Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

232 Pages V « < 161 162 163 164 165 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Nov 28 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #3241

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

@Rand - sorta like on the left?
It was one of the minor design changes I mentioned I wanted to make... Great minds? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 28 2020, 06:31 PM
Post #3242

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

You are on it already! But as narrow as they are, it doesn't even need to be as complicated as a curve on that part, just match the angle with a straight cut like the right.

Always admiring your work!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 28 2020, 06:44 PM
Post #3243

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 28 2020, 04:11 PM) *

I almost commented earlier but didn't figure my input mattered. However, since you brought it up....

Notice the curve of the front. And the curve at the top. (of the hood)
I think the curve in the middle should be a variance on that curve. The hood has curves at top and bottom, so I think you should average in between. The design is already there for you to work with!

Really liking this, and it hits what was bugging me before: the arbitrary angles.

This setup looks like it references the lines of the backs of the headlights, which makes it look like it belongs there. See Rand's point, too, but not sure what's more important to pick up—the back of the headlight (closer) or the curve at the back of the hood (farther).
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 28 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #3244

Cross Member

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 28 2020, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 28 2020, 04:11 PM) *

I almost commented earlier but didn't figure my input mattered. However, since you brought it up....

Notice the curve of the front. And the curve at the top. (of the hood)
I think the curve in the middle should be a variance on that curve. The hood has curves at top and bottom, so I think you should average in between. The design is already there for you to work with!

Really liking this, and it hits what was bugging me before: the arbitrary angles.

This setup looks like it references the lines of the backs of the headlights, which makes it look like it belongs there. See Rand's point, too, but not sure what's more important to pick up—the back of the headlight (closer) or the curve at the back of the hood (farther).

The average inbetween! (that's what I meant by average/variance with the front if it wasn't clear) We are all right / er, correct (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 28 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #3245

914 Guru

@Rand @horizontally-opposed Maybe it's just me but "it looks different in real life".
The current version's upper and lower edges match the headlight cut outs. It looks pretty good (in real life) but depending on where you stand when you look at it, that top edge can feel too straight, regardless of its angle.
You're more than welcome to come by and give it a look-see.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be a few more test versions made before I make a final decision.

Plus, I got some actual yarn! So I'll do a "flow test" on this newest version in the next couple of days.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 28 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #3246

Cross Member

Some of the earlier photos showed a strong angle, that we commented on. We know you'll do it right.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Nov 29 2020, 01:26 AM
Post #3247

Member No.: 11,762

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 29 2020, 01:29 AM) *

Earlier I'd mentioned I wanted to try a "straight across" version. Here's the first attempt at the design. I need to update a couple minor things but my first impression is that I kinda like it.

I kinda like it too. The angled vents looked good in isolation but somehow didn't quite work with the rest of the bonnet/headlight.

Can I suggest another variation to the 'straight across' - how about if the vanes got progressively shallower from front to back i.e. keep the front one the same as now and then gradually reduce them in height until the rear most one is say only half an inch high. Or do it the other way round - small at the front, taller at the back ?
I'd do a sketch but you'd cut the metal and be on the road faster than I can sharpen my pencil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 29 2020, 03:27 AM
Post #3248

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I have a strong feeling this design will flow significantly more.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 29 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #3249

914 Guru

The latest updates:
First is the "straight across with a curved top". If you compare this to that last CAD screen grab, you'll notice I ended up lengthening the outer vertical edge. I wanted to make the curve at the top more noticeable. BTW, the radius of that curve is? You guessed it: 91.4"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I think if I allowed the top edge frame to grow wider as it curves (vs that straight edge) as it moves outward, it might look a little better. Something to play with, at least.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 29 2020, 06:50 PM
Post #3250

914 Guru

Then came the newest "Shortened 45 degree with curved top".

I made both versions then headed off to start celebrating my lovely wife's "BirthWeek"!

For sure that's far more important than any car stuff, but it means I didn't really look at either of them on the car, beyond taking these pics. I'll need some time with them before any next move but my initial reaction is that the straight one gives the car a more "refined" feel vs the 45s "tough guy" look.

I like them both and may just build two hoods and swap them onto the car to suit my mood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

This vent work continues to be a really fun effort. Forget "process of elimination". With me it seems to be "process of evolution", as evidenced by that pile of, oh, let's call them "trial vents" in the background of the last pic. Oh, plus the two randomly sitting on the hood, and some that aren't in the pic... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Whatever it is, I'm enjoying it and feel like I'm getting close. I will say that having tried to turn @Retroracer Tony's sketch into a real part? I now fully understand when there's some really cool design element on a show car and it's pointed out "well, that'll NEVER make it into production...", there's a REALLY good reason why! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Nov 29 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #3251

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My $.02 worth. If your goal is evacuating hot air from the frunk but you're not expecting to need extreme measures, then why not try picking up on the narrow openings in the cowl vent? The ribs closer together could give a more finished look and you may not need the canted vanes to move enough air for the purpose. There are a lot of variations available, including a few canted vanes into the mix.

BTW, do you ever feel like the peanut gallery is just jerking around a cat toy on a stick..........and you're the cat? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Nov 29 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #3252

Robert

Member No.: 3,898

I prefer the angled option.

the "straight" version looks a lot like something I see on an appliance . Or venting for a garage.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 30 2020, 07:48 AM
Post #3253

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I am now in the paralysis by analysis phase. I like the angled vents more but think the venting needs to be finer or smaller gaps. Regardless of our thoughts, I know Chris has a great eye for this stuff and it will not only be functional but it will look bitchin' too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Nov 30 2020, 10:03 AM
Post #3254

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I like the straight vents better but I think they should start straight and then each vent should curve a little more until the last vent matches the curve on the back edge.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Nov 30 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #3255

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Chris, you nailed it earlier: You have to spend some time with these, and let them sit. You'll know what you like.

It's a tricky one, and the first time I've seen hood vents done to a high level besides the usual open rectangle in the middle of the hood (which I do like…for race cars).

As always, very into your craft…
+Quote Post
porsha916
post Nov 30 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #3256

Member No.: 2,137

incredible build !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Learned things that I apply to my future Builds!
Thanks!!!
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 30 2020, 04:46 PM
Post #3257

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Chris,

Perhaps you could extend the panel back a few inches, and angle the inside edge so as to avoid such wide and abrupt trailing edge? It might give the rear edge a more finished look. I think you've still got some room before running into the bulkhead to do so. I think a similar concept was posted somewhere here on 914WORLD before.
Just a thought, FWIW.
BTW, good on you for your willingness to model several iterations to have a look-see and get a feel for how each one looks! Invaluable!
Andys
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 1 2020, 10:32 AM
Post #3258

914 Guru

After seeing the straight across version, my immediate reaction was, like @Cairo94507 Michael's, that the angled version needs more vents. As bold as those larger vents look, they seem a bit out of scale on the car.
And as @buddyv Robert mentioned, the straights have a bit too much of a "home floor heater vent" look. Well, at least this current version does, IMO.

So, how to proceed? Well, I'm going all in on ANGLES! Frankly, it's important to me that I do all I can to honor @Retroracer Tony's original design. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Plus, I think they fit the vibe of the build.

So, I spent a bit of time and worked up a new design. The key changes this time are:
- vents went from 45 to 60 degrees
- scaled the vents down to make room for a 7th vent (nature abhors even #s!)
- incorporated the "bend area" design from the straight version

IMO, this last point lends a more finished look to the final product. Compare the bend areas and you'll see that the current angle design is simply twisting a small area that I worry will crack at some point. The new approach leverages what I've seen on the commercially available vent products.

Not only does this seem a safer way to do the bend, it also means the upper edge of the vent moves outward, causing the top corner radii to finish proud of the inner edge of the frame. It just looks more "finished" to me.

Pics of the real one on the car in the next day or so. And if you're asking yourselves "when will this silliness end?", know that I'm wondering the same thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 1 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #3259

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hi @tygaboy , Chris - I like the scale of that much better as well as the changes in angle and shape. I am looking forward to seeing the actual vent on the hood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 1 2020, 01:08 PM
Post #3260

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

232 Pages V « < 161 162 163 164 165 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: MasterCylinder

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 09:38 PM