Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 conversion cooling basics 101, Expnasion tank to overflow tank to...?
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Nov 20 2016, 03:50 PM
Post #21

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Cracker,

I think I will do this. I can't tell but does the line going to your Mobile One bottle enter from the top of the bottle and if so, how far does the hose go into the bottle? I understand filling it up around 1/3 of the way up. So as the engine cools and desires coolant, it will hopefully have enough between the expansion/header then overflow then Mobile One containers... correct?

I think my timing was too far advanced (although I did not hear any pinging under load) so I backed off the timing and I think this has helped. Is there a way to get the timing correct on these v8 conversions even when you cannot see the balancer and marks? I am now wondering if I might have head gasket issues. I do not have any coolant in my oil but I do wonder if I have oil in my coolant... or perhaps exhaust gas in my coolant. My coolant is not milky but it is not green either as one one think considering how new it is. I am taking it in to a local repair shop (close to home... it should not get too hot) and have them test for pressures and exhaust gasses/oil in the coolant.

QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 30 2016, 07:09 PM) *

I don't believe the expansion tank size is your big issue. Circled below is the expansion tank I use and I have had no problem with cooling.

You can also add another "catch can" - like an oil can - and have your overfill line drain into it - fill it roughly 1/3 full and the hose below the water line (cold). This should help.

I've attached a picture of my race car with the expansion tank and overflow circled. The overflow tank is a Mobile-1 oil container.

Tony

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 20 2016, 04:48 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

The hose is about 1" from the bottom of the container...

Tony

[quote name='BRAVE_HELIOS' date='Nov 20 2016, 04:50 PM' post='2425289']
Hey Cracker,

I think I will do this. I can't tell but does the line going to your Mobile One bottle enter from the top of the bottle and if so, how far does the hose go into the bottle? I understand filling it up around 1/3 of the way up. So as the engine cools and desires coolant, it will hopefully have enough between the expansion/header then overflow then Mobile One containers... correct?

[/quote]
[/quote]
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Nov 21 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #23

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks Tony!

Also, should the oil bottle (second overflow) be lower than the first or does it matter. I was going to temporarily (perhaps permanently) mount it next to the first bottle located in the trunk.

Tony
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Nov 21 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I would but it doesn't really matter...

Tony

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Nov 21 2016, 06:28 PM) *

Thanks Tony!

Also, should the oil bottle (second overflow) be lower than the first or does it matter. I was going to temporarily (perhaps permanently) mount it next to the first bottle located in the trunk.

Tony

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 08:24 AM