Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to install factory front stablizer bar mounts, Quick and easy method I use
914Sixer
post Oct 22 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Clean the indention area off first. Take the mounting plate and turn it upside down. Place it in the ridge with any side up. You can FEEL it slot into the arch. Draw your center hole. Center punch hard. Take the smaller step bit (Harbor Freight) and step it through all the sizes. Next chuck up the larger bit and take it step by step until the center hole of the plate fits. Next draw the bottom hole only. Use the smaller step bit about half way or you will drill into the inside brace. Chuck the larger bit up and step the hole to about 19mm (3/4"). Fit plate again and mark two upper hole. Using the smaller bit again step it to 3/4" ONE hole at a time. Check the plate fit. You may have to open the holes ONE size larger on the step bit. Last picture is of the tank side.. Clean up holes and get ready to to welding preparation. Hope this will help you in your job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Oct 22 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #2

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Interesting. Did you get these mounts at the dealer? I bought a set of aftermarket years ago that go on the other side. I was planning on installing them soon. This approach looks much less intrusive (and easier)! Thanks for posting this.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 22 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Yep, they are available from dealer for less than $30 each depending on where you shop.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 22 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

I did that very similarly except instead of buying the larger step drill I mounted the plate and tack welded it in...then drilled the bushing hole out with the same step drill and got a cartridge roll on a angle air die grinder to grind it out the rest of the way to the nut plate.

Front sway bar is a nice improvement. Nice work. I ended up "rust painting" in that area...."while I was there".
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Oct 22 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

As I recently found out, It is also important to be cautious and take care near the harness while welding this in.

Your picture shows nicely the proximity of this to the bar mount.

Do you have any tips of how you do this?
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 23 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Part # 914 501 162 10
Reinforcement for stabilser mounting (sic)
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 23 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 22 2016, 09:01 PM) *

As I recently found out, It is also important to be cautious and take care near the harness while welding this in.

Your picture shows nicely the proximity of this to the bar mount.

Do you have any tips of how you do this?

Just undo the metal tab and there should be enough slack to carefully pull the harness up enough to tack weld the nut plate in place. The real trick is when you MIG weld the nut plate in is to try and keep as much heat on the nut plate to not burn through the fender weld metal too much as it is thin. I did.... and just took a small air disk sander and repainted and re-undercoated the fender well.

I recommend if you add the sway bar do the TT rod upgrade (turbo tie rod) at the same time and any other work you can while you have the gas tank out.
+Quote Post
BeemerSteve
post Oct 23 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,123
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've been scratching my head thinking about how to do this on my 73 Signal Orange car lately and you posted this "how to ". Thanks very much for sharing this!
I love this forum!!
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Oct 23 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,889

IIRC, the factory reinforcing plate was welded on the INSIDE of the fender wheel well. . The outside plate with the bushing and the inner nut plate sandwiched the body between. .
The factory only tack welded the inner plate, not all the way around. I've ripped out numerous factory setups with hard track use. . stress cracks at the bolt holes. Probably should be more substantially welded.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 23 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 23 2016, 11:02 AM) *

IIRC, the factory reinforcing plate was welded on the INSIDE of the fender wheel well. . The outside plate with the bushing and the inner nut plate sandwiched the body between. .
The factory only tack welded the inner plate, not all the way around. I've ripped out numerous factory setups with hard track use. . stress cracks at the bolt holes. Probably should be more substantially welded.

I think he did...the OP...I think he is just showing how you can transfer the bolt and hole pattern from the outside of the fender well and then weld it to the inside of the fender well.

Of course you need to notch the hat section inside the fender well to get it to position correctly from the fuel tank.

Think the nut plate from either rebel or Pelican have the templates and instructions.

There are a couple of threads here that show that.

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Oct 23 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Somebody please post a picture of the factory one. There is NO inside cutting. Plate goes on the outside as I posted. It was spot welded in about 6 places.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 23 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #12

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

I disagree. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
No other "plate" or reinforcing material was ever used on the installation of the OE front anti-sway bar than the component depicted previously, in the manner described (except that it also had 3 stich welds in addition to the many spot welds, on each side of that plate)
Ive personally stripped MANY original cars so equipped. None had any other inside support.
BTW, this installation CAN be preformed w/o removal of the tank, just take appropriate precautions when welding.

EDIT:If the suggestion that part 901.333.753.01 (support) was installed by the factory on 914's I'd say BS as Ive never seen one, but it looks like a reasonable update for factory equipped cars.
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Sep 3 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,245

Great info here . Thanks for posting.
I will be doing my install using this method.

Question ... if reinforcement plates were also installed . (The kind that go in the wheel well) I would assume the reinforce plate would be mounted first ?

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 3 2017, 02:57 PM
Post #14

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Oct 23 2016, 02:22 PM) *

I disagree. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
No other "plate" or reinforcing material was ever used on the installation of the OE front anti-sway bar than the component depicted previously, in the manner described (except that it also had 3 stich welds in addition to the many spot welds, on each side of that plate)
Ive personally stripped MANY original cars so equipped. None had any other inside support.
BTW, this installation CAN be preformed w/o removal of the tank, just take appropriate precautions when welding.

EDIT:If the suggestion that part 901.333.753.01 (support) was installed by the factory on 914's I'd say BS as Ive never seen one, but it looks like a reasonable update for factory equipped cars.

Good to know Rich.
I had always been told you "must" add the reinforcement. But good to hear from someone with experience on these.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 3 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #15

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

BTW, for those of you without sway bars, this is one of the most dramatic improvements I made to my car back when I got it. Driving it into corners was Night-and-day different. Well worth the effort...
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Sep 4 2017, 08:49 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,323

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
A must do enhancement to really experience the legendary 'go kart' like handling of the 914.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 4 2017, 09:57 AM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is on my '74 parts car. All factory as far as I know. Nothing on the inside but definitely a plate in the outside.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 4 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #18

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 23 2016, 12:14 PM) *

Somebody please post a picture of the factory one. There is NO inside cutting. Plate goes on the outside as I posted. It was spot welded in about 6 places.

I agree. I hope someone with a car with factory installed sway bars will post a couple of photos of the installation. I wouldn't mind seeing the factory rear bar installation as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Well, there you go. Mepstein posted photos while I was typing. Thanks, Mepstein. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:35 AM