Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carburetored type IV engine problem diagnosis., Engine idling problem.
Keith914
post Oct 21 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,948
Region Association: Southern California

Just completed very careful cleaning, installing, adjusting, balancing two Weber carbs on my recently rebuilt '72 1.7 type IV 914 engine upgraded to 2.4 L. Carbs are real Webers (Spain), and we're working well earlier. Balancing and setting idle at 1,100 rpm was done on cold engine - nice smooth idle and solid response to accelerator action. The carbs are 44's, idle jets are 55's, main jets are145's and the air jets are 200's. Sea level ambient condition.
Engine starts immediately and runs very well and continues to run very well above about 2,000 rpm. But once engine is approaching and then at normal operating temp - 190 F, it will not run smoothly below about 2,000 rpm, and at idle accelerator position, engine drops below 1,000 rpm and stumbles to stalling sometimes with pre ignition sounds as it stalls! Timing is set at 32 degrees at 3,000 rpm, and distributor is new with new Pertronix electronic unit, and no vacuum mechanism.

Welcome any diagnosis suggestions.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 21 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

all linkages and actuators are sync, try 34 degrees advance at 3000rpm, that is where my 40's run best.
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 21 2016, 08:50 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 21 2016, 06:00 PM) *

Just completed very careful cleaning, installing, adjusting, balancing two Weber carbs on my recently rebuilt '72 1.7 type IV 914 engine upgraded to 2.4 L. Carbs are real Webers (Spain), and we're working well earlier. Balancing and setting idle at 1,100 rpm was done on cold engine - nice smooth idle and solid response to accelerator action. The carbs are 44's, idle jets are 55's, main jets are145's and the air jets are 200's. Sea level ambient condition.
Engine starts immediately and runs very well and continues to run very well above about 2,000 rpm. But once engine is approaching and then at normal operating temp - 190 F, it will not run smoothly below about 2,000 rpm, and at idle accelerator position, engine drops below 1,000 rpm and stumbles to stalling sometimes with pre ignition sounds as it stalls! Timing is set at 32 degrees at 3,000 rpm, and distributor is new with new Pertronix electronic unit, and no vacuum mechanism.

Welcome any diagnosis suggestions.

Also I should mention on two occasions as the engine stalled from idle, there was a loud single backfire?
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 21 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Here is a pic of the linkage.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Valy
post Oct 21 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

You should adjust carbs when engine is warm, not cold.
Sounds like the mixture is too rich at idle.
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 21 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 21 2016, 07:52 PM) *

Here is a pic of the linkage.Attached Image

Here is a better pic.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 21 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Valy @ Oct 21 2016, 08:00 PM) *

You should adjust carbs when engine is warm, not cold.
Sounds like the mixture is too rich at idle.

The air/fuel mixture "needle" valves are set at two turns from closed. I wil turn them in when the engine is hot as a trial tomorrow. Thanks for your comment.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Oct 21 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

Sounds like an ignition problem not carbs.
Is your advance mechanism sticking?
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Oct 22 2016, 05:03 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

Clogged idle jet.
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 22 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #10

Removed the carbs again and inspected the float adjustment. Both were above parallel with the underside of the casting - adjusted them back to parallel. This reduced the fuel level about 1/2 inch. Inspected all four idle jets - all were clear. Inspected the jet and diaphragm of the acceleration pumps - both were clean and in good shape.
Adjusted the air fuel valves leaner and richer ( in and out respectively) with the engine close to operating temp. Was unable to find a smooth idle position - each setting eventually leading to a stall at various idle speeds. Engine still runs well above 2,000 rpm - suggests ignition is firing all 4.
Checked timing - at 3,000 rpm, setting is on leading edge of large fan bar - 34 degrees (?). Fuel pressure is at 4 lbs/ square inch.

What should I try next?
+Quote Post
stugray
post Oct 22 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 22 2016, 08:51 PM) *

Removed the carbs again and inspected the float adjustment. Both were above parallel with the underside of the casting - adjusted them back to parallel. This reduced the fuel level about 1/2 inch. Inspected all four idle jets - all were clear. Inspected the jet and diaphragm of the acceleration pumps - both were clean and in good shape.
Adjusted the air fuel valves leaner and richer ( in and out respectively) with the engine close to operating temp. Was unable to find a smooth idle position - each setting eventually leading to a stall at various idle speeds. Engine still runs well above 2,000 rpm - suggests ignition is firing all 4.
Checked timing - at 3,000 rpm, setting is on leading edge of large fan bar - 34 degrees (?). Fuel pressure is at 4 lbs/ square inch.

What should I try next?

Based on some of your explanation I think you should read the instructions again of how you set the float valves.
Running poorly once warm could be an intake manifold air leak.
Had one this morning at the track because I had just reinstalled both carbs with phenolic spacers and double gaskets. Ran great on all of the 5 minute loops around the neighborhood.
The car had never been solidly heat soaked so when I checked the carbs after the first race they were both loose
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 23 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 22 2016, 08:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Keith914 @ Oct 22 2016, 08:51 PM) *

What should I try next?

Based on some of your explanation I think you should read the instructions again of how you set the float valves.
Running poorly once warm could be an intake manifold air leak.
Had one this morning at the track because I had just reinstalled both carbs with phenolic spacers and double gaskets. Ran great on all of the 5 minute loops around the neighborhood.
The car had never been solidly heat soaked so when I checked the carbs after the first race they were both loose

Thanks for all the feedback. Have checked for vacuum leaks and when engine is running will use some carb cleaner to double check vacuum leaks.
Will install a fuel pressure regulator before start up to bring the pressure down from 4 to 2.5 lbs/square inch.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 24 2016, 07:21 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

What's your advance at idle?

Get a modern adjustable timing light. They're cheap and you'll use it regularly.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 24 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

That fuel pressure is very high,that would cause the stalling,try to regulate it back to 3 psi,I think Jake Raby mentions he uses 2.5 psi. which ever pressure you use it will improve.
Choose a quality low pressure regulator not the cheap crappy one the VW shops sell.
You can never tune carbs with high fuel pressure as you will have fuel spilling over from the fuel bowls down the throats,raw fuel doesn't burn well.
These are large carbs for a 1.7 what size venturies are you running? .
Good luck.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 24 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #15

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 24 2016, 04:22 PM) *

These are large carbs for a 1.7 what size venturies are you running? .

He said its a 2.4L now.
+Quote Post
Mr Pharmacist
post Oct 25 2016, 01:54 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,807
Region Association: England

I had idling issues for ages on my 2056 with 40 IDF's. I eventually fixed it by balancing the carbs using a carb air flow meter and a youtube video - its never idled so smoothly!
+Quote Post
Keith914
post Oct 25 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #17

One more issue identified. The gaskets between the heads and the intake are thick (1/4") which are prone to causing vacuum leaks with carbs. I will be replacing them with typical thin gaskets today and will report back.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 25 2016, 09:37 AM
Post #18

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Don't tighten one carb to intake nut fully. Bring the torque value up in stages in a x pattern.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 25 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #19

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You have to use a syncrometer.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.partsklassik.com-1110-1477416745.1.jpg)

Valves and timing must be set.

Tune with the engine warm and at 2000 RPM

Without a syncrometer, you're just pissing in dark pants. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

http://www.partsklassik.com/p-703-synchrometer.aspx
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Oct 25 2016, 02:16 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

My type IV is 2.2. I also have 44idf Webers. I've had them on the car for about 13 years and just recently rebuilt them. After rebuild it still ran like crap. I again checked the idle jets and found the jets on the passenger side carb were hopelessly clogged. Even after a thorough cleaning and rebuild. Cleaned them out, car runs great. I use 130 mains, 175 air jet, 55idle jets and 34 venturis. What size venturis are you running? Maybe try a different size vent. My experience with Webers is, you need to start with a jet combination then trial and error from there. I tried different combo's till I found what works for me. Try using smaller mains and air jets. You may also find your venturis are too large. (or too small) The syncrometer is a must have for balancing the carbs. I followed this advice for float adjustment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uPwTZ3DJw
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:19 AM