Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AFM flap must have bent, L-Jet tweeked for a 1911 cc
malcolm2
post Dec 17 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

well the backfire valve did not work, cause mine has one of those.

It seems that finding the proper one (at a good price) will be difficult. (75 7-pin, Bosch 0 280 201 002)Even the option of an older model, or a Non 914 will take some digging. I don't mind the challenge of changing the guts.

My guess is same year VW might be close, what other model year cars should I look for?

I emailed the Phoenix guy, I'll try to call when the sun rises in the west.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 17 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #22

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Try Bruce Stone too
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 17 2016, 02:23 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 19,266

Back in the day they just replaced the part even though they are repairable. First make sure there are ZERO vacuum leaks in the system. The main boot could have torn during the backfire or a hose loosened somewhere. If there is a leak you can work for a month and it won't run right. Next -Remove the wiper arm from the potentiometer. Manually move the flap to full open and let it close several times. If you notice any binding then try to determine where the bind is occurring and try to eliminate that which is highly likely you will be able to do. Check the potentiometer board for scoring or gouges and clean. If the board is damaged, you can find another L Jet potientomoter and change it out. I found a bus AFM and pulled a nice clean board out of that. If you are in there, open up the air temp sensor and clean the contacts. Next follow the videos on how to set the height etcetera of the wiper. That little chrome rod can bend and get caught so after it is installed manually move the flap full open and let close several times to check the flap action. If it now works fine you are good to go for the fine tuning of the spring setting which requires an O2 sensor. I bought a gauge and made my own tester. If it is getting stuck again, first check the chrome arm that opens the fuel pump contact. Note, that arm should just barely open the contact. When the flap is closed the end of the wiper contact will point exactly at the corner of one of the printed circuits. Check again to make sure you have a flap that will fully open then close without binding. If the wiper arm is too low it will bind when open and stay that way. Good luck.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 17 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #24

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

See: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/5899677329.html

A San Diego Craigslist ad for an AFM
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Dec 17 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(djway @ Dec 17 2016, 12:23 PM) *

Back in the day they just replaced the part even though they are repairable. First make sure there are ZERO vacuum leaks in the system. The main boot could have torn during the backfire or a hose loosened somewhere. If there is a leak you can work for a month and it won't run right. Next -Remove the wiper arm from the potentiometer. Manually move the flap to full open and let it close several times. If you notice any binding then try to determine where the bind is occurring and try to eliminate that which is highly likely you will be able to do. Check the potentiometer board for scoring or gouges and clean. If the board is damaged, you can find another L Jet potientomoter and change it out. I found a bus AFM and pulled a nice clean board out of that. If you are in there, open up the air temp sensor and clean the contacts. Next follow the videos on how to set the height etcetera of the wiper. That little chrome rod can bend and get caught so after it is installed manually move the flap full open and let close several times to check the flap action. If it now works fine you are good to go for the fine tuning of the spring setting which requires an O2 sensor. I bought a gauge and made my own tester. If it is getting stuck again, first check the chrome arm that opens the fuel pump contact. Note, that arm should just barely open the contact. When the flap is closed the end of the wiper contact will point exactly at the corner of one of the printed circuits. Check again to make sure you have a flap that will fully open then close without binding. If the wiper arm is too low it will bind when open and stay that way. Good luck.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Dec 19 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 17 2016, 05:36 PM) *

See: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/5899677329.html

A San Diego Craigslist ad for an AFM

Seems like a nice guy.... He is trying to find a friend with a PayPal account.

This could be it. fingers are crossed.
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 19 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 11,411
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Fuel Injection Corporation seems to sell remanufactured units with limited warranty. No personal knowledge of the company or product.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Dec 22 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 19 2016, 07:00 PM) *

Fuel Injection Corporation seems to sell remanufactured units with limited warranty. No personal knowledge of the company or product.

You are correct. +$300..... for new guts. My guts seem to be fine.

75 rebuild link
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:21 AM