Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 146 147 148 149 150 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tazz9924
post Aug 31 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #2941

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

Congrats! who knew art could roll!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 31 2020, 09:08 PM
Post #2942

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

What a long road Chris - way to stick with it, pal!

Tony/Cracker
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 31 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #2943

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Love the build and glad to see you made it to this point, but...

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER press the gas pedal when starting an EFI car. Never ever!
In fact, give it a few seconds after startup to stabilize before pressing the pedal at all. The ECU is recording a baseline for air temp & pressure & stuff to calculate idle speed.

The Holley should be self learning after initial setup.

Also, pulling the key out only engages the steering lock - no electrical involved.

And if it hasn't been mentioned yet, the pump running for only a few seconds is normal. Part of EFI programming. I usually do a 3 second pause when turning the key from ON to START to build pressure, then the engine fires quickly. If it's been a few weeks I have to cycle a few time before I don't hear 'burps' in the tank.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 29 2020, 04:17 PM) *

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 31 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #2944

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

You did it! Congratulations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 1 2020, 12:26 AM
Post #2945

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Awesome!! Sounds great from here!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 31 2020, 11:27 PM) *

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER press the gas pedal when starting an EFI car. Never ever!
In fact, give it a few seconds after startup to stabilize before pressing the pedal at all. The ECU is recording a baseline for air temp & pressure & stuff to calculate idle speed.

The Holley should be self learning after initial setup.

Please clarify? No aftermarket ECU I know of has control logic like that...those doing barometric correction from MAP sensor take a baseline measurement between key on and crank usually. Totally agree you shouldn't need any pedal to start, but it's not because there is some calculation happening.

High idle speed may be by design until warm.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 1 2020, 06:01 AM
Post #2946

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is so exciting. I am sure you will have the brakes, throttle, etc., dialed in in no time. Congratulations on a major milestone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 1 2020, 06:31 AM
Post #2947

Member No.: 13,287

Congrats... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Remember the feeling of driving mine for the first time in 20+ years.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 1 2020, 07:37 AM
Post #2948

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Awesome!!!! HUGE congrats!!!!!

Maybe a cam lever for the throttle?

Clutch being an on/off switch is kinda normal for big power clutches.

Exhausts and fresh engines are typically really loud when first started. Mine was also incredibly loud, but was running lean. Also cold starts are always loud.

It sounds fine in the video I think you'll get used to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 1 2020, 08:02 AM
Post #2949

Advanced Member

[quote name='Andyrew' post='2847625' date='Sep 1 2020, 09:37 AM']

It is not a big clutch, actually...its the MC I spec'd out and run in my car. It didn't occur to me that Chris isn't needing a short throw for quick shifting and/or the accompanying pedal effort would be an issue. Changes are in the werks...

Exhausts and fresh engines are typically really loud when first started. Mine was also incredibly loud, but was running lean. Also cold starts are always loud.

Umm, that engine IS broken in...completely! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 1 2020, 08:20 AM
Post #2950

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

[quote name='Cracker' date='Sep 1 2020, 07:02 AM' post='2847633']
[quote name='Andyrew' post='2847625' date='Sep 1 2020, 09:37 AM']

It is not a big clutch, actually...its the MC I spec'd out and run in my car. It didn't occur to me that Chris isn't needing a short throw for quick shifting and/or the accompanying pedal effort would be an issue. Changes are in the werks...

Umm, that engine IS broken in...completely! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
[/quote]
Ah that's right it was your old race engine.. still it'll tame itself down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) at least in his head (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
preach
post Sep 1 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #2951

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513

Congrats Chris!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 1 2020, 09:19 AM
Post #2952

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Congrats Chris! It sounds great. Also nice work on the wiring. If you haven't been through it there is no way to describe how mind-bending it is.

PS don't you wish the Speedhut gauge needles would park themselves at "0" when powered off like stock gauges rather than freezing where they are when you turn the key off? That's my ONLY minor complaint.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 1 2020, 09:30 AM
Post #2953

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

@Chris914n6 @jd74914 Thanks for the comments. Before we get too far into things, let me say that the ECU is running the tune that it got when it was on the engine dyno with the incorrectly wired IAC connector. See the "first drive" post for details about that. And I doubt there was any time spent even trying to tune off-idle behavior.

I happily confess haven't even connected my laptop to the ECU so I don't know if it's in learn mode or not.

In terms of my approach to this: After all the "first time" work I'd done creating that engine harness, fabbing the fuel lines and water lines, etc, I just wanted to prove out that the engine would run and nothing leaked or burst into flames! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

With that part complete, I couldn't resist the 100 yard "drive"!

Now it's on to making it "work". That means focus on the tune. Today I hope to get the software loaded and my laptop connected to the ECU. First thing is to download the currently loaded tune and see what's what.

I started this build with hardly any fabrication experience and I'm happy with how my skills progressed and the results I'm getting. Now it's time to do the same with the electrical and software stuff!

I'm sure I'll be asking for help so please keep the comments coming. Thanks much!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 1 2020, 09:45 AM
Post #2954

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Oh, and now that it does run, many of the "what ifs" have left my head. We all know that nature abhors a vacuum so I suddenly find myself thinking about the hardest decision yet:

Which color do I paint it?

I'm a fan of blue and I'm going around on: the car's factory color (Anacona Blue Metallic), something more modern (early 2000s Subaru WRX blue) or something simple like Oslo blue.

Then there're things like Aventurine Green from the current Porsche palette. It looks GREAT with gold wheels, but so do any of the aforementioned blues...

Decisions, decisions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Well, I have a while before I need to decide.
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Sep 1 2020, 11:46 AM
Post #2955

Member No.: 20,051

Congratulations on the first drive! That's awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Regarding color, one of my personal favorites is gulf theme especially on a GT car. Though I may be biased since that's the combo of my Squareback and 914 colors (blue VW and orange Porsche so combined they must be even better right??) Of course you'll always be driving too fast for anyone to see what color it is anyways so who cares! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 1 2020, 08:45 AM) *

Oh, and now that it does run, many of the "what ifs" have left my head. We all know that nature abhors a vacuum so I suddenly find myself thinking about the hardest decision yet:

Which color do I paint it?

I'm a fan of blue and I'm going around on: the car's factory color (Anacona Blue Metallic), something more modern (early 2000s Subaru WRX blue) or something simple like Oslo blue.

Then there're things like Aventurine Green from the current Porsche palette. It looks GREAT with gold wheels, but so do any of the aforementioned blues...

Decisions, decisions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Well, I have a while before I need to decide.

+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 1 2020, 12:18 PM
Post #2956

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 1 2020, 06:37 AM) *

Maybe a cam lever for the throttle?

Chris,

A throttle cam can be profiled to any number of shapes and/or engagement schemes. Slow tip-in helps an awful lot to getting throttles to make initial movement. I did notice an odd appearing linkage angle on your throttle pedal that might be a source of undesired lever ratios. I don't know, but it might be worth a look.

My clutch engagement is very much like an on-off switch as well. I played with hydraulic ratios, but it never seemed to make much difference, though I suppose it depends on how far from optimum one might be. Over-travel can damage the pressure plate, so it would be helpful to know the finger travel to dis-engage. I'm using a QuarterMaster 8 1/2" bronze/ceramic disc. It's very abrupt, and takes some choreography to get a smooth launch. Must admit, it is annoying on the street. On my next teardown, I'm going to consider switching over to a KEP clutch setup, and since I'm running a stock LS1, I will opt for a disc that has a Marcel spring to make it street friendly.

Congrats on your first drive!

Andys
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Sep 1 2020, 02:24 PM
Post #2957

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I like the factory color on your car.
+Quote Post
preach
post Sep 1 2020, 06:13 PM
Post #2958

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513

That (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) gold special 930 gold...
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 2 2020, 05:46 AM
Post #2959

Advanced Member

Liquid Blue (Ford GT). Just a thought...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.clubcobra.com-11316-1599047205.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 2 2020, 06:03 AM
Post #2960

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) That is the best picture I have seen of that car, camera location and shot perspective is spot on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Now get sorting, you got this!
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 146 147 148 149 150 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: GS Guy

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:07 AM