Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 07:33 AM
Post #441

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Here's the latest thinking on the chassis stiffening design.
1. It's a "race rod". This is a term I'm claiming defines a car that has elements of race car-ness but is clearly a "hot rod".
2. Given #1, above, I'm not trying to build something that will pass tech or be the stiffest ever (or even close) cage. I am after something that will be a big improvement over stock and help handle the motor.
3. Bonus points if it's a bit unique and makes me smile.

Initial mock up meets my criteria! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(note the tubes are not positioned exactly, exactly, but you get the idea...)

I'm going to plate the seat belt retractor area and land the angled bar top at that spot. On the back side, I'll remove the factory anchor bolt, plate that side and run a tube from there back to the suspension tower.

This saves me trying to fab a complex, multi-bend compound tube and eliminates having to deal with another hole in the firewall.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #442

914 Guru

Keeping with the race rod approach, I'm going to stay with the stock, 3-point retractable seat belt.

With the cage location, I need to move the seat belt retractor. I talked with Seat Belt Planet and they can add the needed length to the belt so I can relocate the retractor to the base of the firewall.

So long as the retractor mechanism is mounted in the same physical orientation as stock, I'm good to go.

The retractor is just sitting there, not attached. I still need to fab the mounting location but again, you get the idea.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 07:40 AM
Post #443

914 Guru

Mock up of the location for the shifter.

Feels like I'm making progress again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 07:56 AM
Post #444

914 Guru

I want to do some additional "triangluation" for the angled bar so I stated playing around with what a perforated panel might look like. This is the first hack/sketch so...

It'd echo the engine compartment panel design but I think this time I'd use 2 mirror image pieces and seam weld together the inner edges of the dimpled holes, making a hollow panel about 1/4" thick. Plenty strong.

And worst case, I can always use a tube to triangulate.

The saga continues.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Jul 26 2017, 08:08 AM
Post #445

Member No.: 14,397
Region Association: None

I like the plan. It will be way better than stock but still give you easy enough access. Good choice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #446

914 Guru

QUOTE(Dion @ Jul 16 2017, 07:03 PM) *

Chris I've nothing to add really but to say this is one damn cool build.
Enjoy your creativity and fabrication work.
Those seats are really cool.
Would individual style hoops work per seat. Styled like the Audi TT.
Just a thought. Have at it.

Dion - Great minds... I've bent up a pair of "roadster hoops" that are, for lack of a better description, 90 degree bars that run from the seat belt retractor location, behind the seats, right behind the head rest supports, then down, paralleling the shape of the seats. They form the rear-most part of the tunnel design. I'm just not sure I like it.

I'm trying to be sure I don't back myself into a corner with things like being able to create an access panel in the firewall, etc.

This build is really forcing me to think as many steps ahead as I possibly can.

The whole side-to-side bar is turning into a big challenge. I need as much room as I can get inside the car for seat adjustment and safety. And I need room in the engine compartment for the induction system I'm contemplating.
So it's not a slam dunk as to where it'll best fit or what design will work best. Then there's the whole "do I really even need it?" question.

But hey, if this stuff was easy, what fun would it be? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I'm really enjoying the challenge!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 26 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #447

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I really like the direction you are going...only one design element to consider (given your point #1 above). The horizontal bar over 4th he rocker does not have to be that high...not even close. Consider positioning it at 1/2 the current height or keep the rear height the same and taper it down to the front. Can you "mock" it up like this repost pictures? Looking great Chris!

T
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #448

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 26 2017, 07:22 AM) *

I really like the direction you are going...only one design element to consider (given your point #1 above). The horizontal bar over 4th he rocker does not have to be that high...not even close. Consider positioning it at 1/2 the current height or keep the rear height the same and taper it down to the front. Can you "mock" it up like this repost pictures? Looking great Chris!

T

Tony - Thanks for the encouraging words. I appreciate all comments and especially from those with experience. And as always, your wish, sir, is my command. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Obviously, I didn't have the correct length supports.

Looks wise? I happily admit, I really like it!

I think I'll bend up a new tube that runs all the way from the from to the back and see how that looks. It'll soften the look at the transition angle and better match the shape of the seat.

Now, if I could just convince Rudy to work up his math on the difference in stiffness between these two designs...! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
(seriously, though Rudy, that's impressive stuff to us who don't know a cosine from our elbow.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 26 2017, 09:17 AM
Post #449

Advanced Member

Double post...
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 26 2017, 09:19 AM
Post #450

Advanced Member

Hey Chris...have you ever thought about something like this??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Tony

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 09:25 AM
Post #451

914 Guru

And in the spirit of full disclosure:

I've said it before - mostly you see the end result in the pics, not the gaps in knowledge or experience, or the 'n' number of attempts at getting things to work out. So, it's only fair I pay tribute to those parts and pieces that sacrificed themselves to the cause. These are the latest examples of my learning as I go.

Put these in the "Don't" column:

- You can't expect a good result unless you have thought ahead and allowed for enough tube length so that the front part of the die doesn't run off the end of the tube and totally gack the part. (Yes, that is a rip in the tube...)

- given a particular radius die, there are limits to how close you can bend two radii. If you think you can outsmart physics and magically get them closer, you are wrong.

- as with all things in life, the facts are the facts and no amount of lube will make any difference.

I should start a website called "FabFail.com".

I'd be a regular contributor...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 26 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #452

Advanced Member

Much better Chris... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

If Patrick Motorsports would build a "race car" with such a cage (which I don't agree with btw) - it is perfectly fine for a "Race-Rod"! Regardless of the loss of stiffness... biggrin.gif

T

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #453

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cracker @ Jul 26 2017, 08:19 AM) *

Hey Chris...have you ever thought about something like this??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Tony

Attached Image

Which part(s)?
Dropped floor? right hand drive? the pedal box? a bolt in roll cage mount? orange? working on my build outside?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Jul 26 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #454

Advanced Member

LOL!

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 26 2017, 11:50 AM) *

Which part(s)?
Dropped floor? right hand drive? the pedal box? a bolt in roll cage mount? orange? working on my build outside?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #455

914 Guru

Hack in MS Paint V2.

Maybe like this. But the bend would be a bit larger radius.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 26 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #456

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jul 26 2017, 06:40 AM) *

Mock up of the location for the shifter.

Feels like I'm making progress again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Looks like the exact same location mine is in! I believe I tilted mine a hair as well, in practice I dont think that was necessary.

I like the door bars too, I've been contemplating seriously doing a hidden cage on my car and your door bar design has always been on the back of my mind
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jul 26 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #457

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

[/quote]
Now, if I could just convince Rudy to work up his math on the difference in stiffness between these two designs...! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
(seriously, though Rudy, that's impressive stuff to us who don't know a cosine from our elbow.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
[/quote]

No no no, no more calcs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) They are summarily disregarded based on anecdotal experience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) I'll play along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Anecdotally I can say that your current design delivers all of the loads to the weakest point in the long. Do your self a favor and tie your front hoop up to the strut tower. If you do that, then you're on to something. Alternatively, do one of your awesome gussets and tie that vertical front hoop bar into the vertical sheet metal area behind the A pillar. Otherwise, it's a very good looking design without adding much structural integrity to bending forces in the longs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) It does look really good though. Especially that gusset back to the firewall. My 0.02 $.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Jul 26 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #458

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

This is what I mean

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Jul 26 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #459

Member No.: 16,395
Region Association: None

You said race rod ...so in that spirt lose the gusset idea...does nothing but add weight....and even though the fabrication looks cool , it crosses the line of extraneous ....my opinion of course...but I am cursed with excellent taste (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).......
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #460

914 Guru

[quote name='Curbandgutter' date='Jul 26 2017, 02:29 PM' post='2510405']
[/quote]
[/quote]

No no no, no more calcs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) They are summarily disregarded based on anecdotal experience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) I'll play along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Anecdotally I can say that your current design delivers all of the loads to the weakest point in the long. Do your self a favor and tie your front hoop up to the strut tower. If you do that, then you're on to something. Alternatively, do one of your awesome gussets and tie that vertical front hoop bar into the vertical sheet metal area behind the A pillar. Otherwise, it's a very good looking design without adding much structural integrity to bending forces in the longs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) It does look really good though. Especially that gusset back to the firewall. My 0.02 $.
[/quote]

Rudy -
My explanations and execution are always behind the plans in my head.
Yes, I already had plans to tie the front hoop into the chassis, I was thinking the gussets would be a lot simpler to execute than tubes to the front towers but we'll see which I end up liking best. I am a slave to fashion, don'tcha know!

I also plan to tie the front hoop in as part of center tunnel/console. It will run to the front of the floor and up the inside of the front bulkhead. That should help add a bit more "twist resist".

Always appreciate your input, my friend!
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:14 PM