Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
Curbandgutter
post Apr 27 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #381

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

Hey it's nice to see some progress. Love the Elephant Racing suspension. They have the best web site don't they. That thing should ride really nice. No clunks or squeaks. On another note, Zero progress on my build for this month. I went on vacation and after I came back it's been crazy busy. I've been working all weekends. Anyway nice to see some progress....even if it's just buying stuff.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 27 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #382

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I must say the buying stuff is the most instantly satisfying part.. When you open that box and see those shiny (or dirty) parts!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 10 2017, 07:45 AM
Post #383

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

3 months and no progress. Injury and other priorities... Enough of that! I'm back!

Here we go... I know that for some of you, this wiring stuff is nothing. That ain't the case for me.

For the most part, I've avoided thinking about this part of the build. Specifically because I have virtually no skills/experience with wiring. So, it's a bit intimidating looking at a two medium sized boxes full of the stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

For the main harness, I went with the Infinity Box 20 circuit with a couple upgrades. Current Performance supplied the stand-alone LS3 harness (set up for a reversed intake) and DBW throttle pedal.

With the arrival of this stuff, I have almost nothing left to purchase. What will I use for an excuse as to why this project isn't farther along? Oh yea, WCR prep! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Jun 10 2017, 07:53 AM
Post #384

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good Morning,

In the box it looks pretty daunting. Once you lay it out on the floor it will get easier.
This is what we use at RS to put the wires where we want them. They come in both a large and small size.

https://www.amazon.com/iExcell-100Pcs-Black...zip+tie+holders
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 10 2017, 08:08 AM
Post #385

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(cary @ Jun 10 2017, 06:53 AM) *

Good Morning,

In the box it looks pretty daunting. Once you lay it out on the floor it will get easier.
This is what we use at RS to put the wires where we want them. They come in both a large and small size.

https://www.amazon.com/iExcell-100Pcs-Black...zip+tie+holders

I used the same when I laid out my harness. Laid out a sheet of plywood and put the harness down. It was extremely daunting in my project as I had a full modern day wiring harness to deal with (actually 3 of them)
After figuring out what I needed to I labeled everything and pulled it off or left it on for storage.
+Quote Post
cary
post Jun 10 2017, 08:13 AM
Post #386

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

Are the wires all labeled ?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 10 2017, 08:14 AM
Post #387

914 Guru

^^
Cary, Andrew - Thanks for the encouragement...

What time can you be here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 10 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #388

914 Guru

QUOTE(cary @ Jun 10 2017, 07:13 AM) *

Are the wires all labeled ?

Looks like it. The Infinity Box box arrived last night and I just opened it. Haven't taken anything out of either box. The instructions look nice and complete.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 10 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #389

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking forward to see your progress the car is turning out very nice.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 10 2017, 08:53 AM
Post #390

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Nice stuff there, I looked at the Infinity Box products for my other car a few times. Had I only had 1 project car instead of 2 I might have pulled the trigger and bought it. Too bad about their name, they used to be iSiS , which I see they still have on a few products!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jun 10 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #391

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Well that looks familiar...the "40" has an iSiS system - still n the box - you will be a pro! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

T
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 10 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #392

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) w/ Andrew. The plywood layout is infinitely adjustable and cheap. But more important is the preservation of ones own sanity. Start with what's easy or apparent. Then move on to the more difficult items. Often you will find that daunting items reveal their secrets, bit by bit, when working on some of the simpler items. Lastly, you will (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) quite often. Get used to it but don't let it defeat you. Sometimes the answers will come at 2:30 AM, sometimes they come from this board or another, but they will come to you if you have the tenacity. When the moment arrives that you power her up for the first time you will be shitting in your shoes and thrilled at the same time. "Onward thru the Fog", Oat Willie.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 2 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #393

914 Guru

So it's been months since I worked on this project. WCR and yesterday's R Gruppe gathering have me back motivated. Plus, I've gotten (almost) caught up on various other commitments that have kept me from this effort. Anyway... back to it.

First, something totally unnecessary that will only distract, add complexity and additional time to the build... Sounds about right to me!

I've decided to vent the radiator through the fenders and NOT do a vent in the hood (at least for now) and I'd like to do something to help with the removal of hot air from under the fenders.

I just love the fender vents in the GT3 RS so I hung a crap glass flare on the front and started drawing. In the end, this will be added to the steel flares - again, this glass flare was just for idea mock up. I'm thinking an aluminum frame with mesh. Ideally, I'll relieve the opening in the fender so the frame sits flush with the fender.

This was totally free handed (like you can't tell!). I didn't measure anything so yes, the openings are all different heights. That'll get corrected in the final design.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 2 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #394

914 Guru

Then it was back to what I really need to complete next: the chassis.
I'm getting closer to what I think will be the final design/position of the front hoop. I want to get it ahead of the door opening. This looks like it'll require relocating the front hood latch release but that's not too big a deal.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Jul 3 2017, 01:13 AM
Post #395

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 2 2017, 03:44 PM) *

So it's been months since I worked on this project. WCR and yesterday's R Gruppe gathering have me back motivated. Plus, I've gotten (almost) caught up on various other commitments that have kept me from this effort. Anyway... back to it.

First, something totally unnecessary that will only distract, add complexity and additional time to the build... Sounds about right to me!

I've decided to vent the radiator through the fenders and NOT do a vent in the hood (at least for now) and I'd like to do something to help with the removal of hot air from under the fenders.

I just love the fender vents in the GT3 RS so I hung a crap glass flare on the front and started drawing. In the end, this will be added to the steel flares - again, this glass flare was just for idea mock up. I'm thinking an aluminum frame with mesh. Ideally, I'll relieve the opening in the fender so the frame sits flush with the fender.
Here's some more inspiration for you.
This was totally free handed (like you can't tell!). I didn't measure anything so yes, the openings are all different heights. That'll get corrected in the final design.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jul 3 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #396

Member No.: 15,637

I like what you are doing. At one time I was thinking of adding the GT3 louvers on the tops of the fenders but I am going to evacuate the air through the hood. I know that the guys that run the air through the inner fenders have the gas tank heating up from the hot radiator air.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 3 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #397

Spooling.... Please wait

So long as you duct the air from the radiator to the fenders there shouldnt be any reason why the fuel tank will heat up.

I like the idea of fender vents, I think the design needs some work unless your going for the mechanical look on the car. Cant quite think of a better design in my head though.... Maybe taper the bottom some more like the GT3?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 3 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #398

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Just a personal opinion, but on a 914 I wouldn't want the fancy vents. The stealth factor is what makes a 914 supercar so cool. Venting out the inside fenderwells has been proven to work. Out the top of the lid can make more sense for downforce, but to me, stealthy is cool. Nothing as cool as a monster sleeper.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 4 2017, 07:20 AM
Post #399

914 Guru

Andrew - Yep, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the design needs refinement. As is usual for me, I need to see it, change it, try it, change it again. This is V1 so it's destined to be updated. From an overall look/feel, "mechanical" is actually something I'm after so I'm tickled that's how you saw it.

Rand - I am TOTALLY with you on wanting it to be stealthy. But I've always thought that once you add GT flares, 914s lose most, if not all their stealth. I was toying with moving the whole side of the car out 2" to fake a narrow body look and still have some tire to deal with the LS power. That's what I'd really like... maybe in the future.

So for this build, I'm going with a look that will be clearly identifiable as a "hot rod". That also opens up some other design options I'm looking to include.

Keep the cards and letters coming. In agreement with my approach or not, your input helps me clarify my thinking!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jul 4 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #400

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

One thing for sure is we all have opinions, but your workmanship is stellar and whatever you do is going to be amazing. Speaks for itself. Keep it going and always express yourself! I always look forward to seeing your work.
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:34 AM