dyno work I had done to get the base tune for the ITBs.

Also, the brakes likely need another round of bleeding. Obviously, I haven't broken them in but they need more work.

Oh, and @Retroracer Tony, in the light of day, it may not be too loud, after all. At least not creeping up the driveway at idle... Maybe it was the excitement of the first start? The acoustics in front of the shop? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So there you go. It's "running and driving"! Yes, I know, not really but come on. And be honest, who here thought this project would never see the light of day? (besides me!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

And HUGE THANKS for all your encouragement getting me to this point.
More to come as I approach full blown road worthiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5KY0JQwTO8
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Aug 31 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #2939

Member No.: 20,897

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Aug 31 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #2940

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327

First off, Lori is incredibly brave to shoot that video. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Second, based just on the sound of the Beast, I'm not going outside until it's safe.

Congrats Chris on getting this far. It's been fun to follow along.

Throttle control will be the key to a long life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

232 Pages V « < 145 146 147 148 149 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 08:50 AM