Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOLD: ’73 914 2.0 with F.I. in MA, SOLD
Bones
post Nov 9 2016, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,744
Region Association: North East States

I am nearly done with reassembling my 912, so my “interim car” has to go. I’d like to be able to put my DD in the garage this winter.

I bought this car from another World member in 2007 and drive it fairly often in the summer months, only once in the rain. I had planned to autocross it frequently, but managed only 1 to 3 events per year, and a total mileage of usually about 1900 to 2500/year. Total mileage is now about 176K. It was originally a Colorado car.

Body: Originally silver, now some kind of metallic grey. The paint looks good from 20 feet, but has lots of little scratches and a few “holidays”. The car was apparently hit and repaired once in the LR corner, which shows from inside the trunk, but not outside. It is a solid car, with almost no rust beyond surface rust in places that seem to have original paint (frunk, etc.) This car was a Colorado car until [Edit: sometime between 2001 and 2005]. There is apparently some rust under the vinyl on the sail panels and some bubbling at the passenger side lock post. Non-original, heavy duty battery tray. Pin-holes above the muffler POR-15’d by PO. The longs were replaced by a previous owner and are in excellent shape. Rear fenders have been “rolled” slightly.

Engine: Professionally rebuilt at 122K, with Euro pistons (8:1). (I have the paperwork.) SSI heat exchangers in very good shape. I’ve wired a resistor into the cht sensor to compensate for the ethanol. Works great, except a little sluggish at first on a cold day. Runs strong when warmed up! Burns & drips a small amount of oil, but has relatively new PR tube seals, which do not leak. Oil pressure: 35+ on a warm cruise. (Has the CFR oil temp bypass repair valve.)

Suspension: Stiff!! Paperwork shows 22mm torsion bars and 180#/in springs. I didn’t measure any of it, but it sure feels like it. It does have 4 old school adjustable Konis. Also a 22mm adjustable front old-school Weltmeister anti-sway bar & stock rear bar. I do have extra castor & negative camber adjusted in. 2-year-old DiRezza Z2s on the Fuchs. Tire wear is acceptable and it handles great!

Brakes & hubs: Stock, except front hubs have long studs, to accommodate spacers. Plenty of long & short wheel bolts come with the car. New 19mm M/C this year. 5 original 4-lug Fuchs. (The spare seems to have a cracked rim—holds air though.)

Extra Stuff: one set of (bare) 8-spoke alloys, one set of J.C. Whitney steel VW wheels (with street legal but hard DiRezza Z1s), extra brake calipers, front rotor, exhaust pipes w/o heater boxes and a mostly disassembled, but partially seized 2L engine. (At this price, I’d like to keep the rev limiter and the fire extinguisher.)

Interior: Not perfect, but very good shape. Console with calibrated oil temp, oil pressure and volt meter. Dash is not cracked. Roof to windshield seal does leak.

Overall: A completely reliable car. Everything works. The only time it won’t start is when it has been left for a couple of weeks in a cold garage in the winter. And then it only needs its battery charged. It has its imperfections; so I prefer to sell to someone who will come see it and drive it, although PPIs are welcome. At this point, I am looking for a local sale. I think this is a very good deal at $5,000. Payment by bank check cleared by my bank. I’ve listed it only here first, but will list on my local craigslist in a week or so.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 9 2016, 10:42 AM
Post #2

More pics to follow, especially if I can re-size them.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 9 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #3

a couple more:

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 9 2016, 10:56 AM
Post #4

I can send more pics if requested by PM.

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 9 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #5

Seats are very good.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 10 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #6

Best I can do on the hell hole, because of the "heavy duty custom" battery tray. You can see the frame below though.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 10 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #7

Door gaps
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Nov 10 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,484
Region Association: Northern California

wow - I looked at 914's out west and this seems like a good price - should go fast.
+Quote Post
MobsTTa
post Nov 10 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 19,180

pics of left rear?
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 10 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Here is the part where the damage shows.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 10 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #11

....and the outside
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Racer
post Nov 11 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If this car was in Md when you bought it, I may have trst driven it when I was looking for another 914. Drove well (strong motor) but back then I was picky on appearance so I passed. At 5K, seems like a good deal! glwts.
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 12 2016, 06:38 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 11 2016, 06:08 PM) *

If this car was in Md when you bought it, I may have trst driven it when I was looking for another 914. Drove well (strong motor) but back then I was picky on appearance so I passed. At 5K, seems like a good deal! glwts.

Thanks Dave. Yes, I bought this car from Maryland, and it does have plenty of little flaws & scratches in the paint. But I've had lots of complements on its appearance from people standing 15 - 20' away. I can take it to the supermarket though, and not worry about it while I shop. BTW, I'll bet it has a stronger motor now that I've put that "compensator" resistor in the CHT circuit. I hate to sell it, but I have too much mechanical stuff; and all of it is pretty old (and I am now 66). I really need to concentrate on getting the 912 (owned since '82) back together.

-Jim
+Quote Post
frostyf
post Nov 13 2016, 10:37 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,168

Jim,
I am interested and have forwarded a pm. Regards, Nick F
+Quote Post
Bones
post Nov 15 2016, 10:07 AM
Post #15

All PMs have been replied to. I am still hoping for a local(ish) sale, with inspection by the buyer and any checks cleared; but I am saving the info from those distant interested folks, to contact them (in order) if no local buyer comes forward. So at this point, the car is still available.

-Jim
+Quote Post
brubou
post Nov 16 2016, 10:42 AM
Post #16

Bruce Bouchard

Member No.: 19,716

Interested also, pm sent
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:39 AM