Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Germany Bound
Bulldog9
post Dec 18 2016, 02:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Was given the verbal WARNO this week that the Army is planning to send me to Germany Next Summer, probably September time frame. I'll be in the Baumholder area, and looking forward to connecting with any World members in the area. I've passed through Frankfurt on my way to and from the land of wonder (sarcasm) but other than that only know Ireland and Greece, the Rest of Europe is a mystery. Really looking forward to looking up family origins (Irish, Norwegian, Czeck/German & Italian). In typical Army fashion, I will still deploy to Afgan, return early then over to GE with half a breath of timing in between.... Hopefully will be a 3 year gig. A bit of a surprise, but a good thing. Looking forward to linking up with any World members in advance and while there.

Will bring the 912 but probably will wait till after I am there a bit, get the lay of the land, housing ect. If there is a garage, I will bring it otherwise will store for 3 years...... grrrrr...... Much to plan between now and then. Thought I was going back to the East Coast, but......
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 18 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Good Luck over there Steve, but hope you don't have to take to arms while there!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Dec 18 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #3

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

Very nice. We loved our couple years in Italy. Spent loads of time in Germany. Lots of houses with garages IIRC, so hopefully you can get one. Depending on your current vehicles/family situation, possibly consider getting new family haulers/commuter cars in Germany and using your orders to ship the 912 for free...as long as you're pretty sure you can get it road legal in Germany. Italy was a bit of a pain to get things registered if it wasn't fairly new. Small vehicles, wagons and diesel are ideal for Europe, but I was surprised how popular my friends with full-size trucks were in Italy with people buying furniture...some made it a side job.

I had an M3 and drove it all over, on the Autobahn at ridiculous speeds, and around the Nurburgring a few times. Awesome experience.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 18 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks and bless you for your service! Words simply don't express our gratitude.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 18 2016, 04:00 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Thanks and bless you for your service! Words simply don't express our gratitude. (but perhaps a double post starts to give you an idea!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 18 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 18 2016, 01:05 PM) *

Good Luck over there Steve, but hope you don't have to take to arms while there!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom, but thats 'where the fun is' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) lol..... Though if it comes to being necessary for me to put some lead downrange things really are bad...... lol
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Dec 19 2016, 05:51 AM
Post #7

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Maybe your potential Europe tour has something to do with the 1600 tanks and personel to be shipped to NL and moved around Germany, Netherlands and Belgium ?

from the news:
"The US has started moving tanks to a storage facility in the Netherlands in a bid to “deter” Russia, amid the biggest NATO buildup in Europe since the Cold War.
A total of 1,600 vehicles are due to be stored"
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 19 2016, 07:29 AM
Post #8

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

Wow, the more things change the more they stay the same. As a former "cold warrior" I'm getting all nostalgic and stuff.

Be safe in SWA and have a great time in Germany, Steve. I loved my time there (the latter...not so much the former).
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Dec 19 2016, 03:40 PM
Post #9

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327

Steve, thanks for your service and safe travels. I hope to see some nice pictures of your beautiful 912 pulled up to some German castle.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 21 2016, 09:56 PM
Post #10

Thanks Gents. As the date approaches, will likely pop in and get a list of reputable shippers, etc. NOT giving my beauty to the 'lowest bidder' contractor to be stuffed on some low budget ship and sent across the atlantic....... lol
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post Dec 22 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #11

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

"As the date approaches, will likely pop in and get a list of reputable shippers, etc"
I shipped three cars and several parts from USA to Netherlands and have good and bad names for you from my adventures in case you decide to ship to destination Rotterdam or Amsterdam.
Of course this is from my side as importing party, I think there will be guys with more experience on the exporting (USA) side but maybe it helps.
+Quote Post
carcus
post Dec 22 2016, 01:19 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Nice OPSEC.....be safe.
+Quote Post
carcus
post Dec 22 2016, 01:37 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,760
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

And....do not call a TDY to Germany a deployment. Just saying. Hate the guys that went to Europe so they sent us to the sand box.....watch what you post online. I assume you are a young troop. Enjoy your vacation. Spang and Rammstein are nice places to visit.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Dec 22 2016, 07:51 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you for your service and be safe.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Dec 22 2016, 09:14 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 22 2016, 02:37 AM) *

And....do not call a TDY to Germany a deployment. Just saying. Hate the guys that went to Europe so they sent us to the sand box.....watch what you post online. I assume you are a young troop. Enjoy your vacation. Spang and Rammstein are nice places to visit.

Dude, he already said he has a deployment to AFG. He didn't ASK to be sent to Germany... just following orders.

Thanks for your service Steve and do enjoy your time over there when you can.
+Quote Post
sofi2t81
post Dec 22 2016, 10:54 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,458
Region Association: Germany

Let's switch to the nice things.

Enjoy food without corn syrup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) , good bread and as many good beer as you can get. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Try to get a fast car and go on the A81 or so at Sunday afternoon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Go to a soccer match and the Oktoberfest.

... and try to make the best out of the stay.

Und lerne etwas deutsch... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Peter
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Dec 22 2016, 08:47 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(carcus @ Dec 21 2016, 11:37 PM) *

Hey High Speed.................. I'm on trip 6 to the lands of eternal need and wonder.... Pay attention & check yourself....... Poor guy had to go to the sandbox? Man up dude, we all serve and go where we are sent. Hate your fellow soldiers? And as for OPSEC.... Dude get a clue.

This is a Deployment to AFGAN, Redeploy and then good old 3 year PCS to GE.... in all of it works out will be my first Europe assignment and Nice way to roll into retirement. It's all good though, have a great night and Merry Christmas! CS is nice at Christmas time.
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Dec 22 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #18

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232
Region Association: None

Effin A, Steve. Gotta take some to get some. A trip to the moon sucks, but Germany will be sooo green afterward! Was at Balad about 13 years ago and ended up with a short trip to Ramstein for a couple days. Huge sensory shock going from brown go green. Best of luck, and seriously let us know if you need anything. I guarantee the World will deliver!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 22 2016, 10:33 PM
Post #19

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Thank you, Steve from me and my family. I truly appreciate your service to not only our country, but every other country around the globe that we defend. If it weren't for men and women like you, this entire planet would be a very nasty place. Merry Christmas and stay safe in your travels.
+Quote Post
Catorse
post Dec 22 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 19,106
Region Association: Southwest Region

As a reserve CPT and Company Commander in the good old CAARNG, I am not seeing the OPSEC violation here. It's not like he's giving detailed troop movements and trips to the 'Stan and Germany are so common as to be useless information to anyone.

Stay safe Steve and God Speed.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 02:42 PM