Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Synthetic or Regular Blinker Fluid
Synthetic or Regular Blinker Fluid
Which blinker fluid do you run in your 914?
Synthetic Blinker Fluid (I believe in the new technology) [ 14 ] ** [21.54%]
Regular Blinker Fluid (Our cars were designed for this older fluid) [ 23 ] ** [35.38%]
50/50 Blend of Synthetic/Regular Blinker Fluid (I want the best of both worlds) [ 6 ] ** [9.23%]
I don't use my blinkers, so I don't need the fluid. [ 22 ] ** [33.85%]
Total Votes: 65
Guests cannot vote 
dflesburg
post Dec 3 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,896
Region Association: None

my blinkers are operated mechanically with wire and switches. none of that hydraulic crap back in the day... even my parking brake, throttle and clutch are cables.
shift rod is not cables.

its all very confusing I know, but its okay.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Dec 3 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #22

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Really? This is why my blinkers don't work? I had no idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Where's the friggin' dipstick?
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Dec 3 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

If your blinkers blink too fast use a heavier weight of blinker fluid
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Dec 4 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,984

Don't spill that stuff on your paint it turns to rust!
+Quote Post
sb914
post Dec 4 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #25

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

I replaced my muffler bearing, now my blinkers work fine.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Dec 4 2016, 09:43 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 17,743

My blinker fluid is fine, it's everyone else's...
+Quote Post
amfab
post Dec 4 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 20,004

Because of the impact on the California Brown Pelican—see below—as of 2015, it is illegal to manufacture traditional oil based blinker fluids (TOBBF) in California. California is now a Synthetic Blinker Fluid Only state (SBFOS). Currently it is only illegal to manufacture TOBBFs, but use and sale of TOBBFs is permitted until 2025. This is when it will be illegal to even have TOBBFs in your car. The reason for the delay is to allow California time to set up the infrastructure needed to inspect cars for proper blinker fluid. The State is considering legislation to raise the state sales tax to 12% in order to pay for the estimated 763 blinker fluid test stations that will be needed.

The problem with Synthetic Based Blinker Fluids (SBBF) is that the gaskets for bulbs and lense covers manufactured prior to 1977 will degrade rapidly when using SBBFs. Replacement modern gaskets are expensive, so for now, many of us are still using TOBBFs. It is available in some auto parts stores, but because of limited availability TOBBFs run 10 to 15 times the price of SBBFs and it is expected to go even higher. A black market has sprung up and many have driven to Las Vegas or Phoenix just to have fluid topped up. California bill AB2453BF creates additional funding for border agricultural check stations to increase staffing to inspect for those brazen enough to try to sneak some hidden fluid in their vehicles.

Those of you in the rest of the country should be thankful your state is not a SBFOS. Eventually it will come to all. Politicians have introduced Federal legislation regarding prohibition of TOBBFs, but “S OP T E BL NK NG”, an anti-TOBBF advocacy group sees the election of Donald Trump as a signal—although an intermittent one—to the Blinker Fluid Industry as a green light to continue manufacturing TOBBFs for years to come.

The impact on Pelicans: Leaking blinker fluid on roadways washes into storm drains and makes its way to sea. Pelicans and whales, having the largest eyelids of most mammals in coastal regions are more susceptible to excessive blinking than other animals. Whales are relatively unaffected because of their slow speeds. Excessive blinking raises the incidence of mid-air collisions among Pelicans’ to unsustainable levels. See attached photo.

I must say that it is dismaying to see that people are selling used TOBBF online in classified forums without regard to these majestic birds. It is especially egregious and ironic that it is not banned on one particular site that I will not name here.

-Andrew

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 4 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20004-1480875035.jpg)

Maybe if that online website would quit dismantling the pelicans and selling their parts there might be more of those left in the wild.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 4 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 3 2016, 05:40 PM) *

Just not the same since the DOT banned the importation of blue blinker fluid.

No worries George, I just bought the last bottle of OEM 914 blue blinker fluid in existence. Stored in a vault since 1970 at the perfect temperature in an air-tight container. Got it off the internet so it has to be true. Think I have enough left for your yellow car. Doubt the signals would even work with that newfangled stuff in it!
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Dec 4 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #30

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438

I trust the genius of the OEM designers. None of that new-fangled stuff in my car.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Dec 4 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 13,770

I use water, but it does leak at all four corners. Need new blinker seals....Best, Mark
+Quote Post
mankowski
post Dec 4 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 11,335
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think this is the best stuff to use, but I am unsure if it is sillycone or not. Anyone else know?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RickS
post Dec 5 2016, 06:41 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 5,880

Tried the synthetic stuff and the increased lubrication made my blinkers go into hyper-blink, like a bad relay. They also developed a slow leak due to their long molecular chains. Switched back to dino and Topped off with Marvel Mystery Oil and I am good for another 5K miles. Also did the filter change.

Why in the hell is no one talking about their filters?
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Dec 5 2016, 06:58 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

My regular blinker fluid kept freezing up, even in the summer (I'm in Canada), so I switched to the synthetic. Haven't had a problem since.

I would normally reply that adding alcohol to the cheaper, regular blinker fluid will will prevent freezing - I use water and alcohol in my 914 radiator, cheaper than antifreeze - and you don't have to go to the more expensive stuff. But I read on the internet that the regular stuff will be priced out of reach due to new California regs,...something about pelicans and whales and I bet they throw snail darters and even snipes in there too so maybe you are on top of things afterall. Got any snow yet?
+Quote Post
mobymutt
post Dec 5 2016, 07:10 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 16,770
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(eyesright @ Dec 5 2016, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

My regular blinker fluid kept freezing up, even in the summer (I'm in Canada), so I switched to the synthetic. Haven't had a problem since.

I would normally reply that adding alcohol to the cheaper, regular blinker fluid will will prevent freezing - I use water and alcohol in my 914 radiator, cheaper than antifreeze - and you don't have to go to the more expensive stuff. But I read on the internet that the regular stuff will be priced out of reach due to new California regs,...something about pelicans and whales and I bet they throw snail darters and even snipes in there too so maybe you are on top of things afterall. Got any snow yet?

2 or 3 inches last night! Blinker fluid is actually less critical in the winter, since nobody can see the blinkers under the snow anyway.
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Dec 5 2016, 07:26 AM
Post #36

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

"Why in the hell is no one talking about their filters?"
well...that is because it depends if you have the late or the early blinkers AND do not forget that we in Europe (known to you as ROW seen from USA side) never had the blinkerfilters except in Italy because of that driving light law.
i have an usa import 914 here in Holland and it is really hard to find the filters here. I heared it was easy to make them using that fishtank stuff they also use to refill the charcoal filter, but i am not sure....
+Quote Post
TX914
post Dec 5 2016, 07:28 AM
Post #37

Alan-B

Member No.: 17,689

Anyone know if it’s ok to use multi-weight fluid? I check the owner’s manual but it really doesn’t say.
As for the synthetic stuff, I’m afraid if I switch to synthetic my blinkers will develop leaks!
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Dec 5 2016, 08:23 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Did you know the earliest uses of what later became blinker fluid was to stabilize the flames in lanterns used on horsedrawn carriages in London in the 1830's...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tooth.gif)
+Quote Post
Beach914
post Dec 5 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 11,519

I've heard that the new synthetics don't have enough ZDDP (zinc) to prevent premature wear of the blinkers. I'm using a racing dinosaur version with the straight 50W weight.
I don't want to risk wearing out my blinkers. I have been researching some new fluids with the ZDTP additive that reacts faster and allows your blinkers to blink faster.

More updates on this in the future as I research it further.
+Quote Post
914dave
post Dec 5 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #40

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262

I don't know why this subject keeps coming up? Search is your friend! Btw. Synthetic is the only way to go.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:29 AM