Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 169 170 171 172 173 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
Krieger
post Jan 15 2021, 07:24 PM
Post #3401

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Chris, how much are you paying him? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 20 2021, 06:19 PM
Post #3402

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

V2 exhaust system essentially done, complete with peek-a-boo of the end of the trans/muffler mount. Hopefully, Pete @horizontally-opposed will approve! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I still have some final welding to complete but it's drive-worthy so tomorrow, I'm back to prepping for the next trip to the tuner.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 20 2021, 06:21 PM
Post #3403

914 Guru

The new version of the muffler mount is more visible, but you sorta have to know to look for it. Yes, I know, there's finish welding to do on this piece.

And re: that other pic? Well, it wouldn't be a Tygaboy production with out multiple versions/test pieces...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 20 2021, 06:33 PM
Post #3404

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

I really enjoyed meeting you (briefly!) at the WCR in Petaluma, and your build is EPIC! One thing you might consider doing is beefing up your trans mount... see the carnage my Suby-powered engine caused to my chassis beginning on post #444 at Suby-engined rustoration. Your engine surely puts out more than my 302whp...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 20 2021, 06:58 PM
Post #3405

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 20 2021, 07:14 PM
Post #3406

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

That looks very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 20 2021, 07:18 PM
Post #3407

914 Guru

QUOTE(strawman @ Jan 20 2021, 04:33 PM) *

I really enjoyed meeting you (briefly!) at the WCR in Petaluma, and your build is EPIC! One thing you might consider doing is beefing up your trans mount... see the carnage my Suby-powered engine caused to my chassis beginning on post #444 at Suby-engined rustoration. Your engine surely puts out more than my 302whp...

@strawman - Good meeting you, too! Your build created quite a stir. Everyone was talking about how fast that thing is...
And yes, I've been noodling on that same cross-brace mod you did. Seeing the carnage on yours, I'm thinking I should get after that update sooner rather than later. Thanks for the poke!
+Quote Post
djway
post Jan 20 2021, 11:18 PM
Post #3408

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

So no crossover anymore? Is there a performance advantage?
Also you mentioned a while back using a manifold and a center mount TB. Can you elaborate more about that?
+Quote Post
cassmcentee
post Jan 21 2021, 05:53 AM
Post #3409

Member No.: 22,304

Crisp and Clean! That looks so good Chris!
Congrats
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2021, 06:28 PM
Post #3410

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) and a little bit of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Let's start with the "bad" news:
In testing out the new exhaust, I uncovered an issue I created that, surprisingly, went unnoticed not just by me, but by everyone who has heard the car run.

Turns out I had switched two of the coil connector harness plugs: # 6 and #8. This error was in play in each of the driving videos I've posted. I'm certainly not saying someone should have noticed, it's totally on me but, can you believe it?
Go back and watch those videos... And a few of you heard it run when you were at my shop during WCR.
I would have thought it'd have run like total crap. Note that I have a single O2 sensor that happens to be on the 1-3-5-7 header so the tune wasn't aware of the problem.

Now the good news:
With everything correctly connected, I took it out for another test drive.

HOLY.
MOTHER.
OF.
GOD.

This thing is now scary quick. Well, when it hooks up, anyway. I wasn't even hard on the gas, more rolling into it and it's breaking loose easily through 3rd. I decided not to try 4th.

Remember, this is still with a tune that isn't optimized for the new throttle bodies, throttle cam, correct firing order ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) ) or the new exhaust.

Am I happy? Yes. Am I a little afraid? Yes to that, too.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 21 2021, 07:37 PM
Post #3411

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Glad it was a simple fix and that it now runs the way it should. Better order some new tires because you will surely burn thru the ones it quickly. Cant'e wait until the next time I come up to see and hear it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2021, 07:38 PM
Post #3412

914 Guru

QUOTE(djway @ Jan 20 2021, 09:18 PM) *

So no crossover anymore? Is there a performance advantage?
Also you mentioned a while back using a manifold and a center mount TB. Can you elaborate more about that?

@djway - So the muffler I was using is actually designed to have both inputs on the same end, the outlets on the other, not one of each, as I'd installed it. Watch the video - that I should have watched before doing all that work!

Short version is that the cross over ended up pointing about 50% of the input tubes all but right toward each other. It was surely creating a ton of turbulence that couldn't possibly be helping.

When I fired the new system, there was a HUGE imbalance in the volume of air exiting each side. This was what clued me in to the fact that something on the 2-4-6-8 side wasn't right.

So yes, a BIG improvement! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Re: the center mount throttle body, that was a comment about how to get an LS in a 914 without cutting the trunk.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 21 2021, 07:42 PM
Post #3413

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 21 2021, 05:37 PM) *

Glad it was a simple fix and that it now runs the way it should. Better order some new tires because you will surely burn thru the ones it quickly. Cant'e wait until the next time I come up to see and hear it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

@Cairo94507 Michael - maybe I'll get used to it but it really is scary fast. It's BEGGING for an LSD, too. So that's likely going on the list of updates.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 21 2021, 07:50 PM
Post #3414

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The LSD should have been on the list from the start. OR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) AWD
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 21 2021, 09:16 PM
Post #3415

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Great bad news!!!!

I bet that thing FLYS!

I have a new toy that I think you'll like. Well have to get together soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 22 2021, 12:03 PM
Post #3416

Member No.: 8,624

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 21 2021, 04:28 PM) *

Am I happy? Yes. Am I a little afraid? Yes to that, too.

I feel you! Even after a couple thousand miles, my car still scares me -- but it never fails to give me a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) -eating grin. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear/see it. I'll definitely vouch for an LSD; the OBX helical gear setup in my Subaru transaxle is very streetable and hooks up when you want (need!) it to do so.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 22 2021, 12:49 PM
Post #3417

Spooling.... Please wait

I will say one thing about LSD vs Open diff.

With LSD you really have to be able to keep it straight when the tires are spinning and at some point you have way more wheel speed than road speed and thats what gets you in trouble. Your short ratio box helps prevent "Trouble" as it keeps your wheel speed relative...

An open diff you still have 3 tires on the ground maintaining traction, so swapping ends is a lot less frequent of a thing. Just something to consider, I know you'll put an LSD in it regardless. But my open diff stays straight pretty much 90% of the time when Im spinning.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 22 2021, 01:03 PM
Post #3418

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 22 2021, 10:49 AM) *

With LSD you really have to be able to keep it straight when the tires are spinning and at some point you have way more wheel speed than road speed and thats what gets you in trouble. Your short ratio box helps prevent "Trouble" as it keeps your wheel speed relative...

An open diff you still have 3 tires on the ground maintaining traction, so swapping ends is a lot less frequent of a thing. Just something to consider, I know you'll put an LSD in it regardless. But my open diff stays straight pretty much 90% of the time when Im spinning.

@Andyrew - I spoke with the tuner this morning and let him know about the swapped coil wires. He wasn't surprised that it didn't jump out as an issue and told me about an LS that came to him running with only one cylinder bank firing and that it still ran sorta OK. Weird. Anyway, the car heads back to him in a couple weeks. Weather aside, I should be able to get some actual miles on it at that point and I'll make next step decisions at that point. Plus, what fun is "going straight while spinning"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 22 2021, 01:25 PM
Post #3419

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 22 2021, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 22 2021, 10:49 AM) *

@Andyrew - I spoke with the tuner this morning and let him know about the swapped coil wires. He wasn't surprised that it didn't jump out as an issue and told me about an LS that came to him running with only one cylinder bank firing and that it still ran sorta OK. Weird. Anyway, the car heads back to him in a couple weeks. Weather aside, I should be able to get some actual miles on it at that point and I'll make next step decisions at that point. Plus, what fun is "going straight while spinning"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Its a lot more fun than backwards in a ditch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ask the previous owner of Dad's car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I can't wait to see it fully tuned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 22 2021, 01:50 PM
Post #3420

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Great news on the fixes and JUICE, Chris! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Sounds like you need an LSD and possibly R-compound rubber STAT. A good LSD should help you put the power down but also stabilize the rear end under braking. Be careful with factory LSDs, as some are known for wearing their way into open diffs, and quickly. Long been on my list for the next 901 rebuild, along with short 2-3-4, billet plate, and billet side cover. That isn't gonna be cheap… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 169 170 171 172 173 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: 914AutoX

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:32 PM