Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 188 189 190 191 192 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Nov 16 2021, 06:51 PM
Post #3781

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Still need to add the final "exhaust pipe-to-muffler" attachment system (2 tension springs per tube) but it's essentially done. And believe it or not, the overall lengths are within about 5" of each other.
Surprisingly, I like the asymmetric vibe of the whole thing. I wasn't sure I would.
In any case, this means that once the engine harness is done, I'll be back on the road!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 16 2021, 08:47 PM
Post #3782

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Those pipes look fantastic. Cant imagine the thinking and time consumed on routing. Can’t wait to hear it rumble. Nice one Chris.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Nov 16 2021, 11:39 PM
Post #3783

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

WOW, WOW, WOW! You make it look so easy and badass!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 19 2021, 06:46 PM
Post #3784

914 Guru

Today was adding the spring tabs and locator ring that helps seal where the tube enters the muffler. This was a ton of fun because on this one tube, the ring ends up right at the end of a bend. Which means the ring itself needs to be part of a bend, but a slightly different diameter. I don't even know how to explain how I was able to make it fit.

Suffice it to say, it was more complicated than I expected. But I'm happy with how it turned out. My TIG welding continues to improve and I'm finally feeling reasonably confident that (in most cases!) l can get a nice result.

With this updated exhaust fab work complete, the next step is sending it, along with the headers, off for ceramic coating. Oh, but which color will I do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 20 2021, 09:57 AM
Post #3785

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

ITB's all the way...all day long. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 2 2021, 07:11 PM) *

Before and after.

ITBs are cool, but overall? I'll take after.

+Quote Post
Morph914
post Nov 20 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #3786

Member No.: 20,326

Looks great Chris! I’ll trade you a bottle of wine for a ride next time I’m in Napa.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 21 2021, 12:18 PM
Post #3787

Advanced Member

Chris: Keep in mind; from a performance viewpoint, equal length bank to bank is the goal. Moving past aesthetics, it does not make sense if efficiency is part of your end goal. I realize how much work this all is but I believe you do care about logic as well. It is even more critical since you have chosen to merge both banks into a common muffler. JMO

Regarding the induction: The LS MAF likes a straight shot of clean unfettered air - 18" if possible - after the filter. I realize that is likely not the final rendition considering your induction swaps in-project - then again, when will this not be in-project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 16 2021, 07:43 PM) *

Final test fit before the final tack that locks things in place.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 21 2021, 06:18 PM
Post #3788

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 21 2021, 10:18 AM) *

Chris: Keep in mind; from a performance viewpoint, equal length bank to bank is the goal. Moving past aesthetics, it does not make sense if efficiency is part of your end goal. I realize how much work this all is but I believe you do care about logic as well. It is even more critical since you have chosen to merge both banks into a common muffler. JMO

Regarding the induction: The LS MAF likes a straight shot of clean unfettered air - 18" if possible - after the filter. I realize that is likely not the final rendition considering your induction swaps in-project - then again, when will this not be in-project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

@Cracker Tony - Agreed on the length but I'm not concerned about extracting every last HP. That said, if this set up turns out to be problematic in some measurable way, I'd certainly go after another revision.
And on the MAF, I don't need one. The Holley ECUs are speed density based and use MAP. It really frees me up to do virtually anything right up to attaching it to the throttle body.
+Quote Post
djway
post Nov 21 2021, 10:07 PM
Post #3789

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 21 2021, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 21 2021, 10:18 AM) *

@Cracker Tony - Agreed on the length but I'm not concerned about extracting every last HP. That said, if this set up turns out to be problematic in some measurable way, I'd certainly go after another revision.
And on the MAF, I don't need one. The Holley ECUs are speed density based and use MAP. It really frees me up to do virtually anything right up to attaching it to the throttle body.

It may actually tone it down from Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
to Holy Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
but I doubt it
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 22 2021, 07:35 AM
Post #3790

Advanced Member

You can NEVER have too much power but agree that will likely "tone it down"...regarding the MAF - not as precise as a MAF - we tried on that motor originally but it was best to go back to a MAF. Looking forward to seeing how it runs...!

Cracker

"It may actually tone it down from Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
to Holy Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
but I doubt it"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 2 2021, 07:30 PM
Post #3791

914 Guru

The headers and exhaust tubes are off being ceramic coated and should be back next week. In the meantime, I'm working on a couple ideas for the intake. Here's the first one:

To start, what are the odds I'd find a discontinued Y-tube with angles that essentially match the arbitrarily set angles of the X-brace?!?!? I tell ya, the universe WANTS me to make this intake! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Anyway, the design would be something like the pic that @RetroRacer Tony sketched for me a while back. The main difference is I'd transition from the 4" round to 2" tall oval tubes to get over the cross bar while staying under the trunk and engine lid.

It also may be that the 4" tubes are visually a bit "big". The pics make it look worse that it really is. So I may I slice them up and transition to 3" in that straight section. That's still plenty of air for the engine. I need to play with it and see what I like.

As always, the fun continues! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cali914
post Dec 2 2021, 11:17 PM
Post #3792

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 12 2021, 02:06 AM) *

man those half shaft angles look pretty steep. How are they holding up?
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 3 2021, 09:59 PM
Post #3793

That drawing brought on flashbacks from the movie The Wall
Looking cool
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 7 2021, 06:00 PM
Post #3794

914 Guru

Geez... Now what?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 10 2021, 07:03 PM
Post #3795

914 Guru

The rear "between the tail lights" panel was messed up in multiple ways: poorly repaired accident damage AND holes from a 911 reflector install. I have a really clean entire tail section I was planning to use as a replacement so I figured it couldn't hurt to see what I could come up in the eVENT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I opted to do something not stock.

A bit of body sawing and I have openings.

After making a few different versions (big surprise, eh?), I've narrowed it to these two. I'm leaning hard toward the angle-y one.

Yes, the panel will have some sort of grill in the openings and any visible inner structure will be painted black.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 10 2021, 07:12 PM
Post #3796

914 Guru

And you may have noticed the intake tube and the air cleaner in the left rear corner of the trunk. I'm working on multiple versions of the air cleaner set up. This one you see here - but with an air box around the air cleaner that...

... is open to a vent in the trunk lid!

Notice that while I have completed the intake tube and made the vent, I haven't yet cut the trunk lid. I'm still not quite sure if I like this design. Another option would be to have the air box connect to the openings in that rear tail light panel.

So.
Many.
Options.

I love working on my build... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 10 2021, 07:15 PM
Post #3797

914 Guru

Artsy pic that sorta shows how the hood vents are echoed in the trunk vents...

I feel compelled to say that the vents don't really "come to life" until the vanes are bent into position and they're mounted down into position.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Dec 10 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #3798

Member No.: 24,781

Nice welding
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 10 2021, 09:24 PM
Post #3799

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Maybe some cool intake snorkels?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 10 2021, 09:41 PM
Post #3800

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 10 2021, 05:12 PM) *

And you may have noticed the intake tube and the air cleaner in the left rear corner of the trunk. I'm working on multiple versions of the air cleaner set up. This one you see here - but with an air box around the air cleaner that...

... is open to a vent in the trunk lid!

Notice that while I have completed the intake tube and made the vent, I haven't yet cut the trunk lid. I'm still not quite sure if I like this design. Another option would be to have the air box connect to the openings in that rear tail light panel.

So.
Many.
Options.

I love working on my build... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Your intake has Pyrones.....
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 188 189 190 191 192 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:20 PM