Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem starting- carb, distributor? Video included
tornik550
post Nov 27 2016, 11:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

On my 2.7 /6 I am having an issue starting my engine. It makes a scary noise when cranking the starter. The engine does start after a few tries.

I have dual Weber IDA 3c that have been completely rebuilt. The engine runs fine after starting however a bit on the rich side. I have a 123ignition distributor and I am trying to figure out the correct advance curve. I know that if the ignition is too advanced you can get an issue like this. I have tried setting the advance to 2 degrees at 500rpm and 10 at 1000rpm- the sound is worse. The video is when I had the distributor set at 2 at 200rpm and 6 at 1000 which I really doubt is too advanced. Also- it was pretty cold outside- about 25f.

https://youtu.be/gBjkq23ZDrQ

Also- what kind of muffler do I have? I normally use an MK muffler but I needed something fairly quite while I am getting my car dialed in. I have been irritating my neighbors quite a bit.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmill
post Nov 27 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #2

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It think you need to advance your timing. That noise might be the cylinder firing when the piston is already on the downstroke.

I'd try 10 to 12 degrees BTC at idle and before.

You'll know when you're too far advanced. You'll get a pop through carb and the engine will want to turn backwards.
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Nov 28 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 27 2016, 01:35 PM) *

It think you need to advance your timing. That noise might be the cylinder firing when the piston is already on the downstroke.

I'd try 10 to 12 degrees BTC at idle and before.

You'll know when you're too far advanced. You'll get a pop through carb and the engine will want to turn backwards.

I upped the advance to 12 degrees at idle and the noise got worse. I then decreased the advance to 6 at idle and now the engine seems pretty happy. It looks like I was just too advanced (haven't heard that statement too many times in my life).
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 28 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Did you zero calibrate the distributor? Which is to say, did you use a timing light to confirm that the distributor advance and reality are matching?
+Quote Post
jmill
post Nov 28 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #5

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So your timing is set at 6 degrees after top dead center? If so, something is wrong there. Even at idle you should be before top dead center. The flame front takes time to move across the cylinder. Like Mark suggests, verify what you think you have is actually what you do have.
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Nov 28 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #6

Sorry, I was not clear. It is 6 degrees before tdc.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:54 AM