Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My clutch tube repair, D'OH!
eyesright
post Nov 3 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

My clutch tube looked bad at the firewall...

Attached Image

...but the tube was secure in the tunnel. So I figured I might get away with some JB Weld plugging the firewall......BZZZZT!....WROOOOOONG!....Memories from 42 years ago of my never to be forgotten drill instructor hollering, "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING, ASSBAG??!!!" caused me to assume the position and begin pushups forever.

Once I recovered my confidence I thought I'd offer morning donuts, or afternoon BBQ and several 914 experts would show up with welders and I'd be able to take a drive to happy hour at Sonic drive-in for half price burgers after 5PM.

Then I remembered that this is Oklahoma and it would take more than donuts and beer to lure the experts from the coast to bail me out. So I came up with this little gem...

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 15)
Mikey914
post Nov 3 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Good thing you replaced the fuel line with steel, I'd still be concerned over time it will wear as it's not isolated.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Nov 3 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #3

Attached to the firewall with stainless screws it looked like this...

Attached Image

Then I knew I'd have to re-secure the tube to the tunnel since it broke free after about the third time I shifted with my shoddy, misguided prior repair. Still no accomplished welders showed up so I used two J-bolts, one forward of the shifter and one - pictured here - aft of the shifter.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Nov 3 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #4

So here's the final product, clutch and shift rods hooked up. I did add a rubber grommet for the fuel line (I'll keep an eye on it...thanks for the heads up). It clutches and shifts now....but its still on jack stands so the jury is still out. Should I have another au krappe moment I'll swallow my pride and report so to keep others from following the wrong path.

Attached Image

PS I'll be replacing the fuel line clamp with FI approved clamps that I finally found even tho this is carb-ed.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Nov 3 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No wonder the JB weld did not hold, you forgot to reinforce it wth duct tape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Seriously, given propensity of these tubes to break, I am surprised no one has come up with a reinforcing bracket to help keep it from breaking to begin with. Maybe similar to what you have with a sleeve that slides over the original. Sounds like a job for Tangerine Racing!
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Nov 3 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Nov 3 2016, 03:44 PM) *

No wonder the JB weld did not hold, you forgot to reinforce it wth duct tape. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Seriously, given propensity of these tubes to break, I am surprised no one has come up with a reinforcing bracket to help keep it from breaking to begin with. Maybe similar to what you have with a sleeve that slides over the original. Sounds like a job for Tangerine Racing!

You're right, clutch tubes are a failure waiting to happen...as I found out. If some enterprising 914 shop were to stamp a similar plate out, I'd recommend everyone screw or weld one in place before the tube gives way while travelling to the next Octeenerfest or some similar scenario. I think the welding scares most of us away but surely sheet metal screws should do well while the firewall metal is still sound.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Nov 3 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Mine had a thick plate somewhat larger than yours when i got it, when removing the shifter I noted that the clutch tube had a groove worn into it by the shifter (it was on the WRONG side of the shifter !!
I did a clamp at the forward end fashioned from an electrical tube clamp re-sized for a good fit over the clutch tube, then bolted to the tunnel side.
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 4 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #8

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

That reinforcing bracket is a great idea...even if everything is welded tight already. Inexpensive insurance.

I have a welder and am not afraid to use it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif), but when my clutch tube broke free at the firewall I had some serious reservations about melting metal 2 inches from the fuel line while lying on my back. Fortunately, I'm less than 2 hours away from Chris/Tangerine, so he handled it. But this bracket would've been a great option. And probably something I'd still install now if available!
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Nov 4 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Nov 4 2016, 08:51 AM) *

That reinforcing bracket is a great idea...even if everything is welded tight already. Inexpensive insurance.

I have a welder and am not afraid to use it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif), but when my clutch tube broke free at the firewall I had some serious reservations about melting metal 2 inches from the fuel line while lying on my back. Fortunately, I'm less than 2 hours away from Chris/Tangerine, so he handled it. But this bracket would've been a great option. And probably something I'd still install now if available!

Eyeballing measurements with a 6" ruler and it took the second try to get it to what you see. But once it was made and painted it was a 5 minute installation...drill one hole with the bracket in place and add a screw. Then drill and add the second and its secured. Then drill and add the others.

Of course three or four slides out from under the car to get another tool and reinstalling the clutch cable...ohh that's a pain. But the bracket is cheap, quick and easy.

Duct tape......duct tape....Say that's just what I need to repair the wiring harness snorkel...and, and, even to seal off the speedo cable tube since brand new cables always come with the boot on backwards or something...aaargh.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Nov 4 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 805

Looks like what my Sunnyvale mechanic (Bob Grigsby) did for mine years ago. He secured it so that it could withstand nuclear attack. Only way to go.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 4 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #11

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156

Metal on metal. Wouldn't that cut the tube in half in a short period of time ?
+Quote Post
gtbarnes
post Feb 15 2022, 06:06 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 16,111
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(eyesright @ Nov 4 2016, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Nov 4 2016, 08:51 AM) *

Eyeballing measurements with a 6" ruler and it took the second try to get it to what you see. But once it was made and painted it was a 5 minute installation...drill one hole with the bracket in place and add a screw. Then drill and add the second and its secured. Then drill and add the others.

Of course three or four slides out from under the car to get another tool and reinstalling the clutch cable...ohh that's a pain. But the bracket is cheap, quick and easy.

Duct tape......duct tape....Say that's just what I need to repair the wiring harness snorkel...and, and, even to seal off the speedo cable tube since brand new cables always come with the boot on backwards or something...aaargh.

LOL You are right about the GEMO Spedo cable, boot always on backward! BUT it actually CAN be pulled off and put back on(looks impossible) the right way,(slippery stuff and vice grips) and it fits the speedo tube real nice! A large 1/2 flat washer welded to the tube is a 5 min fix if the firewall isnt torn to badly... then add 1 in tunnel weld/clamp(in the shifter area) to stop firewall flex. The flat washer is also good easy insurance if the tube has not pulled inward yet! (it welds to the tube real easy, no need for a Pro welder)
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Feb 16 2022, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 5,245

Yours is a much nicer, more refined version of my semi-temporary fix.

Before:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Feb 16 2022, 10:47 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,245

After:Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post Feb 16 2022, 11:05 AM
Post #15

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 16 2022, 12:09 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 16 2022, 12:05 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I don't know whether to congratuate you guys for keeping cars on the road by any means necessary or to give you a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) CSOB award. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Put some duct tape or electrical tape over that parking brake cable with the exposed inner core. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

That metal lug that is bent up to support (and chafing) the parking brake cable could use a $1.22 P-clip too!

Attached Image

But I've got to say - good job and great creativity aimed at keeping metal on the road! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:24 PM