Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: Two 1.8L motors
andreic
post Oct 31 2016, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,479
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am cleaning out the garage and need to get rid of two Porsche 1.8L motors.

The first engine came out of my car, a 1975 914 1.8L with 94k miles. The engine was removed in June, in very good running condition. Set up with a single Weber carb, and I would prefer to sell it complete with the carb. Excellent oil pressure (tested within the last 500 miles), compressions in the 90's, very uniform. Six of the eight pushrod tubes were replaced with new ones in the last 1500 miles (of course also with new seals). The remaining two were still leaking slightly, easily fixed with engine out of the car. Everything is included, flywheel, fan, engine tins, good condition thermostat, etc. Asking $600 OBO. It is still in the exact condition as it came from the car, nothing was disassembled from it. (Except for the alternator and carburetor, both of which will be included.)

The second engine I bought last November from another member here on the world. Was sold to me as "running, but consider it a core." I tested it and it ran well last December. Like the other one, it has excellent oil pressure, compressions uniform in the 90's. The car it came from had 114k miles, but the engine was always run with FI, so it should still have many miles to go on it. After testing the engine I've taken off the engine tins, fan housing/fan/alternator, pushrods/pushrod tubes/rockers. All of these will be included, in good shape (except for the engine tins which have light rust on them). Asking $300 for this one. I can throw in a single Weber carb setup and manifolds I have lying around somewhere, but which is untested.

I also have several other parts that could go with either engine: a set of solid exhaust headers with heat exchangers (the actual exhaust pipes are in good shape, but the heat exchangers are ratty); an empty 901 transmission case which I've used for testing the engines (to connect the starter motor); a starter motor which was working well on the engine that I removed. Feel free to shoot me offers on either one of these. Sorry I don't have pictures of these parts, but they are in storage.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andreic
post Nov 2 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #2

Even though I've tried selling these motors before, I never get any replies. Can I ask the fellow listers to tell me what am I doing wrong? Is a running 1.8L motor not worth $600? Am I asking too high a price? Or are people just not needing motors at all, so I just have to wait for the random person who needs one? Please help!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 2 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(andreic @ Nov 2 2016, 08:04 PM) *

Even though I've tried selling these motors before, I never get any replies. Can I ask the fellow listers to tell me what am I doing wrong? Is a running 1.8L motor not worth $600? Am I asking too high a price? Or are people just not needing motors at all, so I just have to wait for the random person who needs one? Please help!

Location and demand, next week someone might need/want one.

I'd try the Samba and craigslist, I got rid of an old 1.7 on craigslist to a bug guy.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Nov 2 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Sir, I have 75 1.8 FI and I would plan to upgrade it to a minimum of 2056 when my 1.8 is not running anymore. I believed 914 guys would want atleast 1.7 or 2.0 running engine. I think also the only good with 1.8 engine is the head for rebuild to a higher HP.
The only person may want a 1.8 running engine if they just want something to install it in his car for temporary while building and their engine.
If you lower it maybe someone will take it.
Just sharing what i thought about it!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 2 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Nov 2 2016, 08:19 PM) *

Sir, I have 75 1.8 FI and I would plan to upgrade it to a minimum of 2056 when my 1.8 is not running anymore. I believed 914 guys would want atleast 1.7 or 2.0 running engine. I think also the only good with 1.8 engine is the head for rebuild to a higher HP.
The only person may want a 1.8 running engine if they just want something to install it in his car for temporary while building and their engine.
If you lower it maybe someone will take it.
Just sharing what i thought about it!

Wrong, a 1.8 can make a nice 1911 engine (stock short stroke, slightly larger bore), the case and heads can be used to make a 2.0 if someone gets a 2.0 crank and rods (which usually go for $150), a case is a case.

I paid $500 for my 1.8 motor that needed new exhaust studs, the days of free decent motors are slowly numbered.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 2 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Crap! ... you mean the good 1.8L long block I sold for $75. last year was too low? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Nov 2 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

ooops ok my Bad! well no one is replying so I just tried to share what i know.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Nov 3 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

The price is good and the demand would/might be there. One issue that may be holding people back is shipping.

If you are patient, I think these should sell. If I didn't have other project with higher priorities going on, I would pick up one of these.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Nov 4 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 5,245

I should not even ask this but...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Any idea how much it would be to ship the $300 engine to Phoenix Arizona, 85085?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 4 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Probably close to $300.
+Quote Post
andreic
post Nov 4 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #11

AZBanks, let me know if you are seriously interested, and I'll try to find a quote.

Thanks to everyone else who replied, I'll hang in there and maybe post on the Samba. Hopefully someone needs one of these motors... If I could get rid of at least one of them it would appease the wife, who wants both (or at least one of them) gone from the garage before the snow flies...

+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Nov 5 2016, 12:43 AM
Post #12

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

use engineshipping.com. strap it to a pallett. cost $300 CA to NY
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Nov 7 2016, 09:17 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,273

Bruce is correct / typical type 4 engine shipping these days is a 300 dollar event.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
karmanbuilt
post Jan 13 2017, 06:05 PM
Post #14

???

Member No.: 9,262
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Andrel PM sent this month
+Quote Post
Shakazulu720
post Jan 14 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #15

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 20,753

PM sent
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:22 PM