Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 149 150 151 152 153 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
BuddyV
post Sep 14 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #3001

Robert

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,898
Region Association: Northern California

Great job, Chris!!!!!!!

That must have been a thrill

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Sep 14 2020, 10:19 PM
Post #3002

Member No.: 20,897

Well Done Chris! Happy Teener Day!!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 15 2020, 12:01 AM
Post #3003

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
808 WRX
post Sep 15 2020, 12:28 AM
Post #3004

Member No.: 24,349

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Sep 15 2020, 01:22 AM
Post #3005

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congrats!!

It has been a great pleasure following your journey so far. Your skills and dedication are an inspiration.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 15 2020, 05:53 AM
Post #3006

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Congratulations Chris. That is just awesome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 15 2020, 08:00 AM
Post #3007

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Whooo! Congrats Chris! Are you able to log and send to your tuner for reviews and tweaking?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 15 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #3008

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 15 2020, 07:00 AM) *

Whooo! Congrats Chris! Are you able to log and send to your tuner for reviews and tweaking?

@Andyrew - Well, you asked so I'll take that as permission to get into the detail:

While I'm OK "learning as I go / give it a try" on most things, with the ITBs, I'm opting to hand the car over to an expert - here's why:

Turns out that during the initial dyno run, there was a mis-pinned IAC connector in the factory Holley harness (I mentioned this in an earlier post) AND the tech loosened the butterfly shafts and disconnected the throttle return springs on four of the ITBs. I will say, the throttle was VERY stiff but...

In conversation with Borla and the tuner they recommended, I was told that the ITB build process includes heat cycling the complete assembly and rechecking that everything remains in spec. Yes, that means my ITBs MAY need to be pulled and sent back to the factory for checking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The LS pulls a ton of air and without all the return springs, the butterflies weren't fully closing, making it impossible to get a reliable idle. I talked with the tuner yesterday and he said to go ahead and get all the return springs back on. I did that and magically, the car comes back to a sub-1000 RPM idle. That said, it's clear the tune is still WAY off.

The other thing that was way off was how they'd adjusted the throttle linkage at the capstan. It looks like they were after geometry that gave them leverage over the springs, vs one that gave a progressive off-idle pedal. I took a swing at adjusting the linkage and it made a HUGE improvement. Do I have a future as a tuner? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

The car is being delivered to the tuner on Monday, Sept 21.

I asked him if he wanted me to send any data ahead of time and he said that given what we now know, it's really not worth it as he'll want to start from scratch.

Next time I do an engine swap, I think I'll use a Briggs & Straton 5 hp. That there is some tech I can master...
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 15 2020, 09:34 AM
Post #3009

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 15 2020, 10:22 AM) *

In conversation with Borla and the tuner they recommended, I was told that the ITB build process includes heat cycling the complete assembly and rechecking that everything remains in spec. Yes, that means my ITBs MAY need to be pulled and sent back to the factory for checking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Seriously? That's absurd. I've never heard of anything like that before. Too bad you can't get DBW ITBs and program the relationship between pedal and throttle position to your liking.

At least they look cool!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Sep 15 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #3010

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 14 2020, 01:49 PM) *

Mission 914 on 9/14 accomplished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I drove the car around the block, maybe just over a mile. Sorry, no video as I was flying solo and was otherwise occupied with the plethora of things one tries to watch and listen for on a "first time out".

I got the car into 4th gear, just to shift it a bit and that all went to plan.
The induction system is another matter. It's in serious need of tuning. Poor, poor drive-ability, backfires, etc.
I won't go into what I discovered already but I'm confident that once it's tuned by an expert, it'll be good to go. I'm trying to get the appt in the next couple weeks.

Until then, I did officially drive it on 914 day so hooray for me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

For now, it's back to the still-outstanding fab work and assembly of minor items.

More once it's back from the tuner. That's when the real fun should begin.

This may be goofy, but…this post made me smile on a morning I could use one. Congrats, Chris—the weight and alignment are both superb results! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

And I can already see this car is gonna be a looker. Love your development arc, and glad you are going to sort the car before painting it. You'll find your true north on the visuals as you live with it a bit...
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 15 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #3011

914 Guru

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 15 2020, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 15 2020, 10:22 AM) *

Seriously? That's absurd. I've never heard of anything like that before. Too bad you can't get DBW ITBs and program the relationship between pedal and throttle position to your liking.

At least they look cool!

@jd74914 - There are DBW ITBs out there. If I didn't already have these, I'd be looking at them. The tuner did mention that the model ITBs I have are the "new" style. It's the previous version that are sensitive to being messed with. I think he was just being cautious, given he's not seen things in person and has no idea what they've been through.
To your point that they look cool: They certainly do. Better than that, the tuner said I should expect them to be totally daily drive usable, in the same way the stock intake is.
If that turns out not to be the case, off they'll come and I'll use something else.

I told you guys I was going to be totally transparent with this whole build, including the challenging stuff, the successes AND failures. Having spent a LOT of $ on the initial dyno work, this is quite disappointing.
But then, I don't think I've ever heard of a build where something(s) don't go off the rails.

I met the "drive my 914 0n 9/14" goal and the next one is that my car is an "active participant" at the Nov WCR. Wish me luck!
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Sep 15 2020, 10:13 AM
Post #3012

Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 14 2020, 04:49 PM) *

Mission 914 on 9/14 accomplished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Ahh! That's so exciting and must be an amazing feeling. Congrats, hopefully joining you soon.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 15 2020, 11:08 AM
Post #3013

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 15 2020, 08:22 AM) *

The car is being delivered to the tuner on Monday, Sept 21.

I asked him if he wanted me to send any data ahead of time and he said that given what we now know, it's really not worth it as he'll want to start from scratch.

Next time I do an engine swap, I think I'll use a Briggs & Straton 5 hp. That there is some tech I can master...

If anything, thats quick progress! Is he anticipating having it for a week? Does he have a rolling dyno or is he going to street tune it?

Also when is paint!!!!
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Sep 15 2020, 11:36 AM
Post #3014

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

[/quote]
I met the "drive my 914 0n 9/14" goal and the next one is that my car is an "active participant" at the Nov WCR. Wish me luck!
[/quote]

Congratulations!!! I signed up for the WCR with the hope I would see you driving the car. Looking forward to it. As always, your build is impressive and I feel like I learn something every time I catch up on this thread. Next to you I feel like an oil change tech at a Jiffy Lube!!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 15 2020, 01:12 PM
Post #3015

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 15 2020, 01:29 PM
Post #3016

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 15 2020, 10:08 AM) *

If anything, thats quick progress! Is he anticipating having it for a week? Does he have a rolling dyno or is he going to street tune it?

Also when is paint!!!!

@Andyrew
The tuner said he wants it for a couple days, but that may change, depending on what it needs. I can't imagine it'll be much more than that.

The place I'm using is Autotrend EFI. They have an impressive portfolio: stuff like EFI system design and tuning for Brizio Street Rods' builds, Great 8 award winners, etc.

Dave, the owner, was recommended by Borla as the best so I'm trusting he can get me there.

http://autotrendefi.com/index.html

I want to do WCR, as well as drive the thing for a bit and prove out I really am done with fabrication, hole drilling and have all the needed welding completed, etc. With a bit of luck, that'll happen end of November-ish. Then it's strip it back to the bare chassis and send it off for prep and paint.

I hope to have it back on the road Spring 2021. Of course, then it'll be for sale... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 15 2020, 01:50 PM
Post #3017

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 15 2020, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 15 2020, 10:08 AM) *

Also when is paint!!!!

@Andyrew
The tuner said he wants it for a couple days, but that may change, depending on what it needs. I can't imagine it'll be much more than that.

The place I'm using is Autotrend EFI. They have an impressive portfolio: stuff like EFI system design and tuning for Brizio Street Rods' builds, Great 8 award winners, etc.

Dave, the owner, was recommended by Borla as the best so I'm trusting he can get me there.

http://autotrendefi.com/index.html

I want to do WCR, as well as drive the thing for a bit and prove out I really am done with fabrication, hole drilling and have all the needed welding completed, etc. With a bit of luck, that'll happen end of November-ish. Then it's strip it back to the bare chassis and send it off for prep and paint.

I hope to have it back on the road Spring 2021. Of course, then it'll be for sale... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

That looks like a really good shop! Front page is full of ITB's so looks like your in good hands!

Cant wait to see it soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Im itching to get back out to the Red Barn!

I forgot you mentioned your were going to sell it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 15 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #3018

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

More of a journey and not the destination kind of a thing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Army Roger
post Sep 15 2020, 02:57 PM
Post #3019

Member No.: 24,695
Region Association: Germany

And I thought my fabrication skills were good. I'm humbly going to bed now. Very impressive.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 20 2020, 05:11 PM
Post #3020

914 Guru

Ready for tomorrow morning's trip to the tuner. With a bit of luck and tuner skill, I expect I'll be making the first, full road test by next weekend. The goal is to have it dialed in and ready for WCR in Nov.

And just to set expectations, that'll be with the windshield taped in, the roof taped on, no seals/weatherstripping, no interior, etc., etc.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 149 150 151 152 153 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:51 AM