Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are head and cylinder gaskets compression gaskets?
MartyYeoman
post Aug 22 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 839
Region Association: Northern California

I just read thru this thread. Very illuminating. Here is my situation and probable solution. I thought I'd throw this out there for others to comment on. I'm putting together a 2056 build. I have a set of 2.0 liter heads that have been resurfaced at the cylinder sealing plane. The problem is that the plane is now too deep in the head to provide clearance for the cylinder spud. In other words the sealing surfaces don't contact. I could fill the gap (>1mm) by using a head gasket but would rather not. I prefer to flycut the heads to remove what I consider excess material and go with no gasket at the head. I would still use the shims below the cylinder to control deck height and compression ratio. Currently, I calculate the no gasket senerio at about 9:1. This motor is going into my daily driver and is going to run L-Jet using a WebCam-73.
Thanks for commenting.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 22 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #102

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Happened to me when I resurfaced the sealing circle, for lack of a better term. The cooling fing portion of the cylinders, spud as you say, was then too close. So I got out the fly cutter and trimmed the faces of the heads. Well described in the Wilson book.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Aug 22 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #103

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

I think we should have a "Gaskets vs No-Gaskets" softball game to settle this debate once and for all.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:22 AM