Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Surging and Unsettled Idel after MPS Rebuild, '74 2.0L D-Jet
R Shaff
post Apr 2 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,936
Region Association: South East States

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who wonders about intake leaks, the cigar smoke test is cheap, easy, and can be done at home. Light the cigar and take long slow draws on it to let the smoke collect in your mouth, then blow the smoke from your mouth into the intake. On this car (mine's a '72 1.7L), I disconnect the PCV hose and blow into it. Then once the intake has plenty of smoke in it, I blow harder to see if the smoke comes out anyplace but the air cleaner.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 2 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #22

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(R Shaff @ Apr 2 2017, 03:00 PM) *

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who wonders about intake leaks, the cigar smoke test is cheap, easy, and can be done at home. Light the cigar and take long slow draws on it to let the smoke collect in your mouth, then blow the smoke from your mouth into the intake. On this car (mine's a '72 1.7L), I disconnect the PCV hose and blow into it. Then once the intake has plenty of smoke in it, I blow harder to see if the smoke comes out anyplace but the air cleaner.

Curious. You'd have to cap the throttle body air tight, or it would just come out there. Seems like it would need to resist some pressure. Did you seal it or just use your palm or what? Is this a theory, or has it actually helped you find an intake leak? Interesting idea.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 2 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #23

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

What kind of cigar?
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Apr 3 2017, 07:14 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

A friend of mine built a smoke tester with a coffee can, a fat wick and some baby oil. He wrapped nichrome wire around the wick and hooked it up to 12v with alligator clips, and put regulated shop air (5-10 PSI?). I'll try to get details later, but it worked well for finding odd leaks.
+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 3 2017, 07:53 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I built one with a new paint can. Worked great to find a vacuum leak on a Ford 4.0. I got the design off You Tube. Haven't used it on a 914 yet, but plan to when the need arises.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:10 AM