Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Powdercoating is awesome... even WITHOUT an oven!, with promised pictures.
Lawrence
post Jun 26 2003, 04:14 PM
Post #41

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Here's the finished product, all spread out on the floor. The picture doesn't do it justice. Also added to the picture is the crossmember and the master cylinder that I'm rebuilding.

-Rusty

P.S. After several attempts at the brake shields, I ended up doing them with satin black powder. Even then, they didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted. Someday, I'll take the time to redo them.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 26 2003, 04:16 PM
Post #42

What temp do the pros cook them too?

Hi Kelly!

My target temp was usually 375, for 15 minutes on the basecoat, and 20-25 minutes on the clear.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 26 2003, 04:19 PM
Post #43

What goes in that cage??   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  

Pam's dog. It's not particularly user-friendly to strangers, so she has the kennel built in the garage.
+Quote Post
post Jun 26 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #44

Group:
Member No.: 0

Funny how everyone only cares about what's off topic. Green Bay Packers and the cage. hehehe

Nice, reminds me of Gunnarracing.

(IMG:http://www.gunnarracing.com/project/904-068/misc904-0617-03.jpg)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 26 2003, 05:15 PM
Post #45

yeah, I know what you mean. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A booth would be great. I wonder if a typical paint booth could get to that temp?

When I was at a local coating place, they had large ovens that had a moving chain that moved parts through a timed cycle. Some of these ovens were 12-15 feet long, 6 feet high and 2-3 feet deep.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jun 26 2003, 05:16 PM
Post #46

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

Way to go Rusty. Thta is one hellofa job.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Jun 26 2003, 05:43 PM
Post #47

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

very nice!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jun 26 2003, 05:45 PM
Post #48

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

This is a hoax! Just like the man on the moon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Rusty, they look nice...good job...do mine for me?
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 26 2003, 06:07 PM
Post #49

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments.

If you were closer.. sure, Sean.

It's not difficult, but does have a brief learning curve. The Heater was a b-day present (early) from Pam.

Total cost: tools, powder, prep chemicals: about 300.00, with LOTS of powder left over. I used about a pound of smoke chome, and less than a pound of clear.

The cost doesn't include stripping/media blasting the parts.
+Quote Post
Pam
post Jun 26 2003, 07:00 PM
Post #50

Unnumbered Lady of 914s

Member No.: 756

Since Lawrence has weighed in on the powdercoating experience - let me add my two cents worth....(this may be of interest to those of you who think 'gee - I wish I had someone to help me in the garage'). Remember - we are there to help but we also remember those moments you wish we wouldn't.

Some of you may know from previous posts that I'm always concerned about a fire. Sure...we survived the 2 gallons of gas on the garage floor from a huge fuel leak on the Bee and we've survived the learning curve on carbs ("whoa...that really flamed up, didn't it")...but I figure its only a matter of time before I have to pull the pin on the fire extinguisher. Propane....flame just six inches from the tank.....seemed like a little browse through the instructions would be in order before firing it up so I suggested to Lawrence that he read the instructions before lighting the heater. I was informed "I know every damn thing I need to know about this and I don't need no f'n instructions".

So...I stand patiently by with the fire extinguisher in my hand as he puts the match directly into the hole the propane is coming out of. The force of the gas coming out of the tank blows out the first match..and the second....and the third....so, he does what any reasonable person would do....puts two matches together and holds them directly in the stream of the propane. Still...the force blows the matches out. Does he go for the instructions? Of course not...he informs me he needs 'stronger matches'.

As I stood and watched him hold two matches with the vise grips...I reluctantly put down my fire extinguisher and go find the instructions. Certainly 'stronger matches' weren't the way they designed this thing. I look at the picture. I look at where he's lighting the heater. What's wrong with this picture??? Oh....apparently stronger matches aren't necessary if you don't put the matches directly in the stream of propane. I mention in a supportive and helpful tone that he might want to move the match to the front of the heater...but by that time he's found another hole he can stick a match in (with, of course, the same result...that flame just won't catch) and he tells me he 'knows what he's doing'. Okay..no more supportive tone - I toss the instructions at him and tell him he'd have more success if he lit the heater...........somewhere around the front where it says 'Light Here'.

Along the same lines - I think you've seen the picture where he has the wire wheel scrape on his knee. Anyone care to guess who in the garage said 'you shouldn't do that while you are sitting in case the wheel jumps and you hit your skin??' (in fairness - I learned that the hard way - when we re-did the Bee I was forever catching the wire wheel on my shoe strings and had scrapes on my ankles almost every day...the guys at work were really beginning to think 'car repair' was my term for something much more interesting)

On final thought...it was hot and it was two really long days but Lawrence did a great job and he should be proud of how good the pieces look.

-Pam
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jun 26 2003, 07:22 PM
Post #51

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

Nice job Lawrence!

Can you come over and do mine?

Regards,

Karl
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 26 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #52

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 26 2003, 03:19 PM)
What goes in that cage??   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)  

Pam's dog. It's not particularly user-friendly to strangers, so she has the kennel built in the garage.

Hey, that's a good idea. My psycho dog goes into the garage when visitors come over...but then if -they- go into the garage... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 26 2003, 07:33 PM
Post #53

In all fairness, and I wish I had a close-up picture of the propane heater... it LOOKED like the logical place to start the unit.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. But lighting the heater directly in the propane stream coming from the tank made a really cool noise.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 26 2003, 07:35 PM
Post #54

Hey, that's a good idea. My psycho dog goes into the garage when visitors come over...but then if -they- go into the garage...    :chow:

You have exactly the right idea.

Jasmine, Pam's basenji, likes to eat stuff. Lots of stuff. Well, pretty much anything if she's in an aggravated mood.

Since the garage has shovels, rakes and implements of destrucion (bonus points if you know where that came from), not to mention boxes of shoes, chemicals, etc... it's best that she's contained in the garage to keep her safe.
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 26 2003, 07:49 PM
Post #55

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice job on the parts. All I can say about the tank lighting is boom. Don't try and vacume rocks out of your gas tank either.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jun 26 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #56

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 26 2003, 05:35 PM)
Since the garage has shovels, rakes and implements of destrucion (bonus points if you know where that came from), not to mention boxes of shoes, chemicals, etc... it's best that she's contained in the garage to keep her safe.

Alice's Restaurant

(and I knew that way before I lived in the vicinity of it)
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jun 26 2003, 10:42 PM
Post #57

no rules, just wrong

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 26 2003, 05:12 PM)
Ah, powdercoating always brings a couple together. Nice job!
I'll have to try that one on Monique.

Geoff

Geoff, I'm sure you could figure out some way to get the powder to stick to her but I'm not sure she'd survive the curing process.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jun 26 2003, 10:48 PM
Post #58

no rules, just wrong

LB, is it more difficult to see the clear flow out since it's, well, clear?

I BBQ with coals instead of gas, and I forget how much does a bottle of propane go for. Does $50 for a bottle and $25 for a refill sound about right?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 26 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #59

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Jon, the curing process would be one of those HOT Surinamese dishes she can make. They get your body temp up to atleast 350 degrees.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 27 2003, 06:20 AM
Post #60

LB, is it more difficult to see the clear flow out since it's, well, clear?

Nope. Actually, it's easier to see. It sprays on opaque white. Then as it flows out, it becomes clear.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:37 AM