Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rust repair
ricardo
post Dec 9 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,572
Region Association: North East States

Has anybody had any experience replacing rusty floor sections with premade panels or sheet metal patches attached with panel adhesive? It's used by car manufacturers in most new cars to replace welding.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This question comes up every 6 months or so. Our cars are not new cars. Really should be welded like originally done. Your going to have to fabricate pieces to fit the rusty sections anyway. If you just glue in all the little pieces it will look like paper mache'
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Dec 9 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

I can see trying to get by with adhesive on a cosmetic panel, like a fender patch, but for anything structural like floors they must be welded as designed.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 9 2016, 12:23 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I often think this comes from peeps hoping to get around the expence of a welder.
Personally if you plan to fab steel, even for seemingly minor projects and repairs, a MIG welder and a small gas bottle is the best tool investment you will ever make.

Some of the china welders (Everlast, Longevity which BTW is Eastwood, etc) have come a long way and are a damn good buy for a hobbiest.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 9 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Mark speaks the truth! I got a 110v Century MIG 25 years ago, and it's paid for itself two or three times.

You are asking for advice, so here's mine. IMHO we have eclipsed the day of using a piece of a Cadillac hood to fix a 914 floor pan, or whatever home fabricated patch. These cars are on a trajectory to significantly appreciate in the next 5 -10 years, and trying to save a few bucks today could cost in the long run. That said, it's your car and you should proceed as you see fit.

In the FWIW department, there was a 70's Cadillac hood that had a step that lined up pretty good for a 914 floor pan patch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 10 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

No
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 10 2016, 12:39 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 9 2016, 11:23 AM) *

I often think this comes from peeps hoping to get around the expence of a welder.
Personally if you plan to fab steel, even for seemingly minor projects and repairs, a MIG welder and a small gas bottle is the best tool investment you will ever make.

Some of the china welders (Everlast, Longevity which BTW is Eastwood, etc) have come a long way and are a damn good buy for a hobbiest.

Love my Eastwood - infinite adjustability and it burns everything I've put it to so far including 1/4 inch. Damn good for the money!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:21 AM