Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help us rebuild a 1.7, We have no idea what we're doing, but its fun!
ericoneal
post Jan 26 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,795
Region Association: South East States

Thanks.

Valy, I think your right. I'm going to take pictures of everything and then you guys can tell me what needs to be replaced.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jan 27 2017, 02:30 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

You may be able to find a local automotive machine shop that can clean the case fairly cheap. In the old days it would have been soaked in a hot tank of caustic chemicals but now days most all are water based cleaners. We had a high pressure wash cabinet with a rotating basket. In there for 30 minutes and it would look pretty good.

Before cleaning the case, be sure to remove the 5 dowel pins for locating/securing the crank bearings, they get lost easily. There are 4 in one case half and 1 in the other.

Jim
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Nov 13 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #43

So this project is now on indefinite hold. I have discovered a 4 inch crack in one of the heads.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Nov 13 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

Sorry to hear. I am in Nashville. I have 2 heads from a '71 1.7. I have no idea about their condition. They are not cleaned up.

You can have them. If they will get you going.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 13 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #45

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I can't believe that engine ran fairly well before I pulled it. As I told you it had low leak down in one cylinder (#3 iirc) The car had a lot of work done by a really shady "mechanic", but the PO didn't know anything about the engine
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Nov 13 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 13,838

Same as Malcolm2 - two 1.7 heads, no idea of their condition. Same price as Malcolms.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Nov 13 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 11,573

QUOTE(ericoneal @ Nov 13 2017, 02:01 PM) *

So this project is now on indefinite hold. I have discovered a 4 inch crack in one of the heads.

This sound like an upgrade opportunity to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 14 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #48

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I love this place. I need to get my soon to be 5yo in on something like this. Engines are more fun that transmissions, I think, but take more time and $$ (for me). Walter and Perry are kick ass, lucky you live near enough.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Nov 14 2017, 03:11 PM
Post #49

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

Hey Eric,

It looks like I have a lead on a good 1.7 head that I could send you at no-cost. Would a head be of use if it needed to be rebuilt but was otherwise in good condition without cracks?

Let me know. You can PM if you'd prefer. Hate to see your project stall.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Nov 14 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #50

I dont know what to say... Malcolm, RoadGlue, and Walter, you guys and NCRider who sent me the rebuild DVD have been great. What a great community we have here! Thank you guys very much for the offers.

Malcolm, this engine came from Nashville, I bought it from Perry Kiehl as an "condition unknown", so I expected issues.

Walter, I may take you up on yours if you have no need for them and just have some laying around. I see Walter regularly and he is familiar with this engine and my driver 2.0, which he helped to get started afterm that one was rebuilt. Hell, the engine stand in the pictures is his as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Walter has given me parts and time already, so I would want to give you at least something in exchange.

I'm still trying to determine what to do with this engine as the project has been stalled for awhile.
I can rebuild it, but I already have a 2.0 that was just rebuilt and is running great, so I probably won't need it. I would hesitate to sell it if I did finish it as I would hate to have it crap out on someone due to my limited experience.
Suggestions?
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Nov 14 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

Weren’t the dish top pistons used on the 73 1.7s? I know that the 71s had pop up pistons. I would put a set of 96mm p&cs in it and try to find a set of 1.8 heads with the bigger valves and better ports. Mill the step off of the sealing surface for compression. I used to mill the big boss of the small end of the rods to lighten them a bit. It will run great with the stock injection and be a fun engine.

Charlie
+Quote Post
Boomingbeetle
post Nov 14 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 20,556
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Nov 14 2017, 02:57 PM) *

Weren’t the dish top pistons used on the 73 1.7s? I know that the 71s had pop up pistons. I would put a set of 96mm p&cs in it and try to find a set of 1.8 heads with the bigger valves and better ports. Mill the step off of the sealing surface for compression. I used to mill the big boss of the small end of the rods to lighten them a bit. It will run great with the stock injection and be a fun engine.

Charlie

If you are interested in this route, I have a set of 1.8 heads newly rebuilt by Brothers VW in Ontario CA, the heads have also had the spark plugs relocated to the 2.0 angle/position which is supposed to increase HP. PM me if interested and I can get you pics and receipts.
+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Feb 9 2018, 01:25 PM
Post #53

So this project may be picking back up. I found a set of, what are said to be, 1.8L heads near me for dirt cheap but they will need to be cleaned up. I'd like to make this engine a 2056 and I know this has been asked a hundred time before but, can I just drop 96mm pistons and cylinders into 1.8 heads without needed to have any work done to them, then fit them on this 1.7L case? Will the sheet metal fit too? From what I read, these are preferred over 1.7 heads for strength and performance.
Would I be better off getting Walter's 1.7 heads and doing the same, will those need to be cut for 96mm?

Finally, have a look at these heads, can you guys definitely identify them as 1.8s?

Guy states: "The heads are oval port with 40mn intake valves and a 93mm cylinder bore." I want to make sure he's not passing me bus heads or something...

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Feb 9 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

Cleanliness is not what is required on heads. Someone needs to check them out. Cracks etc…

2056 will need a 71 mm crank along with 96mm jugs and pistons. That crank will also require smaller rods. Folks say to make a 1.7 into a 2.0 you need to make sure the rods and crank clear webbing etc inside the engine. The cooling tin would fit 1.7 ans 2.0 jugs the OD is the same.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:41 PM