Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
Andyrew
post Aug 26 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #561

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Down 100%!

There has been a couple of events like that through the years.

Im SURE we can get lots of people interested.

THANKS!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 26 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #562

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Shocking news! Nearly impossible to believe: I changed my mind about the way I'm going to tie the cross bar into the suspension towers. I was going to construct a box around the whole area but upon reflection (and thinking about the earlier points about weight and complexity), I'm opting for something simple:

A tidy little gusset between the tower and cross bar, right in line with the main load path into the bar that runs to the fire wall.

I'm almost done with the fabrication and fitting of all the pieces needed for the chassis stiffening. Then it'll be a full day (or more) of welding to complete the install.

Much as I enjoy the roll bar fab stuff, I'm ready to move on a different area of the build.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 26 2017, 05:15 PM
Post #563

Spooling.... Please wait

I like it! That area really doesnt move near as much as some people think.

The lower trailing arm pickup moves significantly more.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 27 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #564

914 Guru

Final fitting of the passenger side door bar. I welded in the inside plate as I need to firmly fix the bar so I can get a repeatable location as I fit the verticals.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 27 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #565

914 Guru

Fore and aft verticals are trimmed to final size.

You can see that the mid vertical is sitting back, out of positon (the pad is positioned properly). I'm leaving the mid vertical trimming until the door bar is welded in. Why?
Having only two verticals will allow the bar to set into position and if the there's any welding distortion on the door bar (and I'd expect there to be some) I can tweak the mid vertical for the best possible fit.

We'll see how it goes as the welding actually commences.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 27 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #566

914 Guru

More pre-welding prep leads to the Pop Quiz of the day:

What's missing in this picture?

Well, OK, a whole bunch of stuff! So maybe not so fair a question.
Let's make it a bit easier:

I removed the mounts for the trunk lid springs! I won't be using them. And they're already hard enough to get to so I REALLY wanted them out before the rear chassis stiffening bars go in.

And no promises, but I have an idea that may require / allow for removal of the rear trunk hinges, too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Either way, I want as clean a look as I can get.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 27 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #567

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Looking good Chris! If you want to see a different way to open tour rear trunk check out my build thread under my signature. There are three photos on page 1. Total access. You could incorporate the engine lid and trunk lid as one piece...
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Aug 27 2017, 05:26 PM
Post #568

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Or come over and check it out.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 27 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #569

914 Guru

QUOTE(Krieger @ Aug 27 2017, 04:17 PM) *

Looking good Chris! If you want to see a different way to open tour rear trunk check out my build thread under my signature. There are three photos on page 1. Total access. You could incorporate the engine lid and trunk lid as one piece...

Andy - I noticed your trunk approach when I first read your build. I would like to come up and see it in person. I'll PM you to coordinate a visit.
That said, I'm noodling on at a different solution. But it sure would be nice to have something that results in a totally open drive line area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Talk soon.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 28 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #570

914 Guru

Bill B Racing (BBR Filers) filters showed up today. Recommended by Borla and apparently minimal HP loss. They certainly look the business and fit perfectly.

Not as cool looking sitting on my office floor vs on the engine, but I want to keep the delicate stuff safe while all the fab work is going on.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 29 2017, 04:59 AM
Post #571

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

They look good but nothing looks better them naked...I thought you were building a "special" box for those. Change your mind?

T
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 29 2017, 07:44 AM
Post #572

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 29 2017, 03:59 AM) *

They look good but nothing looks better them naked...I thought you were building a "special" box for those. Change your mind?

T

Not so much change my mind as change my timing. I think Rand was on target with his earlier comment.

I find myself wanting to focus on things that get the car on the road. I can always come back and "improve" on particular areas, the air box being one. The zippiddy do-da exhaust idea is another.

I reserve the right to change my mind but for now, if there's a workable, simple solution and the "cool" fab thing can wait, I'll likely take the shortest route to get it running.

Plus, that means I can work on it even more going forward!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 30 2017, 05:55 PM
Post #573

914 Guru

I'm taking Friday, 9/1 off work to complete welding on the chassis stiffening bars! It'll be a full day but the goal is to get all that done! Fingers crossed.

And with that done, I'm nearing the point where I need to pick a color... and that gets me thinking about the overall look. While I love the RSR Fuchs look, this car is clearly not a 914/6 GT tribute so...

I'm toying with these 52 Outlaw wheels against the mid 2000s Subaru WRX blue. I think these wheels fit quite nicely with my overall "RaceRod" design.

But wheel see... (see what I did there?) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

And, the blue/gold is the same combo I used on a custom SV650 I built about 12 years ago. It got a 4 page spread in Cycle World. I was pretty proud of that... plus, I went to Berkeley (Go Bears!) so blue and gold are part of my life...

Anyway, decisions, decisions. Until then, I'll be running a set of 7 and 9 x 17 Euromeisters.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 31 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #574

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 29 2017, 12:01 AM) *

Bill B Racing (BBR Filers) filters showed up today. Recommended by Borla and apparently minimal HP loss. They certainly look the business and fit perfectly.

Not as cool looking sitting on my office floor vs on the engine, but I want to keep the delicate stuff safe while all the fab work is going on.

I like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Sep 1 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #575

Member No.: 20,326
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 30 2017, 05:55 PM) *

I'm taking Friday, 9/1 off work to complete welding on the chassis stiffening bars! It'll be a full day but the goal is to get all that done! Fingers crossed.

And with that done, I'm nearing the point where I need to pick a color... and that gets me thinking about the overall look. While I love the RSR Fuchs look, this car is clearly not a 914/6 GT tribute so...

I'm toying with these 52 Outlaw wheels against the mid 2000s Subaru WRX blue. I think these wheels fit quite nicely with my overall "RaceRod" design.

But wheel see... (see what I did there?) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

And, the blue/gold is the same combo I used on a custom SV650 I built about 12 years ago. It got a 4 page spread in Cycle World. I was pretty proud of that... plus, I went to Berkeley (Go Bears!) so blue and gold are part of my life...

Anyway, decisions, decisions. Until then, I'll be running a set of 7 and 9 x 17 Euromeisters.

Love the wheels and the bike! I thought you retired...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 1 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #576

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 30 2017, 04:55 PM) *

I like the color combo! 52 Outlaws are some serious coin!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 1 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #577

914 Guru

Well, as usual, things take longer than I imagine they will. I'd hoped to get the chassis stiffening done today. Didn't quite make it but made BIG progress.
Final fit all but the front hoop-to-front suspension tubes, all tubes tacked in and a couple items final welded.

MAJOR MILESTONE! I'm feeling really good as it comes together.

It would be all but impossible to get all the way around some of these tubes. So after dry fitting the rear suspension-to-firewall bars and support plate, the bar/support plate were tack welded while everything was in position.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 1 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #578

914 Guru

Then the bar/support plate is welded on the bench.

Beautiful! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 1 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #579

914 Guru

And then back in it goes and things are tacked in place.
Here's the passenger side, awaiting rosette welding.

Final, final welding of all joints is going to happen after the car is back on the rotisserie as that will make it WAY easier to get at all the nooks and crannies.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 1 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #580

914 Guru

Then it was on to fitting and tacking the door bars.
First, all measurements were triple checked then the vertical's support pads were rosette welded to the longs.

I got to use my new-to-me South Bend lathe to final fit and square up the verticals.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:36 PM