Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911 Tachometer schematic
timothy_nd28
post Nov 20 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have been helping Mepstein with some of his 911 core tachometers. It was needed to keep these original, so updating the tach drive was not an option. After searching the web I failed to find anything relevant, I even came across a few schematics that were wrong (they drew it with PNP transistors). It seems that VDO was tight lipped about publishing anything about the internal workings.

My uncle reversed engineered the VDO tachometer, and even found suitable replacement components as some these 1970's parts are obsolete. This model is proven to work with the TINA Spice program, which I can't seem to post the file to share, so PM me and I can email it if you want to play with it. I'm hoping this may clear things up and help others with fixing their own tachs.

Attached Image

Original transistors Q1,Q2, and Q3 are BC170D, and are obsolete. Simulation with TINA uses 2N2222A, which works great as these are excellent general purpose replacements. The inductor L1 is shown as 10mH, just to have some value. I did not measure it and do not know what its inductance is. It is used to filter the current so the needle does not bounce as much. I do no have a part number or value for the thermistor (TH1). It has a resistance of about 50 ohms (green-black) at 25C (room temperature).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RenoRoger
post Nov 25 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,370
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Nov 20 2016, 05:53 PM) *

I have been helping Mepstein with some of his 911 core tachometers. It was needed to keep these original, so updating the tach drive was not an option. After searching the web I failed to find anything relevant, I even came across a few schematics that were wrong (they drew it with PNP transistors). It seems that VDO was tight lipped about publishing anything about the internal workings.

My uncle reversed engineered the VDO tachometer, and even found suitable replacement components as some these 1970's parts are obsolete. This model is proven to work with the TINA Spice program, which I can't seem to post the file to share, so PM me and I can email it if you want to play with it. I'm hoping this may clear things up and help others with fixing their own tachs.

Attached Image

Original transistors Q1,Q2, and Q3 are BC170D, and are obsolete. Simulation with TINA uses 2N2222A, which works great as these are excellent general purpose replacements. The inductor L1 is shown as 10mH, just to have some value. I did not measure it and do not know what its inductance is. It is used to filter the current so the needle does not bounce as much. I do no have a part number or value for the thermistor (TH1). It has a resistance of about 50 ohms (green-black) at 25C (room temperature).

Can a VDO 911 tach be used on a 914/4 and vice versa?

RenoRoger
'73 914/2.0
'76 912E
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 25 2016, 12:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

[quote name='RenoRoger' date='Nov 26 2016, 07:49 AM' post='2427091']
[quote name='timothy_nd28' post='2425377' date='Nov 20 2016, 05:53 PM']

Attached Image

Can a VDO 911 tach be used on a 914/4 and vice versa?

RenoRoger
'73 914/2.0
'76 912E
[/quote]

Yes but you will need a tach adaptor,these can be set to work with a multitude of combinations.
Go to this site ashlocktech.com
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 25 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Best to use the 911 for the six cylinders only.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Nov 25 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes, you can use a 914 tach for a six cylinder. You would need to change the value of C4 and maybe R8, these two components sets the timing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:26 AM