Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 conversion cars, Public service announcement
Marv's3.6six
post Nov 13 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #21

Actual member 7"

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,165
Region Association: Southern California

Interesting... wow.

I had a weird tach issue that was the opposite of this problem. My 3.2 tach would only "kind of" work with my 3.6 engine, the tach needle was slow and lazy, would lag behind the engine by about one second... fricken drove me nuts.

Blowing up ECU's, thats bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Nov 13 2016, 12:23 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So the question I have is what are people I swing to convert the stock 4cyl tachs to 6cyl pre 3.2s?
+Quote Post
post Nov 13 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Nov 13 2016, 11:13 AM) *

Interesting... wow.

I had a weird tach issue that was the opposite of this problem. My 3.2 tach would only "kind of" work with my 3.6 engine, the tach needle was slow and lazy, would lag behind the engine by about one second... fricken drove me nuts.

Blowing up ECU's, thats bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

My understanding is with a 3.6, sometimes a 3.2 will work. Best is to source a 3.6 tach and or take it to North Hollywood Speedo for a conversion.. That's what I did...with a OEM RSR tach to convert to accommodate the new electronic. I'm sure there's other options like simply plug in a 3.6 tach- but it will not look vintage. To each its own.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 13 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Isn't one tach electronic (3.2) and all the older ones electric ?
SC 3.0 tachs are an exception as they are low voltage output and the early are high voltage output,but they operate in a similar way.
Surely an Ashlocktech tach-adapt would sort this issue,I have been working with Bob directly and find him super helpful,he has basically given all the specs for a great ignition set-up.
Mark I would be happy to contact him and run it past him,his unit is very versatile and has a great rep for reliability unlike the MSD unit.
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Nov 13 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #25

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

QUOTE(396 @ Nov 13 2016, 11:58 AM) *

My understanding is with a 3.6, sometimes a 3.2 will work. Best is to source a 3.6 tach and or take it to North Hollywood Speedo for a conversion.. That's what I did...with a OEM RSR tach to convert to accommodate the new electronic. I'm sure there's other options like simply plug in a 3.6 tach- but it will not look vintage. To each its own.

That was my understanding also, and to be fair the tach did work, but very slow to react. However my 3.6 has a light flywheel and revs up very quick. The tach pictured was built for me by NHSpeedo and required a 964 movement.... an expensive proposition. This conversion took significant time and energy as NHSpeedo had to do what they call the "Singer" modification.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914dave
post Nov 13 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #26

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

Mark
Thanks for the heads up. Just drug out my dash and checked the part # on the tach i bought for my conversion. Turns out, I got lucky and bought a 3.2 tach. one less worry.
Dave
+Quote Post
larryM
post Nov 16 2016, 05:15 PM
Post #27

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

WOW - thanks!

curiously - Steve never raised the issue when i b'ot the chip a couple months ago - and he knew it was going in a 914-6

has anyone yet checked to see if NHS or PAS can put new 3.2 guts in our older tachs? - at what price?

last nite i b'ot the only used 3.2 tach on ebay from msroadrace -
expensive but half the price of replacing my 28-pin 082 DME with Wong chip in it - - call it insurance

fwiw - currently running oem 911/914-6 tach that is orig'l to car; it's been fine with the 3.2 for 3 yrs, but not many miles, nor sustained high rpm like we'd do on track-

i have 2 good spare 3.2 DME's as well - looks i can let one go now!

, (and dump the spare SC tach as well - sounds like it is useless with the 3.2 DME)

wiring diagram for 3.2 tach here
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...tml#post3972081

p.s. - here is a good link from one of our colleagues http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...lity-chart.html

to wit:

"5. 1978-1983 Tachs. These are driven from the "TD" tachometer drive output from the six-pin CDI box because the points were eliminated in favor of a magnetic reluctor. According to the following thread, the SC tach signal is the same as the later Motronic:SC Thread

6. 1984-1989 Tachs. These are driven from the Motronic box. Chris Bennett posted the Motronic signal here: Motronic Thread"
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 12:30 AM