Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rant on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 1 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

First a word to sellers, there are a couple of things we can do to make it harder for the scammers.

1. It's important when you sell a car to watermark the pictures somehow. There are a million apps for this but you can also go oldschool. When someone I don't know asks me for pictures of a car, I say sure, and cover it in magnets. If they are interested in buying the car they don't care, if they are trying to picture flip or worse, just use the pictures their plans are foiled.
2. It's also why I always take pictures for ebay in the same spot in my shop, that way people recognize the place. I've actually had people call me and say someone was trying to sell one of my cars but they recognized my shop, so it works.

Next a word to buyers.
1. Be careful out there everybody, the more these things are valuable, the more risk, a wise man once said buy the seller not the car.
2. If you think you are being super clever staying up all night searching the dark corner's of the internet and found that Porsche listed on an obscure website and it's just your lucky day or you found some dealer in a small town with a slick website who just doesn't know what he has, don't send the deposit, it isn't your lucky day. If you found it on the internet the gig is up, anyone who can setup a website and take pictures of rare car, can do five minutes of research and won't put it on their site for half of it's true value.
Now if you're pumping gas in your 911 and some guy walks up to you and says he has his uncle's old Porch, do you want to come look at it, that might be real, but if you find it online and it seems like it too good to be true, it is. There was once a time when you could scan craigslist and jump on a deal, that day is long gone. I went to see a well known flipper in NYC several years ago, he had three Indian women sitting in front of computers hitting re-fresh on every craigslist, every classic car forum, and every other avenue every few seconds, that's why that dude calls you within 15 minutes of you placing an ad, trust me you can't compete with that, so if a craigslist ad has been up for more than 15 minutes and it seems like your lucky day, it isn't.
Bottom line, if you find a "super deal" on the internet there is a 90% chance that it is a scam, and if it's not, some flipper will offer the guy way more, and you'll be out of the deal. Another well known west coast flipper will always pay more, just to get people to stop trying. I once won a sealed bid estate auction for three Porsches. Once this guy found out it was me he said, "I'll pay 20% over whatever Adam bid!" Luckily, the seller was a gentleman and I got the cars. But he was willing to do anything to best me.
If you want a deal on a Porsche go out and make some friends, meet other Porsche guys, the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. Most of the cars I buy are not advertised, people just know to call me, but all I do is make myself known. I seen some of the best deals happen between two friends, so if you are in the market for a Porsche, get out there and drive, don't surf the net, there are no deals there, but there are lots of scammers.
---Adam

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
draganc
post Nov 2 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

thanks for the 101 of internet car business, but what triggered your post?

this community needs (not only form you but in general) more specific details/information about the bad guys!

i think I also know that NYC, I wouldn't buy a car from him but it's his business and he can run it any legal way he wants.

hence, we need specific details not just rumors - about any scam out there.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Nov 2 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

I think the point Adam is trying to make is correct. The "wild, wild west" days of craigslist car deals are basically over.

If you are smart enough to post a craigslist ad you are smart enough to know the value of your car. There may be an occasional car deal that slips through; however, they are few and far between. And, if one does show up, there will be a dozen buyers with cash in hand waiting.

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 2 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bargains are few and far between. With the market corrections starting to take place MAYBE the less than upstanding people that have come our way will be leaving!
+Quote Post
Perry Kiehl Clone
post Nov 2 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Every month or so there's an ad for a '86 911 for $13,000 same car, never a reply. I've seen the ad in a few different cities
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 2 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Nov 2 2016, 02:32 PM) *

Every month or so there's an ad for a '86 911 for $13,000 same car, never a reply. I've seen the ad in a few different cities

I see the same ad and always flag it..
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 2 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(draganc @ Nov 2 2016, 06:35 AM) *

this community needs (not only form you but in general) more specific details/information about the bad guys!

i think I also know that NYC, I wouldn't buy a car from him but it's his business and he can run it any legal way he wants.

I guess the point of my post is to share my knowledge on the subject and also start a discussion on how as a community we can both police and protect each other. In the 356 world many of the cars are known, so when a car pops up, people come out and say something like, "That car sold at the Scottsdale auction 2 years ago, so that ad can't be right." But if sellers take it a step further and do stuff like watermarking than when a car pops back up using re-cycled pics people can say, "That's Scotty B's watermark, are you selling that car again Scott". To where he would reply, after he fixed his pretty hair, that no he sold that car several years ago and it's being restored in Europe, so anyone saying they are selling it in Seattle is lying.
As far as legal and ethical, there is a huge gulf between those two points on the compass. But someone who has no investment in the community can sway toward the "just legal" side of things with no repercussions.
Anyone who does have a specific detail should share it in a central place so if someone is a serial offender, they can be labeled as such.
So to answer your original question why I posted this, I am hoping that as a community we can pool information and freeze out the knuckleheads, let them go back to flipping mini-vans on their local craigslist and leave Porsches to people who care about them.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 2 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #8

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I bot old porch from dude in NY, but it had rust so i selling for 5000 or best offer now

pay me western union (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 2 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 2 2016, 04:09 PM) *

I bot old porch from dude in NY, but it had rust so i selling for 5000 or best offer now

pay me western union (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Don't worry, all of our cars are "rust free", i.e. no charge for the rust....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Nov 3 2016, 08:41 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 2 2016, 07:29 PM) *

...let them go back to flipping mini-vans on their local craigslist and leave Porsches to people who care about them.

Dude, it looks like you already have all the Porsches! :-)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 3 2016, 09:24 AM
Post #11

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 2 2016, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Nov 2 2016, 06:35 AM) *

I guess the point of my post is to share my knowledge on the subject and also start a discussion on how as a community we can both police and protect each other. In the 356 world many of the cars are known, so when a car pops up, people come out and say something like, "That car sold at the Scottsdale auction 2 years ago, so that ad can't be right." But if sellers take it a step further and do stuff like watermarking than when a car pops back up using re-cycled pics people can say, "That's Scotty B's watermark, are you selling that car again Scott". To where he would reply, after he fixed his pretty hair, that no he sold that car several years ago and it's being restored in Europe, so anyone saying they are selling it in Seattle is lying.
As far as legal and ethical, there is a huge gulf between those two points on the compass. But someone who has no investment in the community can sway toward the "just legal" side of things with no repercussions.
Anyone who does have a specific detail should share it in a central place so if someone is a serial offender, they can be labeled as such.
So to answer your original question why I posted this, I am hoping that as a community we can pool information and freeze out the knuckleheads, let them go back to flipping mini-vans on their local craigslist and leave Porsches to people who care about them.

HEY !! Don't drag me into whatever scam you're running pal ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif)

I see a couple old friends in those pics of yours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 3 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

HEY !! Don't drag me into whatever scam you're running pal ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stick.gif)
I see a couple old friends in those pics of yours (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll drag you, and you'll like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Nov 3 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,860

This is soo current.
Today I won in smalls claim court.
The guy from Compton CA now owes me $10,000.

He scammed me by selling a souped up 1972 914 of which the engine was rebuilt with Nickies cylinders JE pistons and all kinds of other great stuff.
After the car catches fire, I find only AA cylinders and pistons and the rest is crap as well.

Judge agrees with me.
Now.... Even if he pays up (because winning in court does not equal getting paid) I still lose. Because I still do not have the car that I wanted.

caveat emptor
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Nov 3 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #14

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Nov 3 2016, 06:12 PM) *

This is soo current.
Today I won in smalls claim court.
The guy from Compton CA now owes me $10,000.

He scammed me by selling a souped up 1972 914 of which the engine was rebuilt with Nickies cylinders JE pistons and all kinds of other great stuff.
After the car catches fire, I find only AA cylinders and pistons and the rest is crap as well.

Judge agrees with me.
Now.... Even if he pays up (because winning in court does not equal getting paid) I still lose. Because I still do not have the car that I wanted.

caveat emptor

If you know or can find out where he works, you file with the court to garnish his wages. It's slow, but it works. I won in SCC against a guy who blew me off after he lost the case. Then I filed a wage garnishment order, and he called me up to tell me that he never took me seriously until the sheriff showed up at his job. The sheriff filed the paperwork with his employer to deduct money from his paycheck every week until the judgement was paid off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Nov 3 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #15

If you know or can find out where he works, you file with the court to garnish his wages. It's slow, but it works. I won in SCC against a guy who blew me off after he lost the case. Then I filed a wage garnishment order, and he called me up to tell me that he never took me seriously until the sheriff showed up at his job. The sheriff filed the paperwork with his employer to deduct money from his paycheck every week until the judgement was paid off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Wow. Thanks for this tip.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Nov 6 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Nov 3 2016, 06:58 PM) *

Wow. Thanks for this tip.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Hans, any luck with your seller?
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post Nov 6 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 20,199

Wow glad to hear someone is getting their money back from the guy in Compton. I had my car worked on by him motor built to 1911 trans work,brakes shocks/struts and more. $7000 later and I'm now having these items reworked after just 1000 miles.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 6 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #18

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Who is this guy? ... is he a member on this forum?
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Nov 6 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 6 2016, 05:58 PM) *

Who is this guy? ... is he a member on this forum?

Black guy from Compton, name is Glenn. He was selling stuff at the Ron Meier swap meet. Talked with him for awhile, seemed like a nice guy but if a buyer looked at his illegal not permitted because its a residential backyard repair shop in Compton from his ads on Craigslist and that didn't scare them away then i can't feel sorry for them.
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Nov 7 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #20

His name is Glenn Wright.
Also uses the name: NineOneFour.

I did win in court, but now have to chase hime for the money. Getting paid will take a lot of patience on my side. But thats ok, Im only 46 yrs of age. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:36 PM