Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Found 914/6 Value Help Please
Karguy12
post Dec 9 2016, 03:41 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,656
Region Association: None

I was able to get to see the parts stash for the car stored at a different location. Here are the engine and trans numbers. The trans looks restamped to me, but I am not expert. Font looks smaller than all others I have seen on Porsche transmissions. The trans did have the side shift pieces though and was supposed to be the one that came out of the car. It was converted to accept a larger clutch. Seat belts did NOT have retractors, passenger seat was non-adjustable. Gauges were out of the dash and in a box but looked correct for the 914/6. Airbox was there, they could not find the heat exchangers there. I am going back on Monday to take a closer look at the body.

I am not yet convinced.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Dec 9 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

That is a 6 case type number. Not sure about the tranny stampings but the six did not come originally with a side shift although the original tail shift could have been converted.

Look at all the people following this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Lots of people interested in that engine serial number I am sure!! Good luck
+Quote Post
Karguy12
post Dec 9 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Dec 9 2016, 04:54 PM) *

That is a 6 case type number. Not sure about the tranny stampings but the six did not come originally with a side shift although the original tail shift could have been converted.

Look at all the people following this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Lots of people interested in that engine serial number I am sure!! Good luck

I have given my word that I will not release any numbers from this car. It has always been my position that that information is not mine to give like someone else's social security number or a hot girls phone number. I have appreciated that nobody has asked.

The Engine number codes out to be a correct early USA Engine code for a 1970 914/6. The VIN to the car does NOT appear in any registry, so if you were hoping this might be your engine, sorry, not likely as it has been sitting in this warehouse for about 30 years. If anyone has a specific VIN for their car and want to ask I will give you a yes or no answer.

On the side shift, thing, I misspoke and it is the bracketry for the throttle linkage from what I was told.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 9 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It does have the appropriate bracket for a -6 throttle cable on the transmission. Show a photo of the other side of the transmission to determine if it's an original -6 transmission or from a -4. However, like mine, it may have been converted to a side shifting transmission.

If the engine has the original large plastic air cleaner, it will not fit with the rain tray on the engine lid.
+Quote Post
Karguy12
post Dec 9 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 9 2016, 06:22 PM) *

It does have the appropriate bracket for a -6 throttle cable on the transmission. Show a photo of the other side of the transmission to determine if it's an original -6 transmission or from a -4. However, like mine, it may have been converted to a side shifting transmission.

If the engine has the original large plastic air cleaner, it will not fit with the rain tray on the engine lid.

I am wondering if the car may have had a rear clip installed. I will check for evidence of repair there and other engine mounts next time I am over there.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Dec 9 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

914-6 transmission have a number on the bottom fin that starts 750xxxx.
The xxxx will be real close to the Karman number stamped in the center of the rear trunk.
That number starts 13xxxx
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 9 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #27

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

and the trams ear is broke off
+Quote Post
Karguy12
post Dec 9 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 9 2016, 08:14 PM) *

and the trams ear is broke off

Yes, I saw that. It got dropped and broken off, but there is another end case with the car.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 9 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #29

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(smg914 @ Dec 9 2016, 08:28 AM) *

I see that it has a 914-4 engine lid drip pan.

I'm not sure where you are in Florida, but Steve & I are in Tampa. Not trying to brag, but I would say that we have a Expert Opinion on 914-6s. We are willing to help without undermining any deal you might have.

I might even know of the car!

+Quote Post
Karguy12
post Dec 9 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #30

Can anyone tell me what a 914/6 engine and trans may be worth needing rebuild and assembly?? Has heads, carbs, intakes, virtually everything.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Dec 9 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #31

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Very simply, knowledge is power, take T.C. up on his offer. I don't know him, but he's been around here a little while, enough so to probably trust implicitly... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

It could be a great deal, so is the education that may come along with it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Fitton
post Dec 9 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 9 2016, 04:17 PM) *

914-6 transmission have a number on the bottom fin that starts 750xxxx.
The xxxx will be real close to the Karman number stamped in the center of the rear trunk.
That number starts 13xxxx

The Karman number in the rear trunk should match the number in the drivers side door jam.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 9 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #33

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Karguy12 @ Dec 9 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Can anyone tell me what a 914/6 engine and trans may be worth needing rebuild and assembly?? Has heads, carbs, intakes, virtually everything.

Not much--EXCEPT to someone with the 914-6 that it came out of. (Worth somewhere in between to someone with a 914-6 wanting an engine/trans at least of the correct type.) The 914-6 motor was basically a 1969 911T motor, AKA the wimpiest 911 motor ever produced. And a rebuild on it is nearly as expensive as a rebuild on a much higher-powered and better-regarded engine, so demand for them is relatively low.

--DD
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Dec 9 2016, 11:18 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

The Karman number in the rear trunk should match the number in the drivers side door jam.

Not necessarily. . The Karman tag on my original Six has no number stamped. . only the 2 digit paint code.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 9 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #35

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Soundd like youve hit the jackpot. As long as rust isnr too bad. You can spend 10k ( a rebuild) on an engine pretty easily. Work backwards to determine your value. 80k ish on a nice sorted car, 25k on paint snd motor if no real issues. Plan on anoter 5k for fudge, easily will put you at 40k. If you can get a better deal great. But the real question is are you in the ballpark?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 10 2016, 03:23 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 9 2016, 05:51 PM) *

If the owner does not think it is a real six let him put a number on what he thinks it is worth. Might be a a lot less than what they go for. As Andy said it need a much closer look. Minor detail but it has a rain tray an 6' did not have one. Could be a swapped lid. Why is the engine and trans out? Engine turn over?

That lid wouldn't close on a factory six air cleaner for starters,all about real numbers now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ,appears they might be there ???
Yea those whimpy six's ...really ,way better engine than the best stock 2 litre 4 ever was,tell me wrong Dave,sounds like a very random statement.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 10 2016, 07:15 AM
Post #37

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 9 2016, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Karguy12 @ Dec 9 2016, 06:07 PM) *

Not much--EXCEPT to someone with the 914-6 that it came out of. (Worth somewhere in between to someone with a 914-6 wanting an engine/trans at least of the correct type.) The 914-6 motor was basically a 1969 911T motor, AKA the wimpiest 911 motor ever produced. And a rebuild on it is nearly as expensive as a rebuild on a much higher-powered and better-regarded engine, so demand for them is relatively low.

--DD

About $8-10k. That's with all the parts you described. Based off what I've gotten for the same parts. Demand for a 911t engine might be lower than the later engines but there is still a demand. Just go on earlySreg. There is still good money moving around for these early engines.

+Quote Post
Karguy12
post Dec 10 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #38

About $8-10k. That's with all the parts you described. Based off what I've gotten for the same parts. Demand for a 911t engine might be lower than the later engines but there is still a demand. Just go on earlySreg. There is still good money moving around for these early engines.

So based on this, if the car is NOT real, I've got about $10,000 in 914/6 parts (engine trans and suspension), and maybe $2,000-$4,000 in a parts car with the wheels? So around $12,000 conservatively?

Another possibility is that it is a rear clipped car fixed from a rear end collision years ago. (that could be another explanation for the broken trans mounting arm) If that is the case, and there is a real 914/6 front clip, and a 914/4 rear clip with all of the 914/6 running gear, what does that make this frankenstein car worth?

I will be able to inspect the body up on jacks next week.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 10 2016, 08:35 AM
Post #39

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Karguy12 @ Dec 10 2016, 09:21 AM) *

So based on this, if the car is NOT real, I've got about $10,000 in 914/6 parts (engine trans and suspension), and maybe $2,000-$4,000 in a parts car with the wheels? So around $12,000 conservatively?

Another possibility is that it is a rear clipped car fixed from a rear end collision years ago. (that could be another explanation for the broken trans mounting arm) If that is the case, and there is a real 914/6 front clip, and a 914/4 rear clip with all of the 914/6 running gear, what does that make this frankenstein car worth?

I will be able to inspect the body up on jacks next week.

There's a lot of pricey parts in a 914-6 besides the engine and trans.
+Quote Post
bretth
post Dec 10 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Another thing the car should have is the throttle/choke lever in front of the shifter. And under the top dash panel might be a hand written VIN number. But then those things still may only just validate the front of the car being real.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:37 PM