Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 152 153 154 155 156 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 13 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #3061

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 30 2020, 10:53 AM) *

Dig the cutters, and particularly the five- or six-blade idea, but the baddest 914 muffler of all—in both aesthetics and noises—remains the one used to win Le Mans. A lot of the aftermarket sport mufflers out there (including the Dansk 57mm on my car) are close but no cigar when it comes to the detailing...

Looks a lot better fresh and new Pete ! We're reconditioning the LM muffler and finishing it in grey Cerakote including megs and new set of MSDS gt headers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 16 2020, 11:13 AM
Post #3062

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

The rebuilt throttle bodies will be here next week. That should address the hanging idle issue.
On the "abrupt throttle response at tip in", I found this part from EFI Hardware out of Australia. It has a far more progressive cam profile than the stock one. Fingers crossed that between this and some adjustment at the pedal, I'll have a softer throttle.

I should be back on the road and doing more development by mid next week.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 22 2020, 05:59 PM
Post #3063

914 Guru

The throttle bodies are back and part way installed. Turns out the new linkage cam will require a different set of throttle cable ends so I've ordered the needed items.
In the meantime, I decided I wanted a version of the access panel that didn't require the carbon inserts. So I cut and pressed a new set of panel pieces.
I took some time to tune up the stamping dies and got a really nice result. Now to weld up the seams...

And there's virtually no way my car will be ready for WCR but attendees are welcome to come by the Red Barn to see it, if that's of any interest. I'm about 3 miles from the Motel. And I have beer... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 23 2020, 06:34 AM
Post #3064

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Looking forward to seeing the progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DANNYMAC
post Oct 23 2020, 01:02 PM
Post #3065

Member No.: 24,470
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 23 2020, 07:34 AM) *

Looking forward to seeing the progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

DAMN ! Hundreds of pages, took me Hours to get through the entire build ! You basically built a car from the ground up, scratch... Not much 914 left (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
DANNYMAC
post Oct 23 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #3066

Member No.: 24,470

QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 23 2020, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 23 2020, 07:34 AM) *

DAMN ! Hundreds of pages, took me Hours to get through the entire build ! You basically built a car from the ground up, scratch... Not much 914 left (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Awesome Build ! You are the Man !
+Quote Post
djway
post Oct 23 2020, 01:27 PM
Post #3067

Member No.: 19,266

Sweet fabrication
Thanks for the FIX Man
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 24 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #3068

914 Guru

- Throttle bodies factory refreshed with all return spring correctly installed? Check!
- New bell crank/capstan with (hopefully) improved, more progressive off-idle throttle response? Check!
- Updated throttle cable needed to work with the zippidy do-dah capstan? Nope, those parts won't be here until next week...

Well, that doesn't stop me from firing it up. And fire up it does. Same tune as before and notice that with all the return springs in place, it settles right back to idle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Given the current tune was set to try and compensate for what neither the tuner nor I understood about the messed up return springs and how that was driving the hanging idle issue, I'm confident this thing will be even more snappy, once it's fully dialed in.

So, there is a WAAAAY outside chance it'll be able to make a very brief appearance at WCR. Fingers crossed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yQt_Zrzpg
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Oct 24 2020, 05:41 PM
Post #3069

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 24 2020, 04:28 PM) *

So, there is a WAAAAY outside chance it'll be able to make a very brief appearance at WCR. Fingers crossed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yQt_Zrzpg

Yep, I want to hear this. See this. Experience this.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 25 2020, 12:55 AM
Post #3070

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 25 2020, 06:46 AM
Post #3071

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Fingers crossed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 25 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #3072

914 Guru

I should know better than to get near my car when waiting for parts - I seem always to find something to re-do. Going in, I just KNOW it's bound to be an improvement! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Today as I was looking at the access panel I was about to redo for the 3rd time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) , it struck me that instead of welding the panels together, I could rivet them.

That should (?) leave me with a more cohesive look, IMO, given all the other rivet lines in the interior. Remember, the top panel of the console will be riveted on and using rivets on the access cover will carry the look right up to the rivet line at the top of the firewall.

Back to CAD, then cut and stamp new side panels! I extended them enough to be able to radius bend them and end up with a return to which the front panel will be riveted. Forgive my drawn on rivets, I just wanted to get a feel for the look.

I think I'll put a step in the returns so the front panel sits flush vs one panel thickness proud, as in this pic. Still some trimming and fitting to do, but you get the idea.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Oct 25 2020, 08:58 PM
Post #3073

Dig It
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 26 2020, 07:44 AM
Post #3074

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 25 2020, 04:30 PM) *

I should know better than to get near my car when waiting for parts - I seem always to find something to re-do. Going in, I just KNOW it's bound to be an improvement! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Today as I was looking at the access panel I was about to redo for the 3rd time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) , it struck me that instead of welding the panels together, I could rivet them.

That should (?) leave me with a more cohesive look, IMO, given all the other rivet lines in the interior. Remember, the top panel of the console will be riveted on and using rivets on the access cover will carry the look right up to the rivet line at the top of the firewall.

Back to CAD, then cut and stamp new side panels! I extended them enough to be able to radius bend them and end up with a return to which the front panel will be riveted. Forgive my drawn on rivets, I just wanted to get a feel for the look.

I think I'll put a step in the returns so the front panel sits flush vs one panel thickness proud, as in this pic. Still some trimming and fitting to do, but you get the idea.

You could just leave cletco's on there as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 26 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #3075

914 Guru

I used the bead roller to add the step then notched the corners so the center panel ends up in the proper plane. The second pic show sorta how the panels come together.

Once I step and notch the other side, I need to narrow up the center panel to fit. Ideally, it'll still look OK in terms of the width from the outside edge to where the stamped recess starts.

If not, I'll need to remake the center panel stamping dies and make a new center panel that accounts for the amount trimmed off... But I think I do like this look.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 26 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #3076

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 26 2020, 06:44 AM) *

You could just leave cletco's on there as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

With the center panel trimmed to fit, it was time to be sure @Andyrew was granted his request! ClecoBoy is back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 26 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #3077

914 Guru

It's good to have options. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

- The one on the left is a pure temporary that I can run while doing all the "get it running and driving" stuff. It'll never be worked to any higher finish.

- The middle one will be finished, painted and have the carbon inserts bonded into the openings. This will be the "fancy" one.

- The one on the right? I'll use panel bond, same as I did on the other fire wall panels. It'll then be painted and get the same structural rivets as the rest of the fire wall.

Now what can I re-do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Oct 26 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #3078

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 27 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #3079

Spooling.... Please wait

Im getting a Predator vibe from the Cleco version. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
djway
post Oct 27 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #3080

The Clecos give it a Steam Punk vibe
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 152 153 154 155 156 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:32 AM