Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

231 Pages V « < 29 30 31 32 33 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUILD-OFF CHALLENGE: Tygaboy's '75 LS3, It seemed a good idea at the time...
tygaboy
post Sep 5 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #601

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Oscillate, oscillate, check... oscillate, oscillate, check. And... it's a fit!

And while I am not yet 100% sure on just how much clearance I'll leave behind the cross bar, here it is, essentially in the final location, complete with the welds disappeared. Once it's all painted, it'll look like it was made from a single piece of tube.

Re: the top view: I have a 3" radius die and probably could have gotten the cross bar to better match the fire wall hump but I wanted to honor the "bend radius must be no less than 3x tube diameter", so the 6" radius will have to do.

The mistakes I made while fabbing this tube made it seem like it was more work than it really was (once I did it correctly!). In the end, I got the result I wanted, so it's all good.

So now it's on to fabrication of the tubes from the front hoop to the front suspension towers!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 5 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #602

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

I'd have run the tube straight. Let it go through the firewall shapes instead of conforming around them. Engineer, don't comply. But then, I'm crude and don't do noodles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm not criticizing. Just sharing thoughts. Your workmanship is amazing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 5 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #603

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Beautiful work. your fabrication skills are humbling.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 5 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #604

914 Guru

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 5 2017, 01:42 PM) *

I'd have run the tube straight. Let it go through the firewall shapes instead of conforming around them. Engineer, don't comply. But then, I'm crude and don't do noodles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm not criticizing. Just sharing thoughts. Your workmanship is amazing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Rand - You know I always love hearing from you! And it's another "great minds..." moment:
Look back a few pics (post #594) and you'll see a Sharpie circle on the passenger side of the firewall hump.

I was thinking that very thing but decided I didn't want to risk the tube interfering with the induction area on the engine side of the fire wall. Turns out it'd clear but I want an unencumbered view of the ITBs!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 5 2017, 03:10 PM
Post #605

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I'm not sure that tube would interfere with the "induction" of an air cooled engine, let alone your LS3. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Love those ITBs.
EDIT: Never mind, I was thinking airflow, not clearance. But I'm guessing your air intake won't be pointing toward the firewall.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 5 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #606

914 Guru

And the payoff is...

The seats now slide all the way back with no interference.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 5 2017, 09:34 PM
Post #607

914 Guru

Full frontal.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 5 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #608

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Wow, that's an awesome look Chris!! From the front view the harness bar flows perfectly into the door bars. Very nice!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

BTW:The multi-piece bar looks good-first look I thought it was a single piece and couldn't figure out how you could make so many perfect bends without a CNC bender. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 5 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #609

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 5 2017, 08:34 PM) *

Full frontal.

That looks really seamless! You should be proud!
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Sep 6 2017, 05:12 AM
Post #610

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

...not bad for beginner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Looks great.

T
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 6 2017, 11:42 AM
Post #611

914 Guru

Thanks for the nice compliments, everyone. I admit I'm totally enamored with each new step I complete. I keep wandering back into the shop and just stand there, looking at the latest progress...

OK, on to other stuff. Each time I think I'm ready to "finish" a particular area of the car, I realize I've forgotten something. The latest is that I was about to start on closing off parts of the lower firewall and I realized I had to account for the seat belt retractors.

Then I started looking into how I'll need to mount the AC compressor and realized I'm nowhere near ready to close up in that area.

As always, I need to see things physically to be sure about fitment so I'm ordering this set up that mounts the compressor down low on the passenger side.

It runs off the rear pulley line so I think it'll set back away from the firewall and not create any significant clearance issues.

It may require I move the electric water pump but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

I'm new to AC stuff so those of you with experience and opinions, please chime in and let me know if I'm headed in a good or bad direction with any of this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 6 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #612

Spooling.... Please wait

Keep the weight down low! Easy access to lines is nice. Just make sure thats all flexible lines in that area so you have enough room to pull the compressor off and move it out of the way if you need to remove the engine. That way you dont need to recharge your system every time you pull the engine. Maybe even making a spot you can temporarily mount the compressor on the body with the lines attached? Spitballing.
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 6 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #613

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 6 2017, 11:58 AM) *

Keep the weight down low! Easy access to lines is nice. Just make sure thats all flexible lines in that area so you have enough room to pull the compressor off and move it out of the way if you need to remove the engine. That way you dont need to recharge your system every time you pull the engine. Maybe even making a spot you can temporarily mount the compressor on the body with the lines attached? Spitballing.

+1. Everything Andyrew said. When I did my LS1 swap, I couldn't find a way to make the AC hoses any longer than I would have wished; see my build thread and you'll see how short the hoses are before attaching to the bulkhead fittings. See post 74 http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ctive&st=60
That said, I'm yet to find out whether the compressor will swing out of the way enough to allow the motor to drop without disconnecting it.

I keep coming back to your build almost daily; very enjoyable. Keep up the nice work!

Andys
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Sep 6 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #614

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 6 2017, 01:42 PM) *

Thanks for the nice compliments, everyone. I admit I'm totally enamored with each new step I complete. I keep wandering back into the shop and just stand there, looking at the latest progress...

OK, on to other stuff. Each time I think I'm ready to "finish" a particular area of the car, I realize I've forgotten something. The latest is that I was about to start on closing off parts of the lower firewall and I realized I had to account for the seat belt retractors.

Then I started looking into how I'll need to mount the AC compressor and realized I'm nowhere near ready to close up in that area.

As always, I need to see things physically to be sure about fitment so I'm ordering this set up that mounts the compressor down low on the passenger side.

It runs off the rear pulley line so I think it'll set back away from the firewall and not create any significant clearance issues.

It may require I move the electric water pump but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

I'm new to AC stuff so those of you with experience and opinions, please chime in and let me know if I'm headed in a good or bad direction with any of this.

I'm in the middle of my AC install and just ordered those Dirty Dingo mounts today. I had been running my alternater on this side. Moved it to the drivers side and replaced my mechanical pump with a electric pump.

Did you also look at the Alan Grove AC compressor mounts?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 7 2017, 08:32 AM
Post #615

914 Guru

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 6 2017, 05:05 PM) *

I'm in the middle of my AC install and just ordered those Dirty Dingo mounts today. I had been running my alternater on this side. Moved it to the drivers side and replaced my mechanical pump with a electric pump.

I did. I also called Renegade and they mentioned Dirty Dingo without prompting. Both set ups look similar but the Dirty Dingo calls out the SD7B10 mini compressor and I figure I'm best off with the smallest physical parts I can get. So Dingo it is.

BIGKAT, andys, Andyrew -
Your input is much appreciated! You're ahead of me on the A/C stuff and I'd really like to hear about your learnings.
If it's OK, I'll PM you and maybe we can talk details?
Thanks!
+Quote Post
Garland
post Sep 7 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #616

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

"I keep wandering back into the shop and just stand there, looking at the latest progress..."

Build is coming along great, and those trips to the shop is what causes all the inspiration.

Keep up the good work
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 7 2017, 09:05 AM
Post #617

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 7 2017, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 6 2017, 05:05 PM) *

I did. I also called Renegade and they mentioned Dirty Dingo without prompting. Both set ups look similar but the Dirty Dingo calls out the SD7B10 mini compressor and I figure I'm best off with the smallest physical parts I can get. So Dingo it is.

BIGKAT, andys, Andyrew -
Your input is much appreciated! You're ahead of me on the A/C stuff and I'd really like to hear about your learnings.
If it's OK, I'll PM you and maybe we can talk details?
Thanks!

IM behind you on the AC stuff I think. I dont have a compressor or anything in my car. I have ideas, but thats it. Kent is the one with a good working AC system.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 14 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #618

914 Guru

Timing is everything...

Krieger (Andy) was kind enough to host me for a visit to check out his car(s). Two REALLY nice rides! Thanks again, Andy!

Long story short, I decided to abandon my initial idea for a mod to the rear trunk hinges and follow Andy's lead of running the reverse opening rear trunk lid. It solves a few problems for me and makes for unencumbered access to the entire drive train.

The mod uses the front hood hinge assembly from a late '80s Buick LeSabre. (Hey, I have a Chevy engine so what's the harm in some more American iron parts?)

Anyway, back to "timing is everything". The nearest Pick & Pull that had a suitable LeSabre was in Sacramento. My wife and I happened to be vacationing up in the Tahoe area this past week...
"Honey? Um, would you mind if we stopped at a junk yard on the way home?"
The World's Greatest Wife says, "Sure." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Well, OK then!

Thankfully, the car they had hadn't sustained any front end damage and I was able to con a guy into loaning me the needed tools and even lend a hand in removing the hinge assembly.

AND, it's even blue! I think it was meant to be. A bit of modification is needed to make it all work but I'm happy to be able to check off another of the "how should I do this?" items on the to-do list.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 14 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #619

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Nice work! I was in the neighborhood and thought I should call but just then my wife called and said "don't you be thinking about no race car boy! "

Well, the part about being in the neighborhood and her calling is true. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Next time I'll call...
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Sep 15 2017, 12:58 AM
Post #620

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I like it!
+Quote Post

231 Pages V « < 29 30 31 32 33 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:15 PM