Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Distributor condensor wire, Mine is cut, what gives?
post Apr 21 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,334

'74 2.0 liter. Mallory ignition but with points. Noticed the wire from the condensor to the distributor is cut. Car runs fine. Any ideas on this? What do the condensor do?? Is this a problem? New owner to 914's.
Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 21 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The condensor acts as a "shock absorber" to the points, sort of. (Pun not intended.) The large currents that wind up going through the coil can really fry a set of points in short order. The condensor is there to absorb some of that current before it gets to the points, and therefor prolong their life. The points wire goes from the points, to the condensor, and then from the condensor, to the coil. I believe that the circuit goes through the condensor, rather than simply joining at the one "side" of the condensor.

If the wire is simply cut, I don't know why the engine would still run...

--DD
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 22 2005, 04:53 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

far be it from me to contradict Dr Dave, but the condensor is not in series with the points signal. rather, the condensor is also attached to the points, and to ground. the "Shock Absorber" simile is quite apt tho.

CDI ignitions don't use Condensors, since their current draw on the points is low; tell us more about this "Mallory Ignition"
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Apr 22 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,782

Condenser,
I didn't work with points much but Its at the electrical end of the ignition faze. The unit is there to as stated to absorb free electrical energy left over. My tune up teacher taught me the "minus minus minus rule".
If metal is being removed (-) from the negative(-) side of the points, the set up is under(-) condensed. You need a higher rated condenser in the distributor.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) Notice! Yes its useless information
+Quote Post
914GT
post Apr 22 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (drive-ability @ Apr 22 2005, 06:15 PM)
Condenser,
I didn't work with points much but Its at the electrical end of the ignition faze. The unit is there to as stated to absorb free electrical energy left over. My tune up teacher taught me the "minus minus minus rule".
If metal is being removed (-) from the negative(-) side of the points, the set up is under(-) condensed. You need a higher rated condenser in the distributor.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) Notice! Yes its useless information

Now here's some more useless info. You're closer to the right explanation. The word 'condenser' is an old-fashioned term from early days of radio, it's really a capacitor. The cap really doesn't do much to affect the current in the coil. The coil is like a big inductor, and once current gets going through inductance it basically likes to stay that way because there's energy stored in a magnetic field around it. But if that current is stopped abruptly (like when the points open) that magnetic field collapses. Since that energy has to go somewhere, it ends up as a high voltage across the points. This causes arcing which burns the points. The 'condenser' acts to short out the high voltage arcing to protect the points, but this still is a lot like the 'shock absorber' analogy that Dave explained.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 01:41 AM