Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Left Side Ignition, converting your dash
Mark Henry
post Jan 17 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #81

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 16 2017, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 4 2016, 11:25 AM) *

911 columns 69-73

Just in case anyone was wondering why a 74 or later column will not work here is a photo. The length difference is about 2 inches. The 73 column will be 8.75 inches long

So you can't mod a /4 column even if you have the fab skills? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I said I wasn't going to do it, but I found the turn and wiper switches in my stash and a friend is sending me an ignition switch.
I thought I had a /6 column, couldn't find it and it's off of a '76 anyways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Looks like I'm collecting parts for next winter's project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 18 2017, 06:16 AM
Post #82

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 17 2017, 07:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 16 2017, 07:25 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 4 2016, 11:25 AM) *

911 columns 69-73

Just in case anyone was wondering why a 74 or later column will not work here is a photo. The length difference is about 2 inches. The 73 column will be 8.75 inches long

So you can't mod a /4 column even if you have the fab skills? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I said I wasn't going to do it, but I found the turn and wiper switches in my stash and a friend is sending me an ignition switch.
I thought I had a /6 column, couldn't find it and it's off of a '76 anyways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Looks like I'm collecting parts for next winter's project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I am receiving my column and ignition today.. Bought it really cheap though off a 75.. I am trying determine how I can mod it to work..
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 18 2017, 07:39 AM
Post #83

that's what I do!

That's why I'm asking if you can just fab and add brackets, plus relocate the lock hole, to the existing /4 column? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I don't care about correctness, my car is a '74 conversion and besides you can't see the column anyways.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 18 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #84

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 18 2017, 05:39 AM) *

That's why I'm asking if you can just fab and add brackets, plus relocate the lock hole, to the existing /4 column? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I don't care about correctness, my car is a '74 conversion and besides you can't see the column anyways.

I just received mine today.. It looks very similar to what I am seeing in pictures on this thread..

Bad news is the ignition switch came with no key.. Good news paid 75 for it and the column and wiring harnesses shipped..
+Quote Post
tweet
post Jan 20 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 15,579
Region Association: South East States

Hello All,
We are trying to date when certain changes occurred in this style of ignition lock. Here is something that's been puzzling us for a while. We know all about the mechanics of the 911/914-6 style ignition switch from its earliest iteration on the early 911/912 with the steering lock option. Those pre-1970 steering locks came keyed to an "FL' profile key. They also had spade connectors on the electrical switch and did not have the small white buzzer contact switch. They also have the shaved end on the locking bolt end (no provision/recess for the security bolt).

So, we have always assumed the next generation of the 911 switch (1970 on), which comes with a HC/NC key profile, always came with the buzzer contact switch. Well, this is not the case. We have one that does not have the provision for the buzzer contact switch. The casing is blocked off; no hole.

So, which models/years did not have a buzzer contact switch?

Also:
When did the face of the lock cylinder change from a stainless steel cap to a black painted face?

Last question:
Did all 914-6 ignition switches come with the buzzer contact switch or was there a change from one model year to the next?

Kudos to those that can answer these correctly. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Jan 20 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

I'm sure that it can be converted especially someone with your skills Mark. Because you already the 76 column that probably is your best bet. If you look at Andy's original thread he fabricated his own brackets and with the column positioned optimally in the car he welded them in place.

There is really no correct year it is only about the easiest path

David
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Jan 21 2017, 01:44 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

QUOTE(tweet @ Jan 20 2017, 05:55 PM) *

Hello All,
We are trying to date when certain changes occurred in this style of ignition lock. Here is something that's been puzzling us for a while. We know all about the mechanics of the 911/914-6 style ignition switch from its earliest iteration on the early 911/912 with the steering lock option. Those pre-1970 steering locks came keyed to an "FL' profile key. They also had spade connectors on the electrical switch and did not have the small white buzzer contact switch. They also have the shaved end on the locking bolt end (no provision/recess for the security bolt).

So, we have always assumed the next generation of the 911 switch (1970 on), which comes with a HC/NC key profile, always came with the buzzer contact switch. Well, this is not the case. We have one that does not have the provision for the buzzer contact switch. The casing is blocked off; no hole.

So, which models/years did not have a buzzer contact switch?

Also:
When did the face of the lock cylinder change from a stainless steel cap to a black painted face?

Last question:
Did all 914-6 ignition switches come with the buzzer contact switch or was there a change from one model year to the next?

Kudos to those that can answer these correctly. Thanks.

Hi Tweet, this is not going to answer your questions definitely but this is what I have observed down the years

Ignition buzzer. I think (note think) is a USA v ROW thing. My UK spec 72 911 (same lock) does not have a buzzer, nor do any of the other original Euro cars that I have observed or ridden in

914s and especially sixes are very thin on the ground here and nearly all are imports, so checking them out as a reference is a bit pointless. Indeed no Euro car I have ever driven since age 17 has a buzzer

That said from a production perspective having two stocks of buzzer / no buzzer switches seem like a bit of a PITA, just stock buzzer switches but don't hook it up if its Euro and not required

Ignition lock face. My logic says that this would have changed at the same time as satin black window surrounds and headlamp rings, so what 75?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 21 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #88

that's what I do!

Just got a deal on a 69-73 column from my buddy who's sending me the ignition switch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Only thing is the switch doesn't have keys, didn't someone say there's a trick to getting the tumbler out?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 22 2017, 07:29 AM
Post #89

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 21 2017, 04:54 PM) *

Just got a deal on a 69-73 column from my buddy who's sending me the ignition switch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Only thing is the switch doesn't have keys, didn't someone say there's a trick to getting the tumbler out?

Yup just did it Mark on the one I got.. If you look just below the threaded portion for the bezel there is pin that needs to be removed. If your looking at the lock head on with the column lock pointing to the right it would be about the 2 o'clock position. I drilled a small drill right next to the pin and used a sharpened tungsten from my TIG machine to remove the pin.. It pops out easily once you get it to move.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 22 2017, 08:15 AM
Post #90

that's what I do!

Thanks Ben. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 22 2017, 09:05 AM
Post #91

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 22 2017, 06:15 AM) *

Np.. If you need pictures let me know .. I think I googled it and found a very old world thread that had pictures.. Had I not seen them no way would I have seen it..

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 28 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #92

that's what I do!

Here's my collection so far :
I just got the ignition switch ('83 SC) and column ('69-'73 not sure of year) for free (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
The switch is challenged as the mounting screws have been cut off and it has no key.
But hey! I can't beat the price (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Well not exactly free, a good buddy and I trade parts, his junk for my junk. I gave him my old /6 weber vents and some other IDA weber parts I had. It always works out in the wash.

I had the turn and wiper switches in my stash, they're off of a '76.

Do I need the switch wiring harness? damn... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Not going to worry about this project this year, I'd be happy just getting my 914 on the road, this is for next winters project.
I'll pick up the dash piece from RD at this summers open house.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 28 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #93

914 Guru

If you flip the switch with the key portion facing downward. You should be able to use a regular straight blade screw driver to thread out the broken fasteners..
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 28 2017, 08:59 AM
Post #94

that's what I do!

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 28 2017, 09:54 AM) *

If you flip the switch with the key portion facing downward. You should be able to use a regular straight blade screw driver to thread out the broken fasteners..

They have also cut one of the back of the screws off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

No biggie getting them out...just some time.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 28 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #95

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 28 2017, 06:59 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 28 2017, 09:54 AM) *

They have also cut one of the back of the screws off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

No biggie getting them out...just some time.

In the blind through holes?

Either way good find. I paid 75 for my set up and I had to do a little welding on it as someone had smashed it a bit with a hammer and I also have a later column so I need to find an early column still with switches..

+Quote Post
Harpo
post Jan 28 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #96

Mark, mine were the same way. Mine came right out with a LH twist drill bit
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 28 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I have a couple of early ignition switches for sale in the for sale threads that I think would work for this.

Just thought I'd mention it.....
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 28 2017, 11:38 PM
Post #98

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 28 2017, 01:09 PM) *

Mark, mine were the same way. Mine came right out with a LH twist drill bit

Yep that's the plan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 28 2017, 03:17 PM) *

I have a couple of early ignition switches for sale in the for sale threads that I think would work for this.

Just thought I'd mention it.....

Not for same price as I got mine for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 31 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #99

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 21 2017, 07:54 PM) *

How to remove the tumbler for rekeying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ion-re-key.html
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Feb 19 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #100

It appears that the 914 & 911 column are very similar. The lugs are certainly different between the 914 & 911. Has anyone confirmed if everything else is the same. Same goes for the lower bearing, they appear to be interchangeable.

Thanks

David
Attached Image
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:52 AM