Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Removing section of the wiring loom
JFG
post Dec 4 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

As I'm fitting twin 40 IDF's I have no need for the missing fi system including the extra wiring that would go to the relay board in the engine bay.

Is there a straightforward way to remove the no longer needed section of loom, either by rerouting bits that may be needed elsewhere or simply removing altogether?

1974 2.0
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 4 2016, 02:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Theres a 4 pin plug on the relay board pull that out with associated wiring,thats that gone ,then proceed to the tech article section on here and jumper an earth off the relay board so you can run your low pressure pump through the existing FI relay,this is the best and only way to go.
Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
JFG
post Dec 4 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #3

There was no relay board in the engine compartment when i bought the car. All i have is the wiring on the main loom with the multi pin plug on the end.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 4 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(JFG @ Dec 4 2016, 03:03 PM) *

There was no relay board in the engine compartment when i bought the car. All i have is the wiring on the main loom with the multi pin plug on the end.

You'll need the *relay* board. Also, voltage regulator anyone?
http://www.914world.com/specs/SirAndyCarbFuelPumpRelay.php
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 4 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(JFG @ Dec 4 2016, 05:03 PM) *

I have tested relay boards and voltage regulators. PM me for details. If I can get them in a padded envelope the shipping will be about $26. I would want $65 for a relay board, relays, and voltage regulator.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 4 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

You need the board, voltage regulator, and some of the relays, as well as an engine wiring harness. Bruce's offer is a very fair deal.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Dec 4 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(JFG @ Dec 4 2016, 05:03 PM) *

I have tested relay boards and voltage regulators. PM me for details. If I can get them in a padded envelope the shipping will be about $26. I would want $65 for a relay board, relays, and voltage regulator.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 5 2016, 01:06 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(JFG @ Dec 5 2016, 12:03 PM) *

Wow that changes the game.....best to research before then we would know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ,so much info out there and on here,Bruces offer is very generous go for it.
Best to research your carb install as theres many wrong ways and a few right ways,if not you will be disappointed ,good luck.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Dec 5 2016, 11:08 AM
Post #9

So it would appear i need to do some reinstatement work that had at some point been removed.

A little digging around and i found a diagram showing how to jump the relay board to allow the use of the existing original fuel pump wires ( which i'll run up to the front where the new pump is going be be fitted) and make use of the voltage regulator to avoid having to wire in a custom installation.

Thanks for the help, Bruce as per my pm i'll be in touch shortly to arrange this and some other bits.

If it wasn't for this forum i'd be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:11 PM